Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zac Taylor is the 15th NFL coach to begin his career 0-7. Only 2...
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
Look at this who's who of coaches:

Here's how the others have fared (during the regular season):
Harvey Johnson (Bills) 1-13 *
Forrest Gregg (Browns, Bengals, Packers) 75-85-1
John McKay (Buccaneers) 44-88-1
Bud Wilkinson (Cardinals) 9-20
Hugh Campbell (Oilers) 8-22
Chris Palmer (Browns) 5-27
Marty Mornhinweg (Lions) 5-27
Cam Cameron (Dolphins) 1-15
Steve Spagnuolo (Rams, Giants) 11-41
Raheem Morris (Bucs) 17-31
Chan Gailey (Cowboys, Bills) 34-46
Gus Bradley (Jaguars) 14-48
* does not include AFL coaching record

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2019/10/21/zac-taylor-becomes-15th-nfl-coach-start-career-0-7/4055672002/
Reply/Quote
Yyyyyyep.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
So, what you're saying is there's a 13.33% chance he turns into a HOF coach...

I've seen worse odds.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 09:54 PM)Ravage Wrote: So, what you're saying is there's a 13.33% chance he turns into a HOF coach...

I've seen worse odds.

Precisely. And a HUGE chance that he's a really mediocre coach that never is a HC again after here.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 09:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Precisely. And a HUGE chance that he's a really mediocre coach that never is a HC again after here.

Oh, don't misunderstand, I'm not defending Taylor. I'm just trying to look for any hope in a largely hopeless situation. ZT wasn't the guy I wanted to replace Giggles (Bieniemy was). I wasn't impressed with him when he was hired. I was far less impressed with him when the staff started getting announced (Jim Turner & DC roulette especially). Giving Bobby Hart $7Mil/year left a hand print on my face from facepalming so hard; and the draft rounds 2-7 didn't fill me with confidence either.

For all our sanity's sake I hope he gets things turned around, but so far I've seen nothing since he was hired that makes me think he's remotely capable of doing the job he was hired to do. The front office deserves to shoulder some of the blame too, it's not all on ZT.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 10:07 PM)Ravage Wrote: Oh, don't misunderstand, I'm not defending Taylor. I'm just trying to look for any hope in a largely hopeless situation. ZT wasn't the guy I wanted to replace Giggles (Bieniemy was). I wasn't impressed with him when he was hired. I was far less impressed with him when the staff started getting announced (Jim Turner & DC roulette especially). Giving Bobby Hart $7Mil/year left a hand print on my face from facepalming so hard; and the draft rounds 2-7 didn't fill me with confidence either.

For all our sanity's sake I hope he gets things turned around, but so far I've seen nothing since he was hired that makes me think he's remotely capable of doing the job he was hired to do. The front office deserves to shoulder some of the blame too, it's not all on ZT.

I think ZT could be a good coach down the road. Here are some reasons to give him the benefit of the doubt:
  • He started behind the clock vs experienced veteran coaches and had last pick of what assistant coaches were left. Didn't get the best start there.
  • His latency to the job may have stunted his free agency plan, Perhaps with more time, he gets a beneficial FA
  • His overall #1 Draft pick got hurt right away.
  • His best player got hurt right away.
  • He has caught some tough breaks, particularly his QB turning the ball over at the end of games

On the flip side, his team hasn't shown much discipline, and there seems to be something going on with the OL that he hasn't taken care of within the personnel. Something smells fishy and it starts with Jim Turner. Guys quitting, the injury bug with Glenn, plain bad play by the rest. Good coaches fix those issues. Zac hasn't done that. 

I say keep Zac going, give him a full off-season to rest for a minute. He went from losing a Super Bowl to coaching the Bengals in the flash of a second. He is learning a lot of lessons this season, the HARD way, but sometimes people are resilient. We'll have to wait and see what the overlord decides to do with Zac.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 10:07 PM)Ravage Wrote: Oh, don't misunderstand, I'm not defending Taylor. I'm just trying to look for any hope in a largely hopeless situation. ZT wasn't the guy I wanted to replace Giggles (Bieniemy was). I wasn't impressed with him when he was hired. I was far less impressed with him when the staff started getting announced (Jim Turner & DC roulette especially). Giving Bobby Hart $7Mil/year left a hand print on my face from facepalming so hard; and the draft rounds 2-7 didn't fill me with confidence either.

Honestly, other than drafting Jonah...and that turned south in a hurry with his injury...did the team make ANY moves in the offseason to excite the fanbase after changing coaches?

And poof...we're 0-7 now.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 10:31 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I think ZT could be a good coach down the road. Here are some reasons to give him the benefit of the doubt:

• He started behind the clock vs experienced veteran coaches and had last pick of what assistant coaches were left. Didn't get the best start there.
  • His latency to the job may have stunted his free agency plan, Perhaps with more time, he gets a beneficial FA
  • His overall #1 Draft pick got hurt right away.
  • His best player got hurt right away.
  • He has caught some tough breaks, particularly his QB turning the ball over at the end of games

On the flip side, his team hasn't shown much discipline, and there seems to be something going on with the OL that he hasn't taken care of within the personnel. Something smells fishy and it starts with Jim Turner. Guys quitting, the injury bug with Glenn, plain bad play by the rest. Good coaches fix those issues. Zac hasn't done that. 

I say keep Zac going, give him a full off-season to rest for a minute. He went from losing a Super Bowl to coaching the Bengals in the flash of a second. He is learning a lot of lessons this season, the HARD way, but sometimes people are resilient. We'll have to wait and see what the overlord decides to do with Zac.

You know, everyone talks about the Super Bowl being a huge excuse for the terrible staff...but other teams skirt that rule all the time and ask the HC in waiting who they want the staff to be. With the way he hired friends, I doubt that many of his preferred guys got hired elsewhere.

The playcalling has been terrible. It hasn't improved either. He needs replaced as OC.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 09:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I wonder who ZT will be compared to after he goes 0-8 next week.

Dave Shula had a 5-11 record his first year. Can ZT get up to the worst coach in Bengals history or will he become the new Bengals worst coach ever? Seriously, the comparisons should be starting.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 11:45 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I wonder who ZT will be compared to after he goes 0-8 next week.

Dave Shula had a 5-11 record his first year. Can ZT get up to the worst coach in Bengals history or will he become the new Bengals worst coach ever? Seriously, the comparisons should be starting.

Yes - He can no longer be compared to Wyche.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 09:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Precisely. And a HUGE chance that he's a really mediocre coach that never is a HC again after here.

Isn't that the case with most coaches?
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 09:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

And the liklihood of him having similar success to Johnson or Walsh within the confines of this organization is not great.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 12:08 PM)Big Boss Wrote: And the liklihood of him having similar success to Johnson or Walsh within the confines of this organization is not great.

More like microscopically tiny.

We've already seen some players quitting the team outright, others on extended double extra injury rehabs and inner-squad squabbles on the sidelines.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 09:54 PM)Ravage Wrote: So, what you're saying is there's a 13.33% chance he turns into a HOF coach...

I've seen worse odds.

20% chance of taking a team to the Super Bowl.

And John McKay has his team in the Conference Championship game just three years after his 0-7 start. 

So these odds are not that bad.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 03:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 20% chance of taking a team to the Super Bowl.

And John McKay has his team in the Conference Championship game just three years after his 0-7 start. 

So these odds are not that bad.

Yeah...with a management team that hasn't won a playoff game in 28+ years.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 04:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...with a management team that hasn't won a playoff game in 28+ years.

Forrest Gregg took a team to the Super Bowl that had never won a single playoff game in its history.
Reply/Quote

Well, this is complete BS and Enquirer Sports should be ashamed they didn't research before opening their traps. Tom Landry started 0-10 then finished 0-11-1. He went on to be one of the most successful coaches in league history.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 04:30 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Well, this is complete BS and Enquirer Sports should be ashamed they didn't research before opening their traps. Tom Landry started 0-10 then finished 0-11-1. He went on to be one of the most successful coaches in league history.

That was long before the NFL-AFL merger.
Reply/Quote

Mediocre?  Those coaches you listed were a combined 224-463-2.  That is bottom of the barrel.
Reply/Quote