Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zac Taylor might bring in outside candidate for QB Coach
Many of us have naturally assumed that Brad Kragthorpe would simply be elevated to fill the vacancy of Dan Pitcher's previous role as QB Coach. It seems like he may want to inject some new blood and fresh ideas into the coaching staff, by taking a look at Tampa TE Coach John Van Dam.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/zac-taylor-could-look-outside-bengals-to-fill-qb-coach-role/ar-BB1hLACz?ocid=msedgntp&pc=U531&cvid=f2362bf91b2547eb84e144d2b10ccbb1&ei=192

Quote:The Cincinnati Bengals could still make a minor move along the coaching staff in the wake of Dan Pitcher assuming offensive coordinator responsibilities after Brian Callahan left to serve as head coach of the Tennessee Titans.

While it was presumed that the Bengals would promote from within by having assistant Brad Kragthorpe take over the quarterbacks coach spot left vacant by Pitcher, it sounds like the team will look at outside options too.

According to Greg Auman of Fox Sports, Tampa Bay Buccaneers tight ends coach John Van Dam has been in the conversation to come to Cincinnati.

Van Dam has served in three different offensive roles since joining the Buccaneers, so he's a candidate to come over and expand his resume while trying to climb up to a coordinator spot over time. More to the point, one of the concerns Bengals fans might've raised when the team promoted Pitcher to coordinator was a lack of new voices providing fresh ideas to the offense.

Hiring someone like Van Dam from outside would help in that area, too
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Wonder how much, if any, say Burrow would have in this hire?
I know his job is player - not coach/front office person but I would think this should be someone he would be comfortable with. Hopefully they at least get his opinion on the new hire.
I also think it would be good to get someone from outside on the offensive staff. A different perspective never hurts.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2024, 01:45 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: Wonder how much, if any, say Burrow would have in this hire?
I know his job is player - not coach/front office person but I would think this should be someone he would be comfortable with.  Hopefully they at least get his opinion on the new hire.
I also think it would be good to get someone from outside on the offensive staff.  A different perspective never hurts.

Either way it goes, Burrow is getting a new QB Coach.  Personally, I would think that whomever interviews for the position would have to be prepared for Joe to be sitting in on at least part of the interview process.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2024, 01:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Many of us have naturally assumed that Brad Kragthorpe would simply be elevated to fill the vacancy of Dan Pitcher's previous role as QB Coach. It seems like he may want to inject some new blood and fresh ideas into the coaching staff, by taking a look at Tampa TE Coach John Van Dam.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/zac-taylor-could-look-outside-bengals-to-fill-qb-coach-role/ar-BB1hLACz?ocid=msedgntp&pc=U531&cvid=f2362bf91b2547eb84e144d2b10ccbb1&ei=192

Greg Auman is the only one on the planet who has mentioned Van Dam. Don’t you find that interesting. All kinds of people mentioning this but their only source is Auman.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Is it true Van Dam's middle name is Claude? Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2024, 02:32 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Greg Auman is the only one on the planet who has mentioned Van Dam. Don’t you find that interesting. All kinds of people mentioning this but their only source is Auman.

So? A team naming the TE coach of another team to fill their newly vacated QB coach position isn't exactly "big news" to anyone who isn't a Bengal or Buccaneer fan.  If there were nothing to it, I would think that the Bengals would have already named Kragthorpe or at least denied interest in Van Dam.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Right. The idea floated around here that Brad couldn't be named because he was at the E/W Game is long passed. At the very least this "rumor" and the delay in naming Brad leads to an outside hire. Whoever that may end up being.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2024, 03:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So? A team naming the TE coach of another team to fill their newly vacated QB coach position isn't exactly "big news" to anyone who isn't a Bengal or Buccaneer fan.  If there were nothing to it, I would think that the Bengals would have already named Kragthorpe or at least denied interest in Van Dam.

I think it’s unusual nobody on the Bengals beat has even addressed it. JMHO. The Bengals aren’t going to embarrass him by saying it’s false.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2024, 03:51 PM)jj22 Wrote: Right. The idea floated around here that Brad couldn't be named because he was at the E/W Game is long passed. At the very least this "rumor" and the delay in naming Brad leads to an outside hire. Whoever that may end up being.

That is spot on.  The Bowl games are over and there still hasnt been an announcement?  The fact there is such a delay is probably proof they are looking at other candidates.   Brad could end up getting the job when all is said and done but I think it is obvious they are considering other options.
Reply/Quote
I believe it was Rapien who mentioned that Pitcher might have crossed paths with Van Dam during the interview last year and that's how he's on their radar.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Bring in Kurt Warner for QB coach.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2024, 01:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: taking a look at Tampa TE Coach John Van Dam.

Any relation to Luther? If so, sign that MF. (chime in theme song) dadadada da da da da, dadadada da da da daaaaaa.

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2024, 11:30 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Any relation to Luther? If so, sign that MF. (chime in theme song) dadadada da da da da, dadadada da da da daaaaaa.

Rising all the way up from the ranks of Minnesota St.?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Is it this dude:

[Image: R.a48b1f28eb1f0872b36c424b85f8e9b4?rik=d...ImgRaw&r=0]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2024, 10:24 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Bring in Kurt Warner for QB coach.

LOL, I can see Kurt walking away from his 2 day a week $3M TV job to come to Cincy for a 60 hour, 6 day a week grind for 200k.  Maybe give Tom Brady a call too...?

Reply/Quote
This was in USA Sports today

"The Cincinnati Bengals are toying with the idea of making Frank Pollack the new QB coach. When asked about this odd move the front office simply replied, "Frank doesn't know what the hell he's doing as Offensive Line and Run Coordinator, whats one more task and hes already on payroll"
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2024, 02:44 PM)casear2727 Wrote: LOL, I can see Kurt walking away from his 2 day a week $3M TV job to come to Cincy for a 60 hour, 6 day a week grind for 200k.  Maybe give Tom Brady a call too...?

Stay inhouse and go with Boomer.

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2024, 02:44 PM)casear2727 Wrote: LOL, I can see Kurt walking away from his 2 day a week $3M TV job to come to Cincy for a 60 hour, 6 day a week grind for 200k.  Maybe give Tom Brady a call too...?

Had no idea Warner was doing media stuff. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2024, 04:23 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Had no idea Warner was doing media stuff. 

He's been at it for a while. He joined NFL Network about 14 years ago now. I knew he had been in the media for some time but had no idea it was that long ago. 
Reply/Quote

You never know. Some people want to get back in it.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote