Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Zac Taylor prediction
(12-05-2019, 01:25 PM)jason Wrote: Those weapons are at least as good or better than what Buffalo has... They're getting much better results.

Indeed. And a team like the Steelers that have been decimated by injuries. We could probably compile a much larger list too.
Reply/Quote
No doubt, ZT, has been a pretty bad OC this season, but it does seem that he has a knack for getting players to play hard in a losing season - not an easy feat for ANY HC, let alone a rookie one. I'm willing to give him this upcoming offseason and the next season before writing him off. But, there MUST be changes in the offseason (giving up playcalling duties, Zac, for starters) and there must be improvement next season.

If we head into next season with the only changes being new players via the draft, then Zac better have the greatest turnaround in NFL history or he's done.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 01:34 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's just it. He likely needed a couple years as an OC under an established coach before he made this jump. He has no one to learn from here.

At least three things could happen:

1.  Zac gains experience and ends up becoming respected as a Head Coach/Co-ordinator

2.  Zac continues to underwhelm as a Head Coach/Co-ordinator which threatens his career

3.  Zac (or the Bengals) decide that he may survive better longer term as a Head Coach by hiring an Offensive Co-ordinator
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 01:44 PM)PhilHos Wrote: No doubt, ZT, has been a pretty bad OC this season, but it does seem that he has a knack for getting players to play hard in a losing season - not an easy feat for ANY HC, let alone a rookie one. I'm willing to give him this upcoming offseason and the next season before writing him off. But, there MUST be changes in the offseason (giving up playcalling duties, Zac, for starters) and there must be improvement next season.

If we head into next season with the only changes being new players via the draft, then Zac better have the greatest turnaround in NFL history or he's done.

I agree with that. He does seem to keep the guys playing hard and they seem to like him. That's probably more of a HC trait than an OC trait.

We still hired a supposed 'offensive genius' to modernize the offense that can't do that. That's a big problem.

Callahan seems to be a flop too.
Reply/Quote
The guy is in a tough spot, but it only took him the bare minimum 11 games to break losing records this organization took decades to establish.

Even for a bengals coach his ability to lose is amazing. If he leaves here with a record near .500 I'll be stunned but I can't see the future. He's in a deep hole now though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 12:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He stepped into a total shitstorm so I don't think it is fair to judge him too harshly but on the other hand i have seen absolutely no creativity or motivational skills.

How can you say he has no motivational skills. On an 0-11 team, I don't see much quit in the players, they are still playing hard, supporting each other and the staff, not turning on each other in the locker room and placing blame. Holding the locker room in a dismal season takes motivational skills.....
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 01:16 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Let me guess, it’s just like in the movie Hoosiers. He just had to get the kids to buy into his genius.

They've already bought in. 
Reply/Quote
Just remember where you heard it first!!!
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 02:13 PM)Sled21 Wrote: How can you say he has no motivational skills. On an 0-11 team, I don't see much quit in the players, they are still playing hard, supporting each other and the staff, not turning on each other in the locker room and placing blame. Holding the locker room in a dismal season takes motivational skills.....

I think it says a LOT about Zac's motivational skills that Dalton resumed starting duties with no animosity or issues made public AND that Glenn is on the field playing and seems to be playing well. I honestly didn't expect Glenn to see the field AT ALL after the issues we were having with him earlier.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 02:19 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Just remember where you heard it first!!!

You aren't first... Only the first to say it after seeing how damn bad he is.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 02:13 PM)Sled21 Wrote: How can you say he has no motivational skills. On an 0-11 team, I don't see much quit in the players, they are still playing hard, supporting each other and the staff, not turning on each other in the locker room and placing blame. Holding the locker room in a dismal season takes motivational skills.....

Every play is on Tape... You wanna keep getting paid you keep playing hard.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 02:19 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Just remember where you heard it first!!!

I saw it more than "heard" it since you wrote it but OK.

12/5/19 at 12:20 pm eastern time I saw it/heard it from Sled 21. 

Here is to you ending up being right.  Who Dey
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 01:20 PM)BengalChris Wrote: This is more of a hope and prayer for the stars to align and beam down some cosmic new abilities into a guy who has failed miserably bad.

Currently, the stars are not aligned. AJ's contract is up. Dalton appears to be done with the Bengals, the OL sucks oh so badly, the 2019 draft was horrific, the team still needs 3 new LBers, the other aging stars are still aging and are not being replaced by new stars who have similar talent.

Mike Brown seems to have regained his faith in the dumpster diving for free agents, but he's decided to overpay for trash to show he's not as cheap as he appears. Witness 3 year deals for Hart and Webb. Even the extension for Gio for top 15 RB money borders on the absurd.

Even if Taylor were a good coach, and he isn't, the team isn't aligning itself for future success. The team is run by a committee know-nothings.

The glass half full analysis on the other hand would be that the stars seem to be aligning: in line for the no.1 draft pick at a time when they are ready to move on from their QB and the no.1 QB draft prospect is completing an unprecedented close-to-80% of their passes. The O-line is set to be reinforced by the return from injury of the best O-lineman in last year's draft, there's loads of cap space and if you lose your top WR this is the draft to do it in as it is deep as at WR.

If Burrow turns out to be that generational number that his numbers this year suggest, Coach Taylor has the best Head Coaching job in football.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 02:24 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Every play is on Tape... You wanna keep getting paid you keep playing hard.

You would think, but I have seen many examples of losing teams throwing in the towel and going through the motions when the season gets away...
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 02:33 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: The glass half full analysis on the other hand would be that the stars seem to be aligning: in line for the no.1 draft pick at a time when they are ready to move on from their QB and the no.1 QB draft prospect is completing an unprecedented close-to-80% of their passes. The O-line is set to be reinforced by the return from injury of the best O-lineman in last year's draft, there's loads of cap space and if you lose your top WR this is the draft to do it in as it is deep as at WR.

If Burrow turns out to be that generational number that his numbers this year suggest, Coach Taylor has the best Head Coaching job in football.

Yeah, those draft picks are unproven in the NFL. None are a surefire thing. Marvin sat his #1 pick and still went on to a .500 record his first season.

Even if those talents work out, there's plenty of talent on its way out of town and no replacements in sight.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 02:18 PM)Sled21 Wrote: They've already bought in. 

The results haven’t been too good so far. Buying in is a big part of winning. An even bigger part is talent and what they’re buying into. The Offensive play calling hasn’t been worth buying into so far.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 11:28 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Taylor will become one of the winningest Bengals coaches. You heard it here 1st.

You’ve got some real balls coming here and posting something like this with the way this year has gone. I did that once but I sure as hell didn’t stick around to argue with this group so props to you ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 01:50 PM)depthchart Wrote: At least three things could happen:

1.  Zac gains experience and ends up becoming respected as a Head Coach/Co-ordinator

2.  Zac continues to underwhelm as a Head Coach/Co-ordinator which threatens his career

3.  Zac (or the Bengals) decide that he may survive better longer term as a Head Coach by hiring an Offensive Co-ordinator

And IF they hire an OC that calls plays because he failed in that role...it's a failure. He was hired as an offensive genius to usher in a new and modern offense. He would have failed to do that.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 02:36 PM)Sled21 Wrote: You would think, but I have seen many examples of losing teams throwing in the towel and going through the motions when the season gets away...

Ida know...let's see who else is looking really bad right now:

3-9 Dolphins have Fitz and the gutted roster playing hard enough to try to screw their tanking plans and knock around some teams that are playing for their playoff lives, like the Eagles

4-8 Jets spent the early season with a 3rd string QB and showed some life and have a promising young QB doing what he can with a sub-par roster but may also have major coaching issues

4-8 Chargers and 3-9 Falcons have franchise QBs who may be done and/or HCs who could get the boot

4-8 Broncos also have a dead former franchise QB putting them behind the eight ball and are 1-0 with their rookie QB who reinvigorated them

4-8 Jaguars replaced an over-paid Foles with an underdog done pretty good story in late round rookie and odd name champion, Gardener Minshew

3 and 2 and 3 win Skins and Giants and Cardinals are attempting to show their rookie QBs have some talent and promise for the future

3-8 Lions stink like the Lions usually do and Stafford has a broken back and his wife had a brain tumor....geez.  also, their HC looks like Bluto and he loses just as much

So basically, almost every team that stinks right now (other than the Chargers and maybe Falcons) has some sort of "we're giving it our all" sort of narrative or glaring issues with their roster/coaches.  I guess you can look at us like the Skins or Giants or something but we have a HC who is in way over his head and drowning rather than playing like crap on the field...either way, are we that special?  Would anyone really give the Bengals some sort of participation trophy for how enthused they are about being 1-11?
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 02:18 PM)Sled21 Wrote: They've already bought in. 

The only evidence that they've 'bought in' is he keeps saying it over and over in press conferences so you believe it.

We see players like AJ Green that were supposed to return 1st half of the year not back. We see the Cordy Glenn concussion thing and drama that caused with Glenn seemingly having to be forced to return. We see what 5-6 DC's rejecting this job.

The main evidence of buying in is that the players aren't doing nothing on the field. Interestingly teams like the Dolphins and Redskins are playing better of late too.

I suspect players just play hard out of selfish reasons...in that they're working for a next contract rather than as some sign that they believe in Taylor.
Reply/Quote