Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Zac Taylor prediction
(12-05-2019, 03:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: And IF they hire an OC that calls plays because he failed in that role...it's a failure. He was hired as an offensive genius to usher in a new and modern offense. He would have failed to do that.

But if that leads him to being successful as a "Head Coach" then he will have succeeded as a "Head Coach" and not as a
"Head Coach/Coordinator".  This could be one way the OP's prediction comes true.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 03:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The only evidence that they've 'bought in' is he keeps saying it over and over in press conferences so you believe it.

We see players like AJ Green that were supposed to return 1st half of the year not back. We see the Cordy Glenn concussion thing and drama that caused with Glenn seemingly having to be forced to return. We see what 5-6 DC's rejecting this job.

The main evidence of buying in is that the players aren't doing nothing on the field. Interestingly teams like the Dolphins and Redskins are playing better of late too.

I suspect players just play hard out of selfish reasons...in that they're working for a next contract rather than as some sign that they believe in Taylor.

I hear ya...it's hard to say that anyone is buying in on ZT after watching us scrape the bottom of the barrel and hire his flunky friends as assistant coaches, and that was before he broke records for losing.  If players and coaches legitimately buy into ZT we will see it this off-season.

The main thing is to recognize he's in a really tough situation but he's also responded by posting the worst record in the NFL so far.  It's like being given a car with a bad clutch and then driving it off the nearest cliff...sure the situation wasn't perfect but you really blew it, regardless.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 03:49 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I hear ya...it's hard to say that anyone is buying in on ZT after watching us scrape the bottom of the barrel and hire his flunky friends as assistant coaches, and that was before he broke records for losing.  If players and coaches legitimately buy into ZT we will see it this off-season.

The main thing is to recognize he's in a really tough situation but he's also responded by posting the worst record in the NFL so far.  It's like being given a car with a bad clutch and then driving it off the nearest cliff...sure the situation wasn't perfect but you really blew it, regardless.

Indeed. IF we were 6-6 right now or 5-7 it's one thing.

We're 1-11. This isn't a 1-11 roster.

You can literally say that all of the coaching hires in this past offseason have had more success than Taylor. We've seen minimal improvements.

Now, Kingsbury with the Cardinals...while they don't have a ton of wins...their offense has improved.

'After a strong effort on Sunday against the 49ers, it is up to No. 9 in Football Outsiders’ efficiency rankings -- a remarkable turnaround after finishing last by a comfortable distance in 2018.'

The Bengals are 30th on that list! (The Jets are 31st.)
Reply/Quote
Well, we won't know till we know. Tom Landry started 0-10. I don't like Taylors play calling, but I believe he has what it takes to be a highly successful HC. Part of that will be him recognizing he needs to let an OC call the offense. It may take him a minute, but I think he has what it takes.
Reply/Quote
I think Taylor has it in him to be a good HC, but I agree that we haven't seen it yet. I think he came into a bad situation and was already trying to play catch up with filling out his staff etc. He has the stigma of working under Mike Brown working against him in FA as well as in hiring assistant coaches. He also inherited a largely lifeless roster who do not expect to win. He's fighting an uphill battle for sure, but if he can survive long enough and has wits enough to turn over the roster and make the proper changes to his staff, I think he could turn out pretty well. Odds are he doesn't make it without a significant change of ways by Mikey B.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 04:07 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Well, we won't know till we know. Tom Landry started 0-10. I don't like Taylors play calling, but I believe he has what it takes to be a highly successful HC. Part of that will be him recognizing he needs to let an OC call the offense. It may take him a minute, but I think he has what it takes.

Why does this statement keep coming up?

It's like saying "Hey, let's pick our franchise star QB in the 6th round and we'll be set for almost 20 years...  'cause... you know... Brady"
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 02:20 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I think it says a LOT about Zac's motivational skills that Dalton resuming starting duties with no animosity or issues made public AND that Glenn is on the field playing and seems to be playing well. I honestly didn't expect Glenn to see the field AT ALL after the issues we were having with him earlier.

I fixed it for ya.   :andy:
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 06:44 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I fixed it for ya.   :andy:

Dalton is all Class.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 11:28 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Taylor will become one of the winningest Bengals coaches. You heard it here 1st.

Not saying much given the sad state of our franchise.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 07:14 PM)AlphaBengal Wrote: Not saying much given the sad state of our franchise.

well it says he believes ZT will be here at least another 10+years...
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 02:24 PM)depthchart Wrote: I saw it more than "heard" it since you wrote it but OK.

12/5/19 at 12:20 pm eastern time I saw it/heard it from Sled 21. 

Here is to you ending up being right.  Who Dey

I remember the offseason, people saying how everything Taylor did was refreshing. Practice field clock!
I remember after the 1 point loss to Seattle people telling me how great Taylor was and how I'd soon be proven wrong on him being a bad coach.

We're 1-11 now. 1 AND 11.

And our offense and defense are worse than they were last year. You can point to maybe 2-3 games where we looked like an actual NFL team out of 12.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 02:33 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: The glass half full analysis on the other hand would be that the stars seem to be aligning: in line for the no.1 draft pick at a time when they are ready to move on from their QB and the no.1 QB draft prospect is completing an unprecedented close-to-80% of their passes. The O-line is set to be reinforced by the return from injury of the best O-lineman in last year's draft, there's loads of cap space and if you lose your top WR this is the draft to do it in as it is deep as at WR.

If Burrow turns out to be that generational number that his numbers this year suggest, Coach Taylor has the best Head Coaching job in football.

Yeah...just like all the Top 5 picks in the 90's turned us into a perennial winner.

IF Burrow is a star QB, then yes this will be great. BUT, I think there's a good chance we end up picking 2nd.

Plus, the offensive line isn't Jonah Williams away. Basically they have 4 bad starters now and Hopkins who is a free agent.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 03:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ida know...let's see who else is looking really bad right now:

3-9 Dolphins have Fitz and the gutted roster playing hard enough to try to screw their tanking plans and knock around some teams that are playing for their playoff lives, like the Eagles

4-8 Jets spent the early season with a 3rd string QB and showed some life and have a promising young QB doing what he can with a sub-par roster but may also have major coaching issues

4-8 Chargers and 3-9 Falcons have franchise QBs who may be done and/or HCs who could get the boot

4-8 Broncos also have a dead former franchise QB putting them behind the eight ball and are 1-0 with their rookie QB who reinvigorated them

4-8 Jaguars replaced an over-paid Foles with an underdog done pretty good story in late round rookie and odd name champion, Gardener Minshew

3 and 2 and 3 win Skins and Giants and Cardinals are attempting to show their rookie QBs have some talent and promise for the future

3-8 Lions stink like the Lions usually do and Stafford has a broken back and his wife had a brain tumor....geez.  also, their HC looks like Bluto and he loses just as much

So basically, almost every team that stinks right now (other than the Chargers and maybe Falcons) has some sort of "we're giving it our all" sort of narrative or glaring issues with their roster/coaches.  I guess you can look at us like the Skins or Giants or something but we have a HC who is in way over his head and drowning rather than playing like crap on the field...either way, are we that special?  Would anyone really give the Bengals some sort of participation trophy for how enthused they are about being 1-11?

Yes - And a lot of the teams on that list have wins recently.

But, hey...we're 1-11 and PLAYING HARD!!! Take that haters! Zac is amazing!
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 04:07 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Well, we won't know till we know. Tom Landry started 0-10. I don't like Taylors play calling, but I believe he has what it takes to be a highly successful HC. Part of that will be him recognizing he needs to let an OC call the offense. It may take him a minute, but I think he has what it takes.

Landry coached an expansion Cowboys team. Taylor inherited a Bengals team in win-now mode.

So you believe that Taylor has what it takes to be a successful HC...which includes him recognizing that he's a bad OC?

Here's a hint...most great HC's are usually either highly skilled as offensive or defensive coordinators.

Taylor hired an offensive coordinator in Callahan who was equally inexperienced as him. 'Good HC's don't do that.' And somehow he couldn't seal the deal with JDR for DC.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 04:32 PM)HuDey Wrote: I think Taylor has it in him to be a good HC, but I agree that we haven't seen it yet. I think he came into a bad situation and was already trying to play catch up with filling out his staff etc. He has the stigma of working under Mike Brown working against him in FA as well as in hiring assistant coaches. He also inherited a largely lifeless roster who do not expect to win. He's fighting an uphill battle for sure, but if he can survive long enough and has wits enough to turn over the roster and make the proper changes to his staff, I think he could turn out pretty well. Odds are he doesn't make it without a significant change of ways by Mikey B.

My guess is he was naieve and thought that he could copy a lot of the Rams playbook and bring it here and have these guys perform well. Mixon, Green, Dalton, Bernard, Eifert, Boyd, and Ross are A LOT of talent.

I feel like the struggle with assistant coaches and coordinators had nothing to do with him starting late. I think it had to do with him. None of them with any options were going to come here and work for a HC that they thought was going to flop.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 06:36 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Why does this statement keep coming up?

It's like saying "Hey, let's pick our franchise star QB in the 6th round and we'll be set for almost 20 years...  'cause... you know... Brady"

Landry starting that bad is all we got. REALLY what team couldn't say that?

Dave Shula won 5 games his 1st year and had another 5 losses by 7 points or less.
Reply/Quote
Tiger
Assuming that ZT gets another year, and I think he will. The biggest thing to watch this offseason will be: 1. Coaching changes (who he let's go and who he hires. No coaching changes = ZT is clueless and it won't matter what players are brought in / drafted...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 07:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes - And a lot of the teams on that list have wins recently.

But, hey...we're 1-11 and PLAYING HARD!!! Take that haters! Zac is amazing!

A 1-11 team that is playing hard is either completely bereft of talent, or coaching, or both. This is like bragging that you studied for weeks for a test and then got an F minus.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 08:43 PM)JSR18 Wrote: Tiger
            Assuming that ZT gets another year, and I think he will. The biggest thing to watch this offseason will be: 1. Coaching changes (who he let's go and who he hires. No coaching changes = ZT is clueless and it won't matter what players are brought in / drafted...

Judging by how he hired friends...I doubt Turner, Lou, or Callahan are fired.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 09:00 PM)Nately120 Wrote: A 1-11 team that is playing hard is either completely bereft of talent, or coaching, or both.  This is like bragging that you studied for weeks for a test and then got an F minus.

When you don't have results at this massive level and there aren't more than minor improvements to point too...all you can really cite is effort.

Well the team definitely has talent. Even without AJ Green, the offensive skill positions are better than a decent amount of teams in the NFL. Definitely the Steelers and Bills...and they have much better records.
Reply/Quote