Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Zac Taylor prediction
(12-05-2019, 03:37 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: You’ve got some real balls coming here and posting something like this with the way this year has gone. I did that once but I sure as hell didn’t stick around to argue with this group so props to you ThumbsUp

What was your bold prediction?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I could name 5-6 defensive coordinators and an OT who apparently don't want to play for ZT:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 03:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ida know...let's see who else is looking really bad right now:

3-9 Dolphins have Fitz and the gutted roster playing hard enough to try to screw their tanking plans and knock around some teams that are playing for their playoff lives, like the Eagles

4-8 Jets spent the early season with a 3rd string QB and showed some life and have a promising young QB doing what he can with a sub-par roster but may also have major coaching issues

4-8 Chargers and 3-9 Falcons have franchise QBs who may be done and/or HCs who could get the boot

4-8 Broncos also have a dead former franchise QB putting them behind the eight ball and are 1-0 with their rookie QB who reinvigorated them

4-8 Jaguars replaced an over-paid Foles with an underdog done pretty good story in late round rookie and odd name champion, Gardener Minshew

3 and 2 and 3 win Skins and Giants and Cardinals are attempting to show their rookie QBs have some talent and promise for the future

3-8 Lions stink like the Lions usually do and Stafford has a broken back and his wife had a brain tumor....geez.  also, their HC looks like Bluto and he loses just as much

So basically, almost every team that stinks right now (other than the Chargers and maybe Falcons) has some sort of "we're giving it our all" sort of narrative or glaring issues with their roster/coaches.  I guess you can look at us like the Skins or Giants or something but we have a HC who is in way over his head and drowning rather than playing like crap on the field...either way, are we that special?  Would anyone really give the Bengals some sort of participation trophy for how enthused they are about being 1-11?

Most of those teams will be on the Bengals schedule, next year.  Oh, the joys of a last place season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Like I said when they first hired him,,,Dave Shula 2.0.But I will say,in his defense,This guy stepped straight into a major storm,and everything just went downhill from there.Hopefully,in time,he can dig himself out.After all,he’s not going anywhere.Remember who his boss is??? Mike Brown.
Reply/Quote
The funny thing is IF the Steelers hired an inexperienced HC, they'd load his staff with experience so he succeeded.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 06:36 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Why does this statement keep coming up?

It's like saying "Hey, let's pick our franchise star QB in the 6th round and we'll be set for almost 20 years...  'cause... you know... Brady"

Because it is a perfect example of why you cannot just write off a new head coach after his 1st season, let alone his 1st ten games.....
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 08:01 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Landry coached an expansion Cowboys team. Taylor inherited a Bengals team in win-now mode.

So you believe that Taylor has what it takes to be a successful HC...which includes him recognizing that he's a bad OC?

Here's a hint...most great HC's are usually either highly skilled as offensive or defensive coordinators.

Taylor hired an offensive coordinator in Callahan who was equally inexperienced as him. 'Good HC's don't do that.' And somehow he couldn't seal the deal with JDR for DC.

So you really think the Head Coach seals the deal for his coordinators, and not the front office??? Really?
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2019, 09:19 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Because it is a perfect example of why you cannot just write off a new head coach after his 1st season, let alone his 1st ten games.....

Landry took over an expansion team. And for every Landry, do you know how many coaches started 0 and something...and got fired and were terrible? Here's a hint: It's a LONG list.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2019, 09:21 AM)Sled21 Wrote: So you really think the Head Coach seals the deal for his coordinators, and not the front office??? Really?

These guys that were hired here were basically Taylors best friends. I doubt that Bengals management picked these guys. It's quite obvious.

Jim Turner is the guy that got Taylor the U of Cincy Offensive Coordinator job according to something I read. Do you really think it's coincidence that he's here? It's quite obvious that Taylor hired this staff.

I know it's all en vogue to blame management for everything, and they are terrible...but Taylor clearly picked this staff.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 09:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Judging by how he hired friends...I doubt Turner, Lou, or Callahan are fired.

Tiger  I'm hoping he hired turner because he was up against a short period to hire assistants/coordinators.

I'm hoping we see a new line coach and a new defensive coordinator (although Lou is starting to look a little better). Callahan seems to be OK, its ZT's play calling I take offense to...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 08:05 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: My guess is he was naieve and thought that he could copy a lot of the Rams playbook and bring it here and have these guys perform well. Mixon, Green, Dalton, Bernard, Eifert, Boyd, and Ross are A LOT of talent.

I feel like the struggle with assistant coaches and coordinators had nothing to do with him starting late. I think it had to do with him. None of them with any options were going to come here and work for a HC that they thought was going to flop.

It did limit the pool available to him, but you are probably right that he doesn’t have much cred among the coaching fraternity. Add that to Mike Brown being the owner and you get the staff we got.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2019, 11:03 AM)JSR18 Wrote: Tiger  I'm hoping he hired turner because he was up against a short period to hire assistants/coordinators.

I'm hoping we see a new line coach and a new defensive coordinator (although Lou is starting to look a little better). Callahan seems to be OK, its ZT's play calling I take offense to...

He's not going to fire Turner. Turner got Taylor the OC job at UC. There's no way Taylor will fire him.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2019, 10:46 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: These guys that were hired here were basically Taylors best friends. I doubt that Bengals management picked these guys. It's quite obvious.

Jim Turner is the guy that got Taylor the U of Cincy Offensive Coordinator job according to something I read. Do you really think it's coincidence that he's here? It's quite obvious that Taylor hired this staff.

I know it's all en vogue to blame management for everything, and they are terrible...but Taylor clearly picked this staff.

We don't know if Taylor picked other people first and Mgt. failed to pay what it would take to get them either....
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2019, 10:44 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Landry took over an expansion team. And for every Landry, do you know how many coaches started 0 and something...and got fired and were terrible? Here's a hint: It's a LONG list.

That's true, which is why this is called a "prediction'. We can predict he will be successful, or we can predict he will suck it up. From what I see of him, I predict the former. You don't. Only time will tell who is right.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2019, 02:46 PM)Sled21 Wrote: We don't know if Taylor picked other people first and Mgt. failed to pay what it would take to get them either....

Marvin never had a problem bringing in quality coaches. Taylor hires his friends. It wasn’t about money.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 10:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The funny thing is IF the Steelers hired an inexperienced HC, they'd load his staff with experience so he succeeded.

And the Bengals may have done that, but they decided to let Taylor pick his own staff.
Taylor may not have even chose to come to Cincinnati if he didn't get to pick his staff.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2019, 11:03 AM)JSR18 Wrote: Tiger  I'm hoping he hired turner because he was up against a short period to hire assistants/coordinators.

How do you know if Callahan is doing ok if the playcalling is terrible?
In my eyes, the offense is performing poorly and Taylor is calling the plays...so what is Callahan even doing?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2019, 03:15 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Marvin never had a problem bringing in quality coaches. Taylor hires his friends. It wasn’t about money.

Oh c'mon, quit revising history. How long did we hear complaints about Ketchup man, Brat, Hue, Paulie, etc. Outside of Zimmer, most people never liked Marvins coordinators while they were here
Reply/Quote
I feel like the most obvious thing we need to do is bring in an OC who compliments Zac Taylor and can do what he doesn't. If Taylor is a motivational guy who brings enthusiasm and positive attitude, maybe give him a technical OC like Pat Shurmur (assuming he is fired by the giants) or some college offensive phenom.

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2019, 02:46 PM)Sled21 Wrote: We don't know if Taylor picked other people first and Mgt. failed to pay what it would take to get them either....

Zac Taylor made the call on Jim Turner over Frank Pollack as OL coach:

From the article: For better or worse over the long term, the Cincinnati Bengals are allowing new head coach Zac Taylor to pick his own staff.

This includes his hiring of offensive line coach Jim Turner despite Frank Pollack having one year left on his deal.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/11/zac-taylor-made-call-jim-turner-over-frank-pollack/
Reply/Quote