Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zac Taylor's Gesture to Mike Hilton
I didn't notice it during the game, but apparently Zac sent Mike Hilton out for the two victory formation kneel downs at the end of the game.

Per the Athletic article recapping the game:

Quote:8. Hilton admitted the game was “definitely personal for me.”

9. Boyd offered some more insight into why, noting how his new teammate didn’t keep his feelings to himself when he gave a couple of speeches in front of the team, first on Friday and then again at the team hotel in Pittsburgh.

10. “He was just saying basically how he didn’t feel valued by them guys,” Boyd said in summarizing Hilton’s speech. “He was their leading turnover guy a year ago. For them to not invest in a guy like him is kind of insulting to a person because you know how good you are. You feel like you mean a lot to a team and an organization and feel like they stab you in the back. I don’t know what the situation was, and he didn’t say that in his exact words, but we understood the magnitude. That was pretty much how it is. He felt that way. He just wanted to go back there and show them boys why they ain’t value him. I felt everything in him.”

11. Bengals head coach Zac Taylor sent Boyd and Hilton out for the coin toss due to their Pittsburgh connections. Taylor also sent Hilton out for the final two snaps of the game when the Bengals offense was kneeling out the clock. Hilton said Monday he’s not normally the deep back in victory formation.

12. “I think it was a nod to me,” he said. “Also with me going out for the coin toss, I wasn’t expecting that. They told me in the team meeting. That was an exciting feeling to end it on the field in victory formation. I definitely loved that moment.”

So you have a guy who, let's be honest, probably chose Cincinnati because he wanted to play against the Steelers, the team that he felt slighted by and, in the game where we beat his former team, our coach sends him out for both the coin toss AND the victory formation kneel downs.

Based on the quotes from Hilton, he seems like he really appreciated the gesture.

Say what you want about ZT, but he knows how to get his players on his side. Honestly, that may be the most dangerous part about him haha. How do you fire a coach that the players all love?
Reply/Quote
Past issues aside, we THOROUGHLY outcoached Tomlin yesterday, for the 2nd straight time (and arguably the 3rd time out of 6; took a B.W. Webb slip on a slick field, to lose one of the games).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 10:49 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Past issues aside, we THOROUGHLY outcoached Tomlin yesterday, for the 2nd straight time (and arguably the 3rd time out of 6; took a B.W. Webb slip on a slick field, to lose one of the games).

Zac Taylor... Stiller Killer!!! Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 10:20 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I didn't notice it during the game, but apparently Zac sent Mike Hilton out for the two victory formation kneel downs at the end of the game.

So you have a guy who, let's be honest, probably chose Cincinnati because he wanted to play against the Steelers, the team that he felt slighted by and, in the game where we beat his former team, our coach sends him out for both the coin toss AND the victory formation kneel downs.

Based on the quotes from Hilton, he seems like he really appreciated the gesture.

Say what you want about ZT, but he knows how to get his players on his side. Honestly, that may be the most dangerous part about him  haha. How do you fire a coach that the players all love?

Like I've said, there's enough to show that ZT could become a good HC. The problem is his insistence on being a playcaller. He clearly is not an effective playcaller and the sooner he realizes that and "fires" himself as OC, the sooner he can try to reach his potential as a HC. It might be too little too late ... if this was any other team but the Bengals.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
That was smart of him to do and Hilton is in Taylor’s corner for sure.
The big problem (if you want Zac gone)is that Burrow seems to really like Taylor. The franchise QB is the one player you have to try to keep happy so I think Zacs here as long as Burrow still loves him. Now if they fall apart and end the season with another crappy record then even Burrow would have to be OK with a new HC.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 10:20 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I didn't notice it during the game, but apparently Zac sent Mike Hilton out for the two victory formation kneel downs at the end of the game.

Say what you want about ZT, but he knows how to get his players on his side. Honestly, that may be the most dangerous part about him  haha. How do you fire a coach that the players all love?

I think ZT is a decent enough head coach...its his play calling, offensive schemes, and some of his game management that I have a problem with.

As far as him "having" the locker room and how his players respond to him...I think he does a good job from what I can see. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 10:49 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Past issues aside, we THOROUGHLY outcoached Tomlin yesterday, for the 2nd straight time (and arguably the 3rd time out of 6; took a B.W. Webb slip on a slick field, to lose one of the games).

More like players make the biggest difference. Harris looked like Dillon out there, just their team was injured, demoralized and untalented. 16 yrs of Tomlin must be feeling like 15 yrs of Marvin. lol

Squeelers need to replace Ben ASAP, hopefully they dont get Newton for now.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 12:36 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: That was smart of him to do and Hilton is in Taylor’s corner for sure.
The big problem (if you want Zac gone)is that Burrow seems to really like Taylor. The franchise QB is the one player you have to try to keep happy so I think Zacs here as long as Burrow still loves him. Now if they fall apart and end the season with another crappy record then even Burrow would have to be OK with a new HC.

I’m not 100% sure I agree with this. The one thing we know is Joe Burrow wants to win. He’s a professional so I don’t think he will ever completely speak out against coaches or team mates. But you could tell how frustrated he was with play calling last week.

I’m pretty sure he would prefer joe Brady in there
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 12:36 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: That was smart of him to do and Hilton is in Taylor’s corner for sure.
The big problem (if you want Zac gone)is that Burrow seems to really like Taylor.  The franchise QB is the one player you have to try to keep happy so I think Zacs here as long as Burrow still loves him. Now if they fall apart and end the season with another crappy record then even Burrow would have to be OK with a new HC.

I don't and never have liked that take.  Players should (and usually do) want to win more than they want to play for a specific person.  That said, ZT is very liked by his players.  I don't think that's ever been the question.  As PhilHos and others have stated (and has been my opinion) is that the guy seems too caught up in his own ego to let someone else manage the offense and let him manage the team like a HC should.  Which is the same reason I don't care if a HC brought in is an "offensive/defensive genius".  I want a leader who brings in coordinators to be the geniuses at the table.  

Zac has the people skills to be a good HC.  He just needs to get out of his own way when it comes to playcalling and putting himself in the weeds too deeply in any one area of the team.  
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 02:19 PM)G man Wrote: I’m not 100% sure I agree with this. The one thing we know is Joe Burrow wants to win. He’s a professional so I don’t think he will ever completely speak out against coaches or team mates. But you could tell how frustrated he was with play calling last week.

I’m pretty sure he would prefer joe Brady in there

I judge a head coach's enthusiasm by his team by effort. Players play their ass off for coaches they respect and like. The one thing we have seen is ZT's teams play with effort.

I saw a killa type of effort tackling and blocking yesterday. When was the last time both lines dominated the LOS against the Steeler's? Before you excuse with their injuries, keep in mind our injuries a year ago when we played them. Injuries go both ways

I loved our effort, I love the DL manhandling their OL in the run game and pressuring Ben all day.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I didn't notice Hilton was in at RB on our victory formation. Pretty cool of Zac.

Really like the Mike Hilton addition. Good damn player and he is a fun dude to boot. Like his personality.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 03:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I didn't notice Hilton was in at RB on our victory formation. Pretty cool of Zac.

Really like the Mike Hilton addition. Good damn player and he is a fun dude to boot. Like his personality.

I had more than one Steeler fan tell me they were not happy when the Bengals signed Hilton.  They knew what kind of player he was.

Hopefully we don't make that mistake with Bates.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 12:22 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Like I've said, there's enough to show that ZT could become a good HC. The problem is his insistence on being a playcaller. He clearly is not an effective playcaller and the sooner he realizes that and "fires" himself as OC, the sooner he can try to reach his potential as a HC. It might be too little too late ... if this was any other team but the Bengals.

Kind of reminds me of Dabo Swinney. But he needs solid coordinators to actually coach offense and defense while he takes on the overarching role.
Reply/Quote

I mentioned something similar to this in my thread about coaching props....that somehow got stickied. Shocked

Anywho....I feel like he might need to give up the playcalling and just focus on standard HC duties, and doing things like this for his guys.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 01:33 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I think ZT is a decent enough head coach...its his play calling, offensive schemes, and some of his game management that I have a problem with.

As far as him "having" the locker room and how his players respond to him...I think he does a good job from what I can see. 

I think Burrow actually is helping him with play calling. LOL

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 03:13 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I judge a head coach's enthusiasm by his team by effort. Players play their ass off for coaches they respect and like. The one thing we have seen is ZT's teams play with effort.

I saw a killa type of effort tackling and blocking yesterday. When was the last time both lines dominated the LOS against the Steeler's? Before you excuse with their injuries, keep in mind our injuries a year ago when we played them. Injuries go both ways

I loved our effort, I love the DL manhandling their OL in the run game and pressuring Ben all day.

Right....I mean Cam Hayward and Melvin Ingram ain't exactly schlubs.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

Say what you want about ZT, but he knows how to get his players on his side. Honestly, that may be the most dangerous part about him haha. How do you fire a coach that the players all love?

Bengals should take note of Hilton and his feelings toward the Steelers and be aware they are doing the same thing to Jessie Bates. Should have been extended already, and he is playing even better this year so his value just keeps going up.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 09:37 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Bengals should take note of Hilton and his feelings toward the Steelers and be aware they are doing the same thing to Jessie Bates. Should have been extended already, and he is playing even better this year so his value just keeps going up.

1. He's actually not playing better.
2. His value is a mystery.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Zac definitely has the support of the important players in the locker room.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 09:37 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Bengals should take note of Hilton and his feelings toward the Steelers and be aware they are doing the same thing to Jessie Bates. Should have been extended already, and he is playing even better this year so his value just keeps going up.

The Bengals are NOT doing the same thing to Bates. He is playing out his contract. They can tag him for 2 more years if need be, but they will get a new contract done with him. He's going to have to show this season he is worth the money he is asking for as the top safety in the league. Football players often bet on themselves. It's not a unique situation.
Reply/Quote