Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zac Taylor's Offense
Correct me if I'm wrong but this is Zac's first time getting a second season as a playcaller, right? I do remember us having a tough time scoring more than 23 points last season, but I thought it'd be interesting to see how our offense looked as a whole from start to finish last year (remembering Finley started at QB 3 games). Gives us some numbers to compare with as this season progresses to see how much better our offense does this year.

Week 1 @ SEA 20 points scored 429 total yards 395 pass yards 34 rush yards 3 TO
Week 2 vs SF 17 points scored 316 total yards 291 pass yards 25 rush yards 1 TO
Week 3 @ BUF 17 points scored 306 total yards 240 pass yards 66 rush yards 4 TO
Week 4 @ PIT 3 points scored 175 total yards 102 pass yards 73 rush yards 2 TO
Week 5 vs ARI 23 points scored 370 total yards 262 pass yards 108 rush yards 0 TO
Week 6 @ BAL 17 points scored 250 total yards 217 pass yards 33 rush yards 1 TO
Week 7 vs JAX 17 points scored 291 total yards 258 pass yards 33 rush yards 4 TO
Week 8 @ LAR 10 points scored 401 total yards 297 pass yards 104 rush yards 0 TO
Week 9 vs BYE 0 points scored 0 total yards 0 pass yards 0 rush yards 0 TO
Week 10 vs BAL 13 points scored 307 total yards 150 pass yards 157 rush yards 3 TO
Week 11 @ OAK 10 points scored 246 total yards 73 pass yards 173 rush yards 2 TO
Week 12 vs PIT 10 points scored 244 total yards 158 pass yards 86 rush yards 2 TO
Week 13 vs NYJ 22 points scored 277 total yards 233 pass yards 44 rush yards 0 TO
Week 14 @ CLE 19 points scored 451 total yards 272 pass yards 179 rush yards 1 TO
Week 15 vs NE 13 points scored 315 total yards 151 pass yards 164 rush yards 5 TO
Week 16 @ MIA 35 points scored 430 total yards 371 pass yards 59 rush yards 1 TO
Week 17 vs CLE 33 points scored 361 total yards 182 pass yards 179 rush yards 1 TO

Aside from the rushing game improvement starting in Week 8 which we already all knew about, anything else stand out to you?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Broke 30 points the last 2 games.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
5 games of 3 Turnovers or more.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
I am looking at several games (Seattle, LA Rams, 1st Cleveland game) where they had over 400 yards off offense, but never scored more than 20 points (20, 10, and 19 respectively).

That screams of red zone inefficiency. We had Eifert available for a lot of it, but he wasn't the same player he was in the past. The Bengals were also ridiculously dependent on the passing attack early, and once the offense was more balanced (and Dalton returned) they averaged 24.4 points per game. That included a game with 5 turnovers.

24.4 points per game won't win 11 games with the defense we had, but it could be competitive with their year's squad?

I think Joe Mixon is going to come out on fire against the Chargers. His success this first game will be huge for Burrow.
Reply/Quote
ZTs play calling and lack of consistancy is tied into garbage QBs revolving LTs and injuries at WR.
If you are starting Dalton and Finely your offense is already in a hole.
No great offensive mind can overcome that
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 03:00 PM)impactplaya Wrote: ZTs play calling and lack of consistancy is tied into garbage QBs revolving LTs and injuries at WR.

[Image: jay-gruden*750.jpg][Image: ij2h9yohxkysmkzvxtum.jpg]

Or you just simply need an offensive mind better than Zampese/Lazor/Taylor. Taylor is 0/3 on running an offense, and 2 of those 3 had nothing to do with Dalton.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Patchwork offensive line and beat up receiving corps were major contributors to the struggling offense.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 03:00 PM)impactplaya Wrote: ZTs play calling and lack of consistancy is tied into garbage QBs revolving LTs and injuries at WR.

It's sort odd then that Gruden and Jackson seemed to get so much more out of the offense, even with that garbage at QB. Hell Jackson even had the team 30 seconds from beating pissburgh with a backup QB.

Or was it that Taylor just isn't as good at it as those two?

Taylor is a two win coach and he'll be a losing coach until the team sports a winning record.

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 08:47 PM)BengalChris Wrote: It's sort odd then that Gruden and Jackson seemed to get so much more out of the offense, even with that garbage at QB. Hell Jackson even had the team 30 seconds from beating pissburgh with a backup QB.

Or was it that Taylor just isn't as good at it as those two?

Taylor is a two win coach and he'll be a losing coach until the team sports a winning record.

Was Dalton garbage?  I seem to recall Hue shedding himself of Dalton and then going 3-36-1 without him in Cleveland.
Reply/Quote
I view the Bengals in the Dalton era ala the NBA treadmill team. Good enough to get you anywhere from 8-10 wins but can't sniff the Super Bowl unless everything breaks your way. (Which as we all know it did not)

I'm hoping Burrow a "True Franchise QB" can get us over that hump. Along with a ownership taking interest in free agency + new draft approach
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 04:04 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: [Image: jay-gruden*750.jpg][Image: ij2h9yohxkysmkzvxtum.jpg]

Or you just simply need an offensive mind better than Zampese/Lazor/Taylor. Taylor is 0/3 on running an offense, and 2 of those 3 had nothing to do with Dalton.

This...

People conveniently ignore that Mike Tomlin went 8-8 with garbage QBs. I mean Lord have mercy, they put Benny Snell under center against us on Monday night, and it worked... Our former QB has had success in the league before. The guy coaching him had not, and it's somehow Dalton's fault that Zac Taylor was hot garbage last year.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Maybe some of you will realize that Dalton peaked years ago and its curious your showing OCs when Dalton was a better QB.
PFF has already shown Dalton was among the leagues worst
With a clean pocket last year and among the leagues worst
On downfield throws past 20 yds
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 10:58 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Maybe some of you will realize that Dalton peaked years ago and its curious your showing OCs when Dalton was a better QB.
PFF has already shown Dalton was among the leagues worst
With a clean pocket last year and among the leagues worst
On downfield throws past 20 yds

You gonna say the same when Burrow doesn't go undefeated and break all kinds of records this year?

Other guys that were around years ago that pff says didn't play as well as back then... All of 'em.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Hue and Jay had AJ and Whit...

Not trying to make excuses for Taylor (his offense sucked) but those 2 make a HUGE difference.

Reply/Quote
All evidence points to the offense adapting to Burrow. Hoping as the season progresses, ZT loosens the reigns. and allows Burrow to be Burrow.

Reply/Quote
Just have to hope Taylor learns and adapts to Burrow's style of play. Dalton was terribly inconsistent last year, and
inaccurate. I think we can all agree on this and the O-line sucked which didn't help at all. Hopefully all this comes
together and we can actually stay healthy. This sure would help out Taylor and the Playcalling.

Doesn't matter what you call when all your best players are injured. But that 4th and 1 Shotgun handoff call sure
gave me pause on Taylor's playcalling. But I still remember when Taylor said that he would give Dalton a hand full
of plays to pick from and Dalton would pick one. So it might of been more on Dalton than we think.

Sure hope so.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 04:04 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: [Image: jay-gruden*750.jpg][Image: ij2h9yohxkysmkzvxtum.jpg]

I can't even post the joke that immediately came to mind with these two pictures. Let me just say, sometimes I just wish my freaken mind wouldn't go to them places. 

Reply/Quote
Mark those three games Ryan Finley started with an asterisk!
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 10:28 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Was Dalton garbage?  I seem to recall Hue shedding himself of Dalton and then going 3-36-1 without him in Cleveland.

Do realize that I was making fun of the previous poster's comments about Dalton.

Reply/Quote