Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Zac Taylor to take a step back
and allow Dan Pitcher full ownership in determining direction of the offense.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/zac-taylor-says-he-ll-take-a-step-back-and-allow-dan-pitcher-to-take-ownership-in-the-direction-of-the-offense/ar-BB1mVFS4?ocid=BingNewsSerp

Quote:Dan Pitcher, the Cincinnati Bengals new offensive coordinator/old QB coach, was a hot commodity the past couple of offseasons, interviewing for multiple OC jobs.

And that’s for good reason.

“Dan knows what the heck he’s doing,” said receiver Trenton Irwin.

Head coach Zac Taylor agrees. That’s why he’s decided to hand over more of the offense to his offensive coordinator this year.

“I’ll take a step back this spring,” Taylor said, “And let [Pitcher] take ownership in the direction of the offense.”

As Cincinnati.com’s Charlie Goldsmith writes, tight end Drew Sample said it was “awesome” that Pitcher is taking more of a leadership role and that the offensive coordinator has “added new wrinkles.”
So what specifically does that mean? Here’s what Goldsmith has observed so far in camp:

The Bengals’ playbook has changed more this offseason than it has in any offseason since Burrow’s rookie year. In 2024, the Bengals are interested in lining up more under center, using the play action passing game more, and marrying their run game, their screens and their drop back passing game more than they have over the last few years.

That’s good news for a team that has seen its star quarterback, Joe Burrow, take more than his share of hits
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2024, 03:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: and allow Dan Pitcher full ownership in determining direction of the offense.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/zac-taylor-says-he-ll-take-a-step-back-and-allow-dan-pitcher-to-take-ownership-in-the-direction-of-the-offense/ar-BB1mVFS4?ocid=BingNewsSerp

I'll believe it when I see it......more under center that is.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2024, 04:04 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: I'll believe it when I see it......more under center that is.

The Bengals have ran plenty of under center looks since Zac Taylor has been here. The offense has been flexible, largely due to either injury (2023) or run game ineffectiveness (2022). In 2021, Cincinnati was only in shotgun 64% of the time, below league average. In 2022, they started off with a significant amount of under center snaps but changed the run game in week five due to the running game being awful. Then, last year, Burrow's injury really limited them and you saw a healthy amount of under center when Browning was playing. 
Reply/Quote
I feel like that "new direction" has always been the preferred direction.

Good to see Zac taking a step back and allowing the OC to put his stamp on the offense.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Amazed Zac is open to this. He had a pretty bright OC and Zac did not step back for him.

I'll be interested to see if this results in significant developments in the offense.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2024, 04:13 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: The Bengals have ran plenty of under center looks since Zac Taylor has been here. The offense has been flexible, largely due to either injury (2023) or run game ineffectiveness (2022). In 2021, Cincinnati was only in shotgun 64% of the time, below league average. In 2022, they started off with a significant amount of under center snaps but changed the run game in week five due to the running game being awful. Then, last year, Burrow's injury really limited them and you saw a healthy amount of under center when Browning was playing. 

Let's just hope that Pitcher has a better feel for timing of play calls and allowing the offense to get into a rhythm. (I questioned the timing of some of the play calls previously, as in 'that would be a great play to call, but not on 3rd and 4..')

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Took longer than I hoped, but good to hear nonetheless. I am looking forward to see what a proper singular mind can craft for this offense when it's not done by eight guys in a committee in real time that then sends it to the one guy who is supposed to be in charge of the whole team who then sends it to Burrow. I think less voices in Burrow's helmet and less steps between deciding a playcall and getting it to Burrow, the better. Also allows more accountability which is good for both praise and blame.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
It's about time.. probably Burrow's request.
Reply/Quote
I didn't really take this that Zac was giving up play calling, just that he was letting Pitch design the offense.
Reply/Quote
I like the move and respect that Zac is empowering and trusting Pitcher to take the offensive reigns.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2024, 05:28 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Took longer than I hoped, but good to hear nonetheless. I am looking forward to see what a proper singular mind can craft for this offense when it's not done by eight guys in a committee in real time that then sends it to the one guy who is supposed to be in charge of the whole team who then sends it to Burrow. I think less voices in Burrow's helmet and less steps between deciding a playcall and getting it to Burrow, the better. Also allows more accountability which is good for both praise and blame.

That's not how they did it. There were several people involved in being prepared for a certain situation, but there weren't a lot of voices, or chaos from play to play.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2024, 05:50 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That's not how they did it. There were several people involved in being prepared for a certain situation, but there weren't a lot of voices, or chaos from play to play.

Tell that to all of their delay of game penalties (2nd most in the NFL last year) and timeouts taken to avoid delay of game penalties last year. Something in the process of deciding a playcall to getting it to Burrow/Browning took way too long. We called timeout 3 timeouts alone on our offensive opening drives last year. If you aren't prepared on the opening drive of a game, when will you ever be prepared?

EDIT: Now we can actually have accountability because it isn't just a big 'ol committee of nobody-is-to-blame. We can look at one guy and ask what went wrong, and if it doesn't get fixed, we know who we need to replace to fix it. Same thing we have with our players. We see a Cedric Ogbuehi, we can identify who needs replaced. Now we see a delayed run out of the shotgun on 4th and 1 and we know who to blame.

Now we need the same with our FO. Duke is the guy, except when he isn't (Carman, Ross). Blackburns are running things until they aren't (Whitworth and Mike). Having a clearly defined and followed chain of command clears up a lot of confusion and issues, and allows for accountability. Good things.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2024, 06:02 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Tell that to all of their delay of game penalties (2nd most in the NFL last year) and timeouts taken to avoid delay of game penalties last year. Something in the process of deciding a playcall to getting it to Burrow/Browning took way too long. We called timeout 3 timeouts alone on our offensive opening drives last year. If you aren't prepared on the opening drive of a game, when will you ever be prepared?

Opening drives are scripted. I don't know what the problem was but it wasn't too many voices. We've discussed that aspect here before, based on how Zac said it was handled. Certain guys had to have plays ready for certain situations, 3rd and long, goal to go, etc, and they would give Zac a an option. He would then decide between what he was going to call and their suggestion. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
"In 2024, the Bengals are interested in lining up more under center, using the play action passing game more, and marrying their run game, their screens and their drop back passing game more than they have over the last few years.

That’s good news for a team that has seen its star quarterback, Joe Burrow, take more than his share of hits."

Music to my ears
Reply/Quote
I just hope Zac has given Dan the authority to fire his Oline coach, because Zac can't seem to figure out how to do it.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-23-2024, 05:50 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That's not how they did it. There were several people involved in being prepared for a certain situation, but there weren't a lot of voices, or chaos from play to play.

I laugh when I read that crap from people who are clueless how they did it. They don’t keep up. Zac hates a bunch talking on the headset. Burrow said it. About 4 of them had certain situational downs or short yardage, goaline, third down etc. They were to be ready with a play if Zac asked them. Too funny.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(05-23-2024, 06:05 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Opening drives are scripted. I don't know what the problem was but it wasn't too many voices. We've discussed that aspect here before, based on how Zac said it was handled. Certain guys had to have plays ready for certain situations, 3rd and long, goal to go, etc, and they would give Zac a an option. He would then decide between what he was going to call and their suggestion. 

Pretty much but they weren’t suppose to say a word unless he asked.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(05-23-2024, 05:44 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I didn't really take this that Zac was giving up play calling, just that he was letting Pitch design the offense.

My concern as well. Didn't read anything about play calling. 

Reply/Quote
(05-23-2024, 06:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I just hope Zac has given Dan the authority to fire his Oline coach, because Zac can't seem to figure out how to do it.

Good Lord. This is the truth. WTF does it take to get rid of the nail in the tire? 

Reply/Quote
(05-23-2024, 07:44 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: My concern as well. Didn't read anything about play calling. 

If Dan has been given a large role in the direction of the offense he will he have a larger role in the play calling I’d bet.

Reply/Quote