Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burrows stats are actually crazy
(10-03-2020, 01:26 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I just want to know how the draft is going to work when the season in inevitably shutdown.

You know the league wants Lawrence in a big market like NY. If it’s done by a lottery I guarantee we aren’t getting the top pick.

They will do it like any year. Record, Strength of schedule, and points scored as a tie breaker. Bengals will be picking in the back half of the top 10 right now.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2020, 01:31 PM)Synric Wrote: They will do it like any year. Record, Strength of schedule, and points scored as a tie breaker. Bengals will be picking in the back half of the top 10 right now.

That would be ridiculous. You can’t consider 3 weeks a season.

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2020, 01:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That would be ridiculous. You can’t consider 3 weeks a season.

That's how they would do it but I don't think they are worried about cancelling the season yet. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2020, 09:12 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Amazing how the local board QB experts aren't blaming the QB for this stat when for years it was constantly blamed on the QB. I thought for sure when the Bengals upgraded the QB position things would all change but this just looks like more of the same. It's almost as if QB wasn't the problem holding this team back.

Oh yeah I forgot that burrow played like shit in primetime and during the playoff

This team has had good online and defences in the past and Dalton clearly under preformed under the spotlight.

Burrow has straight balled out every game as a bengal and kept every game close despite terrible play around him.

Yes mediocre QB play has without a dought held this team back in the past and great QB play has kept us in every game this season.

I was a dalton defender for a long time.  Too long.  But I now firmly believe if burrow play on those playoff quality teams we would have had a legitimate shot at a superbowl not just a wild card win.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2020, 01:27 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I didn't get to see his question.

***butthurt rfaulk?***

please. Just asking for some consistency from the guys that appeared to comment as if everything was Dalton's fault when it clearly wasn't.

I wanted to trade down a couple of times, grab some O-line (for Mixon, not Dalton) while also building up draft capital for 2021. We potentially have an all-time QB . . . with no one to protect him including our supposed stud LT. Everyone on this board is praying that he can survive the next season or two before they finally have a team worth a crap. I've stated before that #1 QBs going to a shit team don't do very well. If you think I wanted to pass on Burrow with the above trade proposal as some form of loyalty to Dalton instead of improving a team to THEN hand off to a young QB . . . then I don't know what to say. Remember, the Chiefs made the playoffs with a stiff like Alex Smith and then Patrick Mahomes walked onto a playoff team after sitting for a year, learning what to do and what not to do. That's more of the model of what I was looking for.

But hey, we have a good QB to root for . . . now if he can only stay healthy for a couple of seasons before they have a team around him. Maybe he won't get Luck'd or Palmer'd before the team gets good.

I get it and i was probably lumping you somewhere where it wasn't fair. It's just hard not to cringe when there's a comparison of a guy with 9 years experience against a guy with 3 games experience. QBs can never overcome all obstacles themselves. Even the best needed help. But having a guy that can elevate you and having to tweak things around him is better, in my opinion, than having pieces in place but not having the guy behind center that can get you there. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2020, 02:29 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I get it and i was probably lumping you somewhere where it wasn't fair. It's just hard not to cringe when there's a comparison of a guy with 9 years experience against a guy with 3 games experience. QBs can never overcome all obstacles themselves. Even the best needed help. But having a guy that can elevate you and having to tweak things around him is better, in my opinion, than having pieces in place but not having the guy behind center that can get you there. 

Well, Dalton was praised as a rookie for his poise . . . I remember watching a pre-game "re-draft" after the 12th game or 3/4 point of the 2011 season . . . Cam Newton still went #1 and Dalton went #2 because he didn't look like a rookie. But apparently, people don't want to remember that when the entire team looked star struck and overmatched in a playoff game.

Now, the same people suddenly look at the roster and see problems and I laugh.

The QB play improved and they are 0-2-1. Like I said . . . QB wasn't the main problem and now it is the main problem for two different reasons. Those reasons are 1) hoping he stays healthy and 2) doesn't become gun shy just like almost every other young QB does when they play behind a shit line.

But, now we have a good QB to root for and unfortunately not much else.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
I've been very impressed with Burrow. He's a future star.

In fact, one youtuber I followed already has him ranked as the 6th best QB in the NFL haha.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2020, 04:27 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Well, Dalton was praised as a rookie for his poise . . . I remember watching a pre-game "re-draft" after the 12th game or 3/4 point of the 2011 season . . . Cam Newton still went #1 and Dalton went #2 because he didn't look like a rookie. But apparently, people don't want to remember that when the entire team looked star struck and overmatched in a playoff game.

The QB play improved and they are 0-2-1. Like I said . . . QB wasn't the main problem and now it is the main problem for two different reasons. Those reasons are 1) hoping he stays healthy and 2) doesn't become gun shy just like almost every other young QB does when they play behind a shit line.

I've commented on these boards that the Bengals were lucky to get Dalton and not any of those other guys that were drafted in the first round that year. I've also spent countless hours and posts defending him to any number of people that wanted to complain about him, up until around '16-'17. 

He came to the team at a time they were much stronger than they have been the last couple years. Specifically the defense but he did play well a lot of the time with those teams from '11-'15. He and a lot of other areas of the team failed in the post season. 

As this team started to fade and become less competitive, Dalton faded with them. He didn't do much of anything to "carry them" with his own talent. 

Dalton was a game manager. His play usually flowed with how the team was playing/how healthy they were. He had many many many chances to step up and lead this team to playoff wins and he wasn't able to do it. I'd say he was on this team probably 3 years too long. Same as Marv.

Burrow has the type of ability and talent to play well when the team around him isn't as good. Give him the talent and he has the ability to do more than Dalton did with an average to good team. 

Very few people believe that the one and only thing this team needed to do was get a new QB and all would be well. I can only speak for myself when i say that a new QB, a better QB would give them a chance to have better results, simply by his own decision making. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2020, 11:36 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I disagree with this statement.  They are actually better at run blocking than pass blocking.  I think with Redmond the rushing attack could at least have a solid day Sunday.  They have CHOSEN to throw it so many times and abandon the run so quickly every time.  

I agree that we abandon it too soon when it is working, but the YPC for our running backs per game are 3.8, 2.8, 2.9.  The average for the season is 3.2 YPC.  I don't think that shows being better in that department.  Now I do agree that is should be better with Redmond in the lineup, but unfortunately we will have to roll the dice on when he gets the foul that kills a drive that either squanders a scoring chance or flips field position in the opponents favor.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2020, 04:29 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I've been very impressed with Burrow. He's a future star.

In fact, one youtuber I followed already has him ranked as the 6th best QB in the NFL haha.

I'm not sure about 6th ranked but I also believe he'll be star. Every time I see film of him, I'm reminded of Ron Jaworski being in awe when breaking down film on Greg Cook. Always keeping his eyes down field is one of the comparisons that stands out the most.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2020, 01:26 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I just want to know how the draft is going to work when the season in inevitably shutdown.

You know the league wants Lawrence in a big market like NY. If it’s done by a lottery I guarantee we aren’t getting the top pick.

Not sure why you think the season will be shutdown, the NFL went longer than MLB before issues arised.. MLB made it through with much worse situation than NFL is in right now.. 
Reply/Quote
As a bengal fan, i'm more interested in finding ways to keep Burrow happy so he doesnt demand a trade....
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2020, 10:00 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Not sure why you think the season will be shutdown, the NFL went longer than MLB before issues arised.. MLB made it through with much worse situation than NFL is in right now.. 

Maybe because players on like 4-5 different teams just tested positive? I will be shocked if they play the entire season.

Reply/Quote
https://www.nfl.com/news/reality-setting-in-around-the-nfl-after-positive-covid-19-tests-disrupt-2020-sea

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2020, 05:11 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I've commented on these boards that the Bengals were lucky to get Dalton and not any of those other guys that were drafted in the first round that year. I've also spent countless hours and posts defending him to any number of people that wanted to complain about him, up until around '16-'17. 

He came to the team at a time they were much stronger than they have been the last couple years. Specifically the defense but he did play well a lot of the time with those teams from '11-'15. He and a lot of other areas of the team failed in the post season. 

As this team started to fade and become less competitive, Dalton faded with them. He didn't do much of anything to "carry them" with his own talent. 

Dalton was a game manager. His play usually flowed with how the team was playing/how healthy they were. He had many many many chances to step up and lead this team to playoff wins and he wasn't able to do it. I'd say he was on this team probably 3 years too long. Same as Marv.

Burrow has the type of ability and talent to play well when the team around him isn't as good. Give him the talent and he has the ability to do more than Dalton did with an average to good team. 

Very few people believe that the one and only thing this team needed to do was get a new QB and all would be well. I can only speak for myself when i say that a new QB, a better QB would give them a chance to have better results, simply by his own decision making. 

Good post. I take back most of the shit that I've said about you.  Ninja

Just kidding. We've had QB discussions before . . . we were both forced into playing QB when we were young because we both threw harder than everybody else. All that Dalton has really proved is that he was better than his backups, who the best was probably AJ McCarron. It's not like Cincy is like Green Bay in the 90s who kicked out 4 or 5 backups that turned into NFL starters for other teams. Hell, technically, even Aaron Rodgers was a backup for three seasons.

We all want our team to win, and rooting for them to win each Sunday is always #1 in the fandom ranking section. It's just that it has now semi-fallen back to #1A and #1B is hoping Burrow survives each week. I never had that with Dalton. Too many horror stories of young QBs behind crap o-lines. I will always question the drafting of David Klingler and I will question his QB play, but I will never call that man a wimp. He limped back onto the field twice before Pepper Johnson took him and Donald Hollis out three plays apart from each other and brought us into the Jeff Blake era. 

LT - I'm not sold on Williams in the slightest. Anthony Munoz, he is not.
LG - Jordan is still not a legit starter in the NFL. He's young and still a bit raw but he's not there yet.
C - Hopkins is ok. Probably the best o-lineman on the Bengals right now and he is nothing special outside of the underdog/feel good story.
RG - Redmond is an upgrade is all I can say. The X-guy didn't wow me in his limited time in there.
LT - Bobby Hart. I'm kind of between Fred and the board. He didn't stand out(in a bad way) as much last year as he did in '18 and this year but he's still pretty damn weak on his good days.
TE - When pass blocking, Sample looks overmatched and his run blocking is poor.

That's IF everybody is healthy.

Tomorrow, it's 1A and 1B
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2020, 04:27 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Well, Dalton was praised as a rookie for his poise . . . I remember watching a pre-game "re-draft" after the 12th game or 3/4 point of the 2011 season . . . Cam Newton still went #1 and Dalton went #2 because he didn't look like a rookie. But apparently, people don't want to remember that when the entire team looked star struck and overmatched in a playoff game.

I would take the rookie Dalton over last years Dalton anyday. Last year he just stared at the pass rushers.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2020, 10:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Maybe because players on like 4-5 different teams just tested positive? I will be shocked if they play the entire season.

They are supposed to be isolated and bringing in back ups if the teams can not keep their players in check they should forfeit.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2020, 07:06 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I agree that we abandon it too soon when it is working, but the YPC for our running backs per game are 3.8, 2.8, 2.9.  The average for the season is 3.2 YPC.  I don't think that shows being better in that department.  Now I do agree that is should be better with Redmond in the lineup, but unfortunately we will have to roll the dice on when he gets the foul that kills a drive that either squanders a scoring chance or flips field position in the opponents favor.

We help reduce our liability of the offensive line by letting them fire off instead of retreat.  Even with around 3 ypc, they are facing very manageable 3rd and 4 instead of Burrow-killing 3rd and 10 or worse.  They are having success throwing the ball, but I think they would have more success throwing if there was more balance.  A 5 YPA number in the passing game is dead last in the league.  

You could be right about Redmond, but I am hoping he finally realizes this is his last shot and he makes a significant contribution.  We keep saying it:  He only needs to be average, and not horrible.  
Reply/Quote

I don't see this season being shut down after 5 games, ***but*** if it were, I could see the NFL doing something like:

* using the last 16 games, ie. the 5 games from 2020 and the last 11 games of 2019
* and maybe chunking and randomizing the result, ie take the 4 worst teams and randomize their order, and then take the next 4 worst teams and randomize their order, etc.

So net-net the 4th worst team based on this approach could end up with first overall pick. To increase excitement, they might do bigger chunks.

The NFL could even make it an annoying Thursday evening primetime event. 
Reply/Quote