Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things we need to.see Sunday that we havent seen so far
(10-01-2020, 12:30 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: How about run defense that holds the opposing team under 100 yards rushing? Sideline to sideline Linebacker play. Players getting off their blocks to get to the ball carrier. Players not being out of position (especially floating into areas where we already have several players, Josh Bynes). Players making and finishing tackles.

Do his #3 and this becomes a lot easier.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2020, 12:25 PM)impactplaya Wrote: 1. Opening drive TD

2. Burrow upright the whole game.

3. Make Jville play from behind whole game

4. Defense causing and recovering fumbles

5. No points given up before half time

6. Mixon 25 plus carries 100 yds.

While I am with you 100% on how much these should be standards and, hopefully, we start to see things like this on a regular basis, I am really looking for all players to play with greater energy from the first snap until the end of the game.  I am so tired of an offensive line looking "flat", receivers half-assing routes, defensive linemen just going through the motions, etc.  

Play with some frigging passion and make some plays.  In other words, punch instead of being the punching bag all the time.  
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2020, 12:32 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I would settle for:

Right side of the OL playing at only a slightly below-average level.

Defense not giving up stupid plays/points at the end of the half/game.

Sadly, this is the standard most of us have come to wish for...and not attain.  
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2020, 07:15 PM)McC Wrote: Are the Jags struggling to stop the run?  If so, that means we will try like hell to run on them and be completely unable.  And everybody knows they haven't been able to get a pass rush and that means Burrow will be under pressure the whole game.

I was debating trying to see Burrow's first win but the weather looks like a good chance of rain.  50% right now.  I could care less, but my dad wouldn't enjoy that much, and I could see the passing game being effected by that and both teams focusing on the run.  
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2020, 10:23 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: While I am with you 100% on how much these should be standards and, hopefully, we start to see things like this on a regular basis, I am really looking for all players to play with greater energy from the first snap until the end of the game.  I am so tired of an offensive line looking "flat", receivers half-assing routes, defensive linemen just going through the motions, etc.  

Play with some frigging passion and make some plays.  In other words, punch instead of being the punching bag all the time.  

Do you believe in the theroy teams take on the coaches personality? I do in some cases.
Look at the Bengals history.
Paul Brown Homer Rice Forrest Gregg Sam Wyche. 
Those teams were extensions of those coaches personality 
And it showed on the field 
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2020, 12:34 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Do you believe in the theroy teams take on the coaches personality? I do in some cases.

At one time, I absolutely did believe that....

Today's athletes are just different.  I won't pretend to understand them, but there are numerous examples of coaches that have little to no emotion or reputation as strict disciplinarians that have very strong, passionate teams.

I look more at the team.  I think Burrow is winning over guys on offense.  Tyler Boyd looks like he wants to fight people to protect Burrow.  It may take time, but I haven't seen the line have that kind of passion at all.

The defense, however, needs a Ray Lewis.  Someone who knows the defensive responsibilities of every player, and holds them to it.  I guy that works tirelessly in the gym and the film room.  I have high hopes that a guy like Logan Wilson or ADG becomes that type of player, but we really don't have time to wait for it to develop.  I am looking at Vonn Bell.  I am hoping he starts becoming more vocal and starts getting some opportunities to rush the passer.
Reply/Quote
we won't see mixon 100 yard rush all year. i would prefer to see gio double his touches per game and see what happens.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2020, 12:48 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: At one time, I absolutely did believe that....

Today's athletes are just different.  I won't pretend to understand them, but there are numerous examples of coaches that have little to no emotion or reputation as strict disciplinarians that have very strong, passionate teams.

I look more at the team.  I think Burrow is winning over guys on offense.  Tyler Boyd looks like he wants to fight people to protect Burrow.  It may take time, but I haven't seen the line have that kind of passion at all.

The defense, however, needs a Ray Lewis.  Someone who knows the defensive responsibilities of every player, and holds them to it.  I guy that works tirelessly in the gym and the film room.  I have high hopes that a guy like Logan Wilson or ADG becomes that type of player, but we really don't have time to wait for it to develop.  I am looking at Vonn Bell.  I am hoping he starts becoming more vocal and starts getting some opportunities to rush the passer.

We need a guy on defense that loves to cut players in half.
A guy that a offense that has to have his head on a swivel to look out for. 
A defensive game changer. Someone whos play is infectious.
A player half Thurman and half Burfuct. 
I recall years ago Chris Ogybonga ( sp) of the Browns took a flare pass at about the 26 yd and Vontaze just cut him in 2.
Picked.the ball up and ran it back. It fired.up the whole defense.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2020, 01:23 PM)impactplaya Wrote: We need a guy on defense that loves to cut players in half.
A guy that a offense that has to have his head on a swivel to look out for. 
A defensive game changer. Someone whos play is infectious.
A player half Thurman and half Burfuct. 
I recall years ago Chris Ogybonga ( sp) of the Browns took a flare pass at about the 26 yd and Vontaze just cut him in 2.
Picked.the ball up and ran it back. It fired.up the whole defense.

Burfict in his prime was the most amazing LB I have ever seen.  He ran like a safety, even though he looked "soft" in terms of his unchizled frame.  He was the most instinctive I have ever seen.  The problem was even though it was like God made his body for football, he just couldn't stop being immature and stupid.  I don't mean the so-called "dirty hits" on Piggy or Le'Veon, because those weren't dirty, but the nut-taps, ankle twists, and stupid things.  
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2020, 12:34 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Do you believe in the theroy teams take on the coaches personality? I do in some cases.

Yep. And i don't see Taylor as a Joe Burrow type of coach. Taylor is a perfect Andy Dalton-type coach. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I just want to see more judicious use of time outs by Zac Taylor.  Winning the game is out of the question.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2020, 09:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Hakeem Adeniji

Geno Atkins

Looks like I'm 0 for 2
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Oh yeah maybe Drew Sample can actually make a contribution.
Hes shaping.up.to be one of the worst 2nd RD picks
In recent memory for the Bengals
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2020, 09:16 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Oh yeah maybe Drew Sample can actually make a contribution.
Hes shaping.up.to be one of the worst 2nd RD picks
In recent memory for the Bengals

At least Jake Fisher had a medical excuse...

The 2nd has typically been our best round in recent years honestly. Dunlap, Dalton, Gio, Boyd, Mixon, Bates...

I’m not sure Sample ever lives up to being taken that high. He might develop into a solid player, but that’s a pretty low bar for the 2nd round.

Reply/Quote