Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zac and the Senior Bowl...
Listening to Taylor talk about the picks, the Senior Bowl was a major influence in getting guys like Cameron Sample,
D'Ante Smith and Chris Evans. With Cam and D'Ante they were asking the OL and DL players who were giving them
the most trouble and these guy's names came up consistently. D'Ante can play Guard as well.

Sounds like if we didn't see Evans at the Senior Bowl we wouldn't of picked him but he was just lighting up LB's over
and over. Great pass catcher that can pick up the blitz who is very explosive. Have to take it with a grain of salt what
happened with him at Michigan. Harbaugh is a weird dude how he runs that team.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 03:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Listening to Taylor talk about the picks, the Senior Bowl was a major influence in getting guys like Cameron Sample,
D'Ante Smith and Chris Evans. With Cam and D'Ante they were asking the OL and DL players who were giving them
the most trouble and these guy's names came up consistently. D'Ante can play Guard as well.

Sounds like if we didn't see Evans at the Senior Bowl we wouldn't of picked him but he was just lighting up LB's over
and over. Great pass catcher that can pick up the blitz who is very explosive. Have to take it with a grain of salt what

I mentioned Evans in another thread as giving us a great weapon and an explosive option that teams will have to spend extra time preparing for when he's in the game.

D'Ante Smith also excites me because he provides instant depth and I think he will develop into a quality starter for us at tackle and he has the potential to become an All-Pro.
Reply/Quote
I'm pretty enthused about the D'Ante Smith selection. He's got the length and footwork that is so vital in today's NFL OL. I just hope that they aren't forced to shove him out there, before he has adequate time to grow into an NFL body.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 03:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Listening to Taylor talk about the picks, the Senior Bowl was a major influence in getting guys like Cameron Sample,

Shame they didn't go after Alaric Jackson in the 7th round given they got to see him at Senior Bowl, where he played some RT and also Guard.
His original arm length measurements were wrong too, as he actually has 33.75" arms, which is plenty to stay outside.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 04:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Shame they didn't go after Alaric Jackson in the 7th round given they got to see him at Senior Bowl, where he played some RT and also Guard.
His original arm length measurements were wrong too, as he actually has 33.75" arms, which is plenty to stay outside.

If I'm taking a guy in the later rounds, I'm taking an Iowa guy.  
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 04:02 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I mentioned Evans in another thread as giving us a great weapon and an explosive option that teams will have to spend extra time preparing for when he's in the game.

D'Ante Smith also excites me because he provides instant depth and I think he will develop into a quality starter for us at tackle and he has the potential to become an All-Pro.

Fun fact: In a Feb draft preview PFN had Smith ranked as their 64th best prospect, a 2nd rounder, & the 3rd best Vuard behind Slater & Vera Tucker. https://www.profootballnetwork.com/dante-smith-nfl-draft-player-profile-east-carolina-offensive-tackle/

I think the Bengals want smith to grow into an long term OT role and see Carman & Hill as interior linemen.
Reply/Quote

I'm hoping they hit a homerun with Smith, we need Oline improvements bad. (duh)
Reply/Quote
I thought Taylor made a good point about how the three 4th round picks afforded them the opportunity to take the K in round 5.
Reply/Quote
This might have been the most important year for the Senior Bowl ever with everything going on, and guys playing so few games. Makes sense teams would have put a lot of emphasis on it.

Reply/Quote
With players not playing in 2020, this could have the most unpredictable draft results ever because some went with what they saw in 2020 as oppose to missing out on those who did not play. A lot can change in a year. Wouldnt be surprised is many dont work out and those that did were in the later rounds.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 09:08 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm hoping they hit a homerun with Smith, we need Oline improvements bad. (duh)

Desperately 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

I like all of those picks. Smith definitely has a ceiling and hopefully with some NFL coaching he will grow into his frame and become a good player. Im very excited about Sample too. It might just be ignorance on my part, but I have a feeling he will turn out to be a steal. I like his position versatility and some of the highlights out there got me pretty excited about him. Evans I knew nothing about when we took him, but from everything Ive read since then, it makes sense after we let Gio roll. If he can block and catch out of the backfield, he will fit in nicely. 

I am more excited about this draft every day honestly. 
Reply/Quote
We've always relied on the senior bowl though, for decades. Limited scouts in comparison to other franchises means the opportunity to coach and witness the seniors first hand is vital for the Bengals. It's not always a good sign imo.

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 09:44 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: We've always relied on the senior bowl though, for decades. Limited scouts in comparison to other franchises means the opportunity to coach and witness the seniors first hand is vital for the Bengals. It's not always a good sign imo.

Small school guys coming in and whooping ass like Sample and Smith against a higher level of competition after dominating lower competition for years is a pretty good sign though. I love that we got those two and Hubert from the senior bowl. It is a game that cranks out more NFL players than any other i do believe?
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 04:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm pretty enthused about the D'Ante Smith selection.  He's got the length and footwork that is so vital in today's NFL OL.  I just hope that they aren't forced to shove him out there, before he has adequate time to grow into an NFL body.

I think Smith has potential. But I do not think he is quite ready for NFL snaps at the moment. He needs to put on weight and do some work on technique. Though his performance at the Senior Bowl may suggest otherwise. 

I think he is a strong candidate for the PS, and to be one of the 4 protected players on it (if that rule remains the same). 

Will be interesting how the OL shakes out. We have 12 guys there but no proven 3rd tackle. Do we bring in a vet for #3? For the 2 (or 3) who don't make the 53, do we cut them loose or try to have Pollack rehabilitate them? 
Reply/Quote
From what some of the local media are saying, I'm thinking Smith winds up being a game day inactive this year while adding weight to his frame and then competing for a starting job, or swing tackle, next season. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 01:05 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: From what some of the local media are saying, I'm thinking Smith winds up being a game day inactive this year while adding weight to his frame and then competing for a starting job, or swing tackle, next season. 

The Bengals Director if College Scouting was kn 2 different podcasts yesterday. Be said that at the Senior Bowl Smith weighed something like 295 or something and that he needed ti get his weight up. And then he was impressed that he weighed in at 305 in March at his pro day.

I believe Smith in interviews after the draft said he was up to 310? He did get hurt week 1 last season and then had a bunch if Covid related stuff off and on, which caused him to lose weight.

Interesting prospect for sure! I think he will be able to get to where he needs to be pretty quickly. Hoping he flashes during camp.
Reply/Quote

Every year there is a later round player that I fall in love with...Evans is the guy this year.  His pro day and Senior Bowl performances were ridiculous.  And I love his story of redemption...rather than take the easy way out and transfer to a smaller school, he took three jobs and worked his butt off to stay at Michigan.  

Very little tread off the tires, and he is also supposed to have blitz pick-up as a major strength.  That could get him on the field sooner than later.  Love the idea of using him as a backup slot WR as well.  I don't know if he has returned kicks, but if he can he might just be on the field from week 1 over Traveyon.  
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 09:39 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Every year there is a later round player that I fall in love with...Evans is the guy this year.  His pro day and Senior Bowl performances were ridiculous.  And I love his story of redemption...rather than take the easy way out and transfer to a smaller school, he took three jobs and worked his butt off to stay at Michigan.  

Very little tread off the tires, and he is also supposed to have blitz pick-up as a major strength.  That could get him on the field sooner than later.  Love the idea of using him as a backup slot WR as well.  I don't know if he has returned kicks, but if he can he might just be on the field from week 1 over Traveyon.  

Every year there are backs from day 3 that turn into studs, he definitely fits the bill. In most cases, they are guys who were miscast in college, shunned by coaches, or never really got a full shot. I wonder if he can return punts? I would try him there in camp and see if you can find ways for him to get reps in games even if it's not on offense. 
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 09:47 AM)Au165 Wrote: Every year there are backs from day 3 that turn into studs, he definitely fits the bill. In most cases, they are guys who were miscast in college, shunned by coaches, or never really got a full shot. I wonder if he can return punts? I would try him there in camp and see if you can find ways for him to get reps in games even if it's not on offense. 

All I can find is mention that he played on special teams, but can't find any stats for him.  It would make sense, as good as he is as a receiver... 

If he is able to return punts for this team, I really like the idea of him as RB #3 and backup slot WR.  His routes at the Senior Bowl were just sick.

Plus, we get the added upside of laughing at Jim Harbaugh if he turns in to a star.   Hilarious
Reply/Quote