Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zac and the Senior Bowl...
(05-05-2021, 09:44 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: We've always relied on the senior bowl though, for decades. Limited scouts in comparison to other franchises means the opportunity to coach and witness the seniors first hand is vital for the Bengals. It's not always a good sign imo.

Do the Bengals put TOO much value on the Senior Bowl?
I mean, are you really going to get that much from a week of individual drills and then an exhibition game with guys who have never played together and just learning the scheme that week?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 12:37 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I think Smith has potential. But I do not think he is quite ready for NFL snaps at the moment. He needs to put on weight and do some work on technique. Though his performance at the Senior Bowl may suggest otherwise. 

I think he is a strong candidate for the PS, and to be one of the 4 protected players on it (if that rule remains the same). 

Will be interesting how the OL shakes out. We have 12 guys there but no proven 3rd tackle. Do we bring in a vet for #3? For the 2 (or 3) who don't make the 53, do we cut them loose or try to have Pollack rehabilitate them? 

He would still have to clear waivers to make it to practice squad.  He's not ready for nfl snaps but it very unlikely we're gonna cut a 4th rounder we just drafted.  He's gotta be stashed in the 53.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 03:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Listening to Taylor talk about the picks, the Senior Bowl was a major influence in getting guys like Cameron Sample,
D'Ante Smith and Chris Evans. With Cam and D'Ante they were asking the OL and DL players who were giving them
the most trouble and these guy's names came up consistently. D'Ante can play Guard as well.

Sounds like if we didn't see Evans at the Senior Bowl we wouldn't of picked him but he was just lighting up LB's over
and over. Great pass catcher that can pick up the blitz who is very explosive. Have to take it with a grain of salt what
happened with him at Michigan. Harbaugh is a weird dude how he runs that team.

Was talking to a friend of mine who is a huge Michigan fan and he said Evans is a steal in RD6.   Great receiver, good blocker, great attitude and elusive runner that can fill in the void from Gio. Sounds good so far..then again every yr we all bask in the afterglow of how "awsome" our drafts are.   
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 04:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Shame they didn't go after Alaric Jackson in the 7th round given they got to see him at Senior Bowl, where he played some RT and also Guard.
His original arm length measurements were wrong too, as he actually has 33.75" arms, which is plenty to stay outside.

I never heard why he slid so far? If I recall, he was highly graded.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 10:03 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Do the Bengals put TOO much value on the Senior Bowl?
I mean, are you really going to get that much from a week of individual drills and then an exhibition game with guys who have never played together and just learning the scheme that week?

I guess one thing you can learn is how quickly they pick up concepts and schemes.....
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 12:23 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I never heard why he slid so far? If I recall, he was highly graded.

He really wasn't highly graded though.
I recall at least a couple known draft sites/experts that had him rated as a 6th rounder.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 12:28 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I guess one thing you can learn is how quickly they pick up concepts and schemes.....

True, but I wouldn't discount someone who doesn't pick up a scheme in a week though.
Offseason is multiple months, so as long as they pick it up toward the end of the preseason, I'd think that'd be fine.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 11:30 AM)mikey6866 Wrote: He would still have to clear waivers to make it to practice squad.  He's not ready for nfl snaps but it very unlikely we're gonna cut a 4th rounder we just drafted.  He's gotta be stashed in the 53.

If that is the case, then bringing in a vet #3 OT becomes an imperative for me. Cannot have Fred/Adeniji out there much, if at all.

The FO won't, because that means we lack confidence in the draft picks (this year or last). Another guy = admitting mistake. Plus, you simply cannot carry two project guys on your 53 at the same spot, especially OT. That is insane.
Reply/Quote
According to Dehner's latest article, it sounds like Zac was the only HC, not on the actual coaching staffs, that was at the Senior Bowl this year. 

I remember reading about him and Callahan sitting in the end zones during OL drills unlike everyone else. I'm just surprised that he was the only HC.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 10:03 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Do the Bengals put TOO much value on the Senior Bowl?
Granted it's not the greatest indicator of a player's aptitude but I think it's way better than the Combine where you're basically just going to get measurables and some drills if you're lucky, or Pro Days which are set up for the players star to shine brightest.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 04:52 PM)Tzintzinatty Kid Wrote: Granted it's not the greatest indicator of a player's aptitude but I think it's way better than the Combine where you're basically just going to get measurables and some drills if you're lucky, or Pro Days which are set up for the players star to shine brightest.

Eh, I kinda disagree with that.
When doing the normal combine, you get to see so many prospects get compared to each other on the same playing field.
With the Senior Bowl, only a fraction of guys are there.
Yea, you get to see how some guys move, process, etc, but it isn't with as many prospects together.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 12:21 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Was talking to a friend of mine who is a huge Michigan fan and he said Evans is a steal in RD6.   Great receiver, good blocker, great attitude and elusive runner that can fill in the void from Gio. Sounds good so far..then again every yr we all bask in the afterglow of how "awsome" our drafts are.   

Just going off a few games a year that i watched of Xichigan, he didn't really impress me that much. 

He would play alright against the lesser teams, but he never really showed anything "the game". 

we'll see what he brings to the NFL, but I'm not look at him in a Gio type of way because in my opinion Gio is twice the player he was in college and if that translates to the NFL game then it'll be difficult to replace Gio's production. 
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 01:34 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: According to Dehner's latest article, it sounds like Zac was the only HC, not on the actual coaching staffs, that was at the Senior Bowl this year. 

I remember reading about him and Callahan sitting in the end zones during OL drills unlike everyone else. I'm just surprised that he was the only HC.

The Rams didn't send any coaches to the Senior Bowl.  They view it as a waste of time since they get the film, GPS data, etc. anyway.  So instead of spending a week being there in person and another week going back and reviewing the film and other data, they cut a week out by not traveling and spend that time watching more game film on players.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 05:07 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Eh, I kinda disagree with that.
When doing the normal combine, you get to see so many prospects get compared to each other on the same playing field.
With the Senior Bowl, only a fraction of guys are there.
Yea, you get to see how some guys move, process, etc, but it isn't with as many prospects together.

Well they didn't have the combine so it's a moot point, and might as well make lemonade out of the Senior Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 11:15 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Well they didn't have the combine so it's a moot point, and might as well make lemonade out of the Senior Bowl.

True, this draft season was different from the norm because of no official combine, but I recall the Bengals always putting extra emphasis on the Senior Bowl, probably more than there should be.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 09:38 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I like all of those picks. Smith definitely has a ceiling and hopefully with some NFL coaching he will grow into his frame and become a good player. Im very excited about Sample too. It might just be ignorance on my part, but I have a feeling he will turn out to be a steal. I like his position versatility and some of the highlights out there got me pretty excited about him. Evans I knew nothing about when we took him, but from everything Ive read since then, it makes sense after we let Gio roll. If he can block and catch out of the backfield, he will fit in nicely. 

I am more excited about this draft every day honestly. 

Cam Sample is a lot like Carl Lawson body wise and strength wise but he is better at stopping the run and wasn't used the right 
way at Tulane. They lined him up on the inside too much in the B gap instead of letting him rush the passer more on the outside.

This guy also could be a steal, same as D'Ante, Evans and Wyatt Hubert is just a sack monster.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 04:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Shame they didn't go after Alaric Jackson in the 7th round given they got to see him at Senior Bowl, where he played some RT and also Guard.
His original arm length measurements were wrong too, as he actually has 33.75" arms, which is plenty to stay outside.

I really liked Alaric myself. Too bad. He shouldn't of went vegan lol
Reply/Quote