Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Zac film review
(09-17-2019, 11:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's funny. The offseason was 'Any coach will improve over Marvin'.

So, was the improvement supposed to be after game 1? Game 2? Game 8?

Or is it possible that when the season is over, it's obvious that he is an improvement?

Asking for a friend.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
maybe this wil make o-line and mixon change up, dalton throwing 1 million times is nobody's recipe for success.
Reply/Quote
I'm a glass half full kind of guy when the glass has a hole in the bottom.. We're in line to win the Moral Super Bowl with all these moral victories piling up.. ThumbsUp
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2019, 11:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's funny. The offseason was 'Any coach will improve over Marvin'.

Now, it's going to take Taylor 2-3 years. The bad thing about 2-3 years is Geno, AJ, and Dunlap will essentially not be elite then. And odds of replacing them with equally elite players is low.

Well, realistically, I think it takes most new coaches a few years to get the ball rolling. The recent exception I can think of his Jim Harbaugh with the 49ers. They were consistently between 8-8 and 6-10 for years, then the very first season he turned them into 13-3 monsters. Granted, he had a stacked roster and we don't. But again, realistically, with the roster we have, it'll probably take ZT a good 2-3 seasons to really get things going the way he wants, to build his culture, and to draft the way he wants to draft (assuming MB lets him). 

That being said, I couldn't be happier that Marv is gone. If ZT's first season is 4-12, I'm still happier to have him than I would be an 8-8 Marvin. Because there's potential with ZT. 

And looking at McVay, I believe it only took him 2 season to turn the Rams into a powerhouse. So let's give ZT some time. There's no reason not to have faith in him at this point. 
[Image: Kongmoving.gif] Tiger
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2019, 12:22 PM)pally Wrote: Apparently, the normal Monday film reviews are done within position groups.  Yesterday Zac held it with the entire team and went series by series.  Maybe everything on the field hasnt kicked in yet but it is nice to see some improvement over just saying "we've got to play better"

https://theathletic.com/1217504/2019/09/17/this-week-in-bengals-recent-history-shows-ugly-uphill-climb-facing-bengals/  (behind pay wall)

Zac: “We went series by series with the whole team through that first half to let everybody know where the accountability lies with every position, with each side of the ball and with every coach. We want to make sure we’re all accountable. We’re all in this thing together. We’re not here to point fingers, we’re just here to get it right.

As disappointed as I am with the DC already, based on the lack of adjustments and getting absolutely curb-stomped on defense, I like what ZT is doing here.  I gave Marvin a TON of rope over the years.  ZT deserves some as well.  I just doubt I will be very optimistic for some time.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2019, 01:14 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Im all for calling people out in front of a group for sucking. People will get butthurt, but they need to know when they suck.

Supposedly Forrest Gregg did the same thing.  Lapham would say that you were walking in to those film sessions with "pit stains", not wanting to be pointed out and ridden for poor play.  He said players hated it, but no one wanted to be pointed out like that a second time. 
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2019, 08:20 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Supposedly Forrest Gregg did the same thing.  Lapham would say that you were walking in to those film sessions with "pit stains", not wanting to be pointed out and ridden for poor play.  He said players hated it, but no one wanted to be pointed out like that a second time. 

I think it should be happening, but you know these player today probably come with fragile ego's.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2019, 11:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote:  Geno, AJ, and Dunlap will essentially not be elite then. 

I don't know what your definition of elite is but none of those players are elite. Atkins has one sack in the last nine games. AJ can't stay healthy, Dunlap has two sacks in the last ten. We need younger players who can step up and replace the weak CORE of our so called elite players.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2019, 11:30 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: So, was the improvement supposed to be after game 1? Game 2? Game 8?

Or is it possible that when the season is over, it's obvious that he is an improvement?

Asking for a friend.

Improvement to me would be a better record.

We were 4-1 last year when healthy, then injuries derailed the season.

IF we bring back basically a similar roster to last year, and finish with a worse record...with Dalton healthy all year...then the coaches were worse.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2019, 11:30 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: So, was the improvement supposed to be after game 1? Game 2? Game 8?

I am not sure.

How long did you give Zampese to improve things as OC?
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2019, 02:33 AM)Adamantium Wrote: Well, realistically, I think it takes most new coaches a few years to get the ball rolling. The recent exception I can think of his Jim Harbaugh with the 49ers. They were consistently between 8-8 and 6-10 for years, then the very first season he turned them into 13-3 monsters. Granted, he had a stacked roster and we don't. But again, realistically, with the roster we have, it'll probably take ZT a good 2-3 seasons to really get things going the way he wants, to build his culture, and to draft the way he wants to draft (assuming MB lets him). 

That being said, I couldn't be happier that Marv is gone. If ZT's first season is 4-12, I'm still happier to have him than I would be an 8-8 Marvin. Because there's potential with ZT. 

And looking at McVay, I believe it only took him 2 season to turn the Rams into a powerhouse. So let's give ZT some time. There's no reason not to have faith in him at this point. 

The Rams added several upgrades via free agency each year. McVay didn't come in and turn the same roster that Fisher had into a powerhouse.

Those upgrades are what's lacking here.

Imagine if the Bengals went out and signed an upgrade at LB and then a really good Guard like Saffold. We'd have 2 spots instantly upgraded. Instead, they signed guys like Preston Brown who are slow LB's that get exploited and Dennard...who may not play this year.

The Bengals had a willingness to spend this year...they just whiffed.

Webb looks like a terrible CB too and he's making over $3 million a year.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2019, 08:14 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: As disappointed as I am with the DC already, based on the lack of adjustments and getting absolutely curb-stomped on defense, I like what ZT is doing here.  I gave Marvin a TON of rope over the years.  ZT deserves some as well.  I just doubt I will be very optimistic for some time.

The passing offense does look good...and that's with AJ Green out.

IF we had a line that could actually run block, our offense would be explosive. But, we don't.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2019, 08:20 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Supposedly Forrest Gregg did the same thing.  Lapham would say that you were walking in to those film sessions with "pit stains", not wanting to be pointed out and ridden for poor play.  He said players hated it, but no one wanted to be pointed out like that a second time. 

I agree that accountability is good. The thing is, calling players out for poor play is only effective IF they can actually improve. Some of these guys just aren't good.
Reply/Quote

Was it though? I remember a lot of discussion about who should be HC and of the guys interviewed who should NOT be head coach. There was a lot of concern over getting the right guy. But, I don't recall anyone being happy with just anyone. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2019, 10:50 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Was it though? I remember a lot of discussion about who should be HC and of the guys interviewed who should NOT be head coach. There was a lot of concern over getting the right guy. But, I don't recall anyone being happy with just anyone. 

There definitely was a narrative that ZT would be better than Lewis by default by a decent amount of people.

It's not playing out like that early on.

Let's just hope that the 49ers loss was our low-point of the year. A win against Buffalo and then Pittsburgh would be huge.
Reply/Quote
Who knows maybe the 49ers are a elite team. good in both trenches a brilliant offensive mind.playing against a team playing with their 3rd and 4th string left tackle. A banged up starting running back with the number 1 receiver out. If we played them again if we had better health do we expect the same result. It's not only who you play in this league but when you play them.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2019, 11:09 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Who knows maybe the 49ers are a elite team. good in both trenches a brilliant offensive mind.playing against a team playing with their 3rd and 4th string left tackle. A banged up starting running back with the number 1 receiver out. If we played them again if we had better health do we expect the same result. It's not only who you play in this league but when you play them.

See I think defense was the main issue...and they were without Coleman and Staley got hurt too on their line.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2019, 12:22 PM)pally Wrote: Apparently, the normal Monday film reviews are done within position groups.  Yesterday Zac held it with the entire team and went series by series.  Maybe everything on the field hasnt kicked in yet but it is nice to see some improvement over just saying "we've got to play better"

https://theathletic.com/1217504/2019/09/17/this-week-in-bengals-recent-history-shows-ugly-uphill-climb-facing-bengals/  (behind pay wall)

Zac: “We went series by series with the whole team through that first half to let everybody know where the accountability lies with every position, with each side of the ball and with every coach. We want to make sure we’re all accountable. We’re all in this thing together. We’re not here to point fingers, we’re just here to get it right.

Coach Taylor said this was done not to point fingers at certain players.  It was done to show everybody made mistakes in this game from the coaches to Dalton to everybody on the team.   Accountability is the word Coach Taylor used.   He held the entire team accountable including himself.  

He did say the game was close but then 49ers scored end of half, got the 2nd half kick-off and scored and game went from what, 17 to 10, to 31 to 10.  I'm guessing on the points, but you see the swing it caused.  So the touchdowns before and after the half killed them.  

Coach Taylor said that opening wide open TD pass was the Bengals D players not using their eyes and communicating on the field, the entire Bengals D nowhere near the wide open receiver on The Bomb TD pass.   So on D they have to use their eyes and not get faked out so bad, and they need more chatter reading the D and helping each other out communicating.  

On offense he said they fell back into making too many penalties wiping out big plays and putting themselves needing 10, 20, 30 yards for 1st downs all game long.  The coach said Dalton made some big mistakes such as the turnover early that cost them points.  That as a Vet he should know to throw it away there, and not throw a hail mary pick in that spot.

So the Coach was trying to show the entire team that everybody needs to improve their game, so don't finger point, and do your jobs.  He said he thought the team attitude was good and ready to play better.  He thinks they can play better and they do show character that they want to play better.  

and no, Dalton was not angry at the O Line in this meeting.  Dalton admitted his mistakes, everybody admitted their mistakes.  It was a team meeting without finger pointing.  Fans can finger point, a team can not.  You win as a team, you lose as a team. The goal is for a better Team Effort against Buffalo and correct the mistakes made by everybody on the team, including himself and coaches as Taylor said. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2019, 11:21 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: See I think defense was the main issue...and they were without Coleman and Staley got hurt too on their line.

with Mixon being an 8 or a 9 and Gio being a 6. 49ers have pretty much three 7 guys decent and productive so they don't miss a beat when 1 goes down. Staley went out i believe when we were already down 2 or 3 scores
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2019, 10:08 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not sure.

How long did you give Zampese to improve things as OC?

Not as long as i'd give Taylor.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote