Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Zac film review
what caught my attention was that he was very willing to quickly adjust his normal when it was necessary. Being able to be flexible in approach will serve him well in the long run

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2019, 11:30 AM)kevin Wrote: Coach Taylor said this was done not to point fingers at certain players.  It was done to show everybody made mistakes in this game from the coaches to Dalton to everybody on the team.   Accountability is the word Coach Taylor used.   He held the entire team accountable including himself.  

He did say the game was close but then 49ers scored end of half, got the 2nd half kick-off and scored and game went from what, 17 to 10, to 31 to 10.  I'm guessing on the points, but you see the swing it caused.  So the touchdowns before and after the half killed them.  

Coach Taylor said that opening wide open TD pass was the Bengals D players not using their eyes and communicating on the field, the entire Bengals D nowhere near the wide open receiver on The Bomb TD pass.   So on D they have to use their eyes and not get faked out so bad, and they need more chatter reading the D and helping each other out communicating.  

On offense he said they fell back into making too many penalties wiping out big plays and putting themselves needing 10, 20, 30 yards for 1st downs all game long.  The coach said Dalton made some big mistakes such as the turnover early that cost them points.  That as a Vet he should know to throw it away there, and not throw a hail mary pick in that spot.

So the Coach was trying to show the entire team that everybody needs to improve their game, so don't finger point, and do your jobs.  He said he thought the team attitude was good and ready to play better.  He thinks they can play better and they do show character that they want to play better.  

and no, Dalton was not angry at the O Line in this meeting.  Dalton admitted his mistakes, everybody admitted their mistakes.  It was a team meeting without finger pointing.  Fans can finger point, a team can not.  You win as a team, you lose as a team. The goal is for a better Team Effort against Buffalo and correct the mistakes made by everybody on the team, including himself and coaches as Taylor said. 

Is it accountability when you don't name names and essentially blame everyone?

That's the opposite of accountability when it's everyone. It's also disturbing IF THAT MANY players are making mistakes.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2019, 12:04 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Is it accountability when you don't name names and essentially blame everyone?

That's the opposite of accountability when it's everyone. It's also disturbing IF THAT MANY players are making mistakes.

I think he's calling out EVERYONE that made mistakes. By name. It's just he's showing that SO MANY made mistakes. And yes, it is concerning if a lot of players were making mistakes, but considering this is a whole new coaching staff with whole new offenses and defenses, it probably should be more of a surprise there weren't a lot of mistakes in Seattle
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2019, 12:07 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I think he's calling out EVERYONE that made mistakes. By name. It's just he's showing that SO MANY made mistakes. And yes, it is concerning if a lot of players were making mistakes, but considering this is a whole new coaching staff with whole new offenses and defenses, it probably should be more of a surprise there weren't a lot of mistakes in Seattle

My guess is that now that we have games on tape that teams know how to attack us. I think that's a difference from the Seattle game.

I'd be more encouraged if we could identify 1 or 2 players who made mistakes because there is recourse in fixing that.

I'm guessing our DE's played bad too and failed to set the edge many times. So while the LB's looked bad, the DE's didn't help.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2019, 12:04 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Is it accountability when you don't name names and essentially blame everyone?

In the game film meeting he did name names.  It was done as a team instead of in groups so that Offense doesn't blame Defense and such.  So names were mentioned in team as a whole watching game film, including Dalton, including Taylor pointing out his mistakes.  This was not a break down of one or two players.  The entire team made mistakes.  Now you find that disturbing, I find it to be expected with how bad team was last few years under Marvin.   The New Coach point of this meeting was they failed as a team including coaches,  watch the film, watch the mistakes, learn from it.    Nobody said NEW DEY was going to be an instant fix.  When Marvin and Hue walked off the field last season, this team STUNK.  This team meeting was to let every player know they all have mistakes to clean up.   I saw many mistakes they were making under Marvin last few years.   

So there is accountability to this meeting.  To point out to each any every player what they are doing wrong, is the only way to get them to play right.  Every player had a bad game against 49ers.  They all needed a boot camp dressing down and they got one.  Now to go out and do better.  There are still some Marvin bad habits out there last Sunday in Home Opener that need cleaned up.   Taylor did not baby Dalton on his mistakes and Dalton was pointed out by the coach like everybody else.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2019, 12:10 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: My guess is that now that we have games on tape that teams know how to attack us. I think that's a difference from the Seattle game.

Tackling was much better against Seattle.

That has nothing to do with film or scheme.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2019, 11:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's funny. The offseason was 'Any coach will improve over Marvin'.

Now, it's going to take Taylor 2-3 years. The bad thing about 2-3 years is Geno, AJ, and Dunlap will essentially not be elite then. And odds of replacing them with equally elite players is low.

Well then harp on Mikey boy to loosen the Purse strings and get some glaring weaknesses improved in Free Agency.

If he had done that this year, he wouldn't have lost much in Comp Picks. It was actually a good year to do it and could have completely addressed the Defense this past off season leaving the draft to address the OL and special teamers. Shoot, I would've been willing to sacrifice some picks for next year, to address the OL this year, if my guy was there and I needed/wanted to move up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2019, 03:32 PM)PlayadLc Wrote: I totally agree.

I love his press conferences. Taylor is not going to waiver one bit from his plan and he’s going to hold his players to his standard. They aren’t used to this yet.

ZT hasn't been "bungalized" yet!

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2019, 10:50 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Was it though? I remember a lot of discussion about who should be HC and of the guys interviewed who should NOT be head coach. There was a lot of concern over getting the right guy. But, I don't recall anyone being happy with just anyone. 

I think a lot of fans were fearful that the Bengals would hire within the organization.  

I think that change was necessary and I think most fans were excited but there were disagreements on who the new guy should be.  For Taylor to win over fans, the team will have to win. Win in the playoffs.  Anything short of that, I think fans will continue to question the hire.   
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2019, 10:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well the narrative on the board in the offseason was that Lewis and Company were so bad that any coach could come in and be an upgrade.

Now the narrative is, wow is the roster bad. No coach can succeed here. Give him time.

Typical shifting of the target after the arrow is launched.

The two points aren't mutually exclusive though. In particular there's no time frame set in the first point and being an upgrade is a purely relative assessment whereas being successful is an absolute assessment.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2019, 09:44 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: I don't know what your definition of elite is but none of those players are elite. Atkins has one sack in the last nine games. AJ can't stay healthy, Dunlap has two sacks in the last ten. We need younger players who can step up and replace the weak CORE of our so called elite players.

They are as close to elite as we've gotten under Tobin.....

and that was what 7-9 years ago? They are past their prime, but that's all we got to show for around here in the "elite" category.

Tobin's got to go.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2019, 09:44 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: I don't know what your definition of elite is but none of those players are elite. Atkins has one sack in the last nine games. AJ can't stay healthy, Dunlap has two sacks in the last ten. We need younger players who can step up and replace the weak CORE of our so called elite players.

Injuries don’t stop a player from being elite. Was Gronk not elite because he missed a lot of games?

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2019, 07:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Injuries don’t stop a player from being elite. Was Gronk not elite because he missed a lot of games?

So  you agree that two of the three are not elite? Of the three AJ is the closest to being elite, #7 ranked in active receivers, but how can you call a player elite when he isn't in the top ten in receiving in three plus years.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2019, 07:26 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: So  you agree that two of the three are not elite? Of the three AJ is the closest to being elite, #7 ranked in active receivers, but how can you call a player elite when he isn't in the top ten in receiving in three plus years.

I think AJ and Geno both are. AJ is still every bit as good as he’s always been when he is on the field, and Geno is probably still the 2nd best DT in the league after Donald. Or at least way up there anyway.

Dunlap has never been elite, imo. He’s good, but not great.

Reply/Quote
Relax everyone. It is not as bad as it looks. Coach said he watched the game and it was not a total meltdown. It was just one player on each play that did not do their job. And it was a different player on each play. So the total meltdown we saw Sunday is just a small fix. New Dey. Watch out buffalo.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2019, 10:09 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Rams added several upgrades via free agency each year. McVay didn't come in and turn the same roster that Fisher had into a powerhouse.

Those upgrades are what's lacking here.

Imagine if the Bengals went out and signed an upgrade at LB and then a really good Guard like Saffold. We'd have 2 spots instantly upgraded. Instead, they signed guys like Preston Brown who are slow LB's that get exploited and Dennard...who may not play this year.

The Bengals had a willingness to spend this year...they just whiffed.

Webb looks like a terrible CB too and he's making over $3 million a year.

A lot of people ignore this or just don't know.

It's like they hear "McVay" and think that ZT will morph into him and his situation.

Way different variables with this ownership.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Best way to confirm 2nd half adjustments is when you at least score more in the second half than the 1st half, which has yet to materialize. I suspect this team, like Marvin's previously is maybe not in shape as they should.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2019, 08:01 PM)chopperbobby Wrote: Relax everyone. It is not as bad as it looks. Coach said he watched the game and it was not a total meltdown. It was just one player on each play that did not do their job. And it was a different player on each play.  So the total meltdown we saw Sunday is just a small fix.  New Dey. Watch out buffalo.

Yes - Just got to stop every player who plays from doing the wrong thing. Minor tweak.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2019, 09:12 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: A lot of people ignore this or just don't know.

It's like they hear "McVay" and think that ZT will morph into him and his situation.

Way different variables with this ownership.

Yes. Honestly, I don't know that McVay could be successful here.

And make no mistake, the Rams were inept under Fisher...but they realized this and started bring guys in as free agents with new coaches. You can't expect a coach to make a bunch of mediocre players better.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2019, 09:12 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Best way to confirm 2nd half adjustments is when you at least score more in the second half than the 1st half, which has yet to materialize. I suspect this team, like Marvin's previously is maybe not in shape as they should.

Hey! The 49ers 2nd half adjustments worked though!
Reply/Quote