Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zac provedaginst cards he can still call a good game
Prior to Cards game his playcalling/game management have been poor. He finally showed he was capable of calling a good NFL game again. Maybe if we get more of this Zac yesterday as opposed to the first 4. We win the North and maybe even win the SB this year.
Reply/Quote
Or he’s been calling the same plays all along and Burrow just didn’t suck today lol
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 07:40 AM)Housh Wrote: Or he’s been calling the same plays all along and Burrow just didn’t suck today lol

But trolling aside

I did actually think the playcalling was near perfect. Usage of the run, when to call play action, when to use screens to Chase and Boyd.

This gameplan HELPED Burrow be great. Usually it’s Burrow making Zac look good.

His usage of out routes VS backed off cover 4 and man.

Just so much went right for Zac today. Totally outcoached Gannon.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Play calling still has a ways to go. They won that game on the strength of our two best players on offense, Joe and Jamarr. Calling those runs from shotgun in short yardage should be just thrown out the window.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Isn’t it amazing how much Zac Taylor’s play calling “improved” with Joe Burrow being just a little more mobile in the pocket?
Reply/Quote
I think Zac called a average game. Let's keep in mind it's the Cardinals who lack really any difference makers on
Defense and their DC is still learning the ropes.
There was all kind of miscommunication in the Cards
Secondary.
I wasn't crazy about the 4 straight runs called inside the 5.
4 runs basically up the middle. That backline route that Chase scored on later would have worked in that play series. The safety kept run blitzing so Chase all he had to do was beat the CB.
Or how about naked bootleg pass to TE chipping and slipping out?
Let's see if ZT can put up 34 on the Hawks and 48ers
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 07:40 AM)Housh Wrote: Or he’s been calling the same plays all along and Burrow just didn’t suck today lol

Pretty much this....plus we finally got to play with a lead.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 07:54 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Play calling still has a ways to go.  They won that game on the strength of our two best players on offense, Joe and Jamarr.  Calling those runs from shotgun in short yardage should be just thrown out the window.

Seriously. Put a goal line/short yardage package together where Joe is under center. 

3 run plays. 
3 pass plays. 
3 play action plays. 

Keep them guessing on short yardage. This isn't that hard. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 09:50 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Seriously. Put a goal line/short yardage package together where Joe is under center. 

3 run plays. 
3 pass plays. 
3 play action plays. 

Keep them guessing on short yardage. This isn't that hard. 

Or, maybe even run some under center stuff when it's not short yardage.  You know, give defenses more to have to prepare for..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 07:54 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Play calling still has a ways to go.  They won that game on the strength of our two best players on offense, Joe and Jamarr.  Calling those runs from shotgun in short yardage should be just thrown out the window.

Yes. And that's how it's been. When the big stars go off, we win.

The Cardinals have a weak defense. Had this been the Browns/Ravens/Rams/Titans defenses...we may still have struggled.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 09:51 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Or, maybe even run some under center stuff when it's not short yardage.  You know, give defenses more to have to prepare for..

I was trying to keep it simple. I know Burrow hates going under center, but I'd def be OK with more under center stuff. 

And we talk about innovation all the time, but here's a crazy idea...occasionally start Joe off in the shotgun, let him read the defense, then bring him under center before he snaps the ball. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 09:53 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I was trying to keep it simple. I know Burrow hates going under center, but I'd def be OK with more under center stuff. 

And we talk about innovation all the time, but here's a crazy idea...occasionally start Joe off in the shotgun, let him read the defense, then bring him under center before he snaps the ball. 

That’s my one gripe with Joe. I know he prefers and is better from the gun, but if he wants to be the best, he really needs to work on getting better from under center. It’s long overdue.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 09:55 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: That’s my one gripe with Joe. I know he prefers and is better from the gun, but if he wants to be the best, he really needs to work on getting better from under center.  It’s long overdue.

Before this year we didn't have a capable line to use this as a option
Reply/Quote

Agree on all points

They've got to figure out how to run the ball better on 3rd and short, goal to go so on. Mixon had some decent runs yesterday for sure. But we're still to inconsistent when we need it.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 09:55 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: That’s my one gripe with Joe. I know he prefers and is better from the gun, but if he wants to be the best, he really needs to work on getting better from under center.  It’s long overdue.

Agree

I've been wondering if we ever get the Oline fixed if he wouldn't be more inclined to use under center. I mean right now and in the past it may well be he's afraid to turn his back to the rush?
Reply/Quote
I'll pass on a dish of crow with regards to Zac playcalling for now... We didn't get to this point of frustration with it after 1 game and I don't think crow should be served after 1 game.

But I know cooks are cooking up batches this morning and deservingly so after the last month. I've had my fill with Burrow. At least Burrow has proven himself in the past, Zac as a playcaller tho...

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Bengals just need to use the Eagles tush push
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 10:23 AM)jj22 Wrote: I'll pass on a dish of crow with regards to Zac playcalling for now... We didn't get to this point of frustration with it after 1 game and I don't think crow should be served after 1 game.

But I know cooks are cooking up batches this morning and deservingly so after the last month. I've had my fill with Burrow. At least Burrow has proven himself in the past, Zac as a playcaller tho...

Yeah, the plays he called were similar to the ones the 1st 4 games of the year. They just worked this game.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 10:12 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Before this year we didn't have a capable line to use this as a option

That’s just not true. Burrow is more comfortable in the shotgun, hence the reason to use this look. I would challenge him to work better at being under center. Also the OL, in the back half of last year was above average.

This is something Joe needs to work on to have a more balanced attack.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 10:23 AM)jj22 Wrote: I'll pass on a dish of crow with regards to Zac playcalling for now... We didn't get to this point of frustration with it after 1 game and I don't think crow should be served after 1 game.

Yeah, 5 playoff wins, 2 AFCCGs and a Super Bowl. We're all sitting here waiting on him to prove himself....Facepalm
Reply/Quote