Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zac's Preseason Plan
Given the success, and the energy our team has shown are we as a fanbase willing to sacrifice September as preseason from here on out? Patriots used to lose all of their games in September just to go on 10 game win streaks and it did work for them. Are we sold on Zac's preseaon plan now?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 02:37 PM)jj22 Wrote: Given the success, and the energy our team has shown are we as a fanbase willing to sacrifice September as preseason from here on out? Patriots used to lose all of their games in September just to go on 10 game win streaks and it did work for them. Our we sold on Zac's preseaon plan now?

The only issue is that the slow start and terrible loss to the Steelers cost us the #1 seed.  I realize that there were other things going on (Burrow's health) and the line coming together, but the one thing that Taylor has this team doing is playing its best ball at then end of the year.
Reply/Quote
Can't make a habit of starting the season 0-2... Burrow needs a few reps and to finally avoid the hospital
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
I liked the approach, but felt like the new line needed reps together, so, mixed bag?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Prayer circle for a normal off-season for Burrow.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 02:37 PM)jj22 Wrote: Given the success, and the energy our team has shown are we as a fanbase willing to sacrifice September as preseason from here on out? Patriots used to lose all of their games in September just to go on 10 game win streaks and it did work for them. Our we sold on Zac's preseaon plan now?

Eh, no that is not the plan. If there is one regret, it was not playing our starting OL in the Preseason to get them on the same page before 
the opener against them damn stealers. But all his other plans have been fantastic and even Romo was saying how this team reminded him
of the Billy B/Tom Patriots of old especially on how we play Defense. Pretty cool man to say the least.
Reply/Quote

I think every game is important. So I’d say no. I disagreed about the OL not playing in the preseason. But I’d say there’s a basis going forward.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 02:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eh, no that is not the plan. If there is one regret, it was not playing our starting OL in the Preseason to get them on the same page before 
the opener against them damn stealers. But all his other plans have been fantastic and even Romo was saying how this team reminded him
of the Billy B/Tom Patriots of old especially on how we play Defense. Pretty cool man to say the least.

That's a two headed snake. If we had played the starting linemen in the pre-season and lost say Ted Karras for the season due to injury in a meaningless game, we'd all be complaining about why we were playing starters in the pre-season. The coaches and the players ALL say they get better work with the reps they get in practice than they do in PS games anyway. I think it is an unnecessary risk.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 02:42 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Can't make a habit of starting the season 0-2... Burrow needs a few reps and to finally avoid the hospital

This was my first thought, but winning in Buffalo and another AFC title win in KC might indicate that we have done fine on the road and without those high seeds.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 02:41 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The only issue is that the slow start and terrible loss to the Steelers cost us the #1 seed.  I realize that there were other things going on (Burrow's health) and the line coming together, but the one thing that Taylor has this team doing is playing its best ball at then end of the year.

It is... and we have not lost a game since october. Do you remember Burrow saying "just relax" after the Cowboys game?
Reply/Quote
Burrow was hurt and not himself. It’s that simple. If he was healthy or even 90% we are the one seed. We also had an almost completely new line. You can definitely say they should have had a few preseason drives together but Collins was hurt too. Even with the o line growing pains, we still win 1-2 more games if Burrow wasn’t coming off surgery. I’m not worried about it. We shouldn’t have that many new o line starters again and hopefully burrow can stay healthy.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 02:44 PM)Wyche Wrote: I liked the approach, but felt like the new line needed reps together, so, mixed bag?

(01-23-2023, 02:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eh, no that is not the plan. If there is one regret, it was not playing our starting OL in the Preseason to get them on the same page before 

Agree, We were several games into the season before Oline got it together. That could have been quicker with some preseason time I do believe.

And I know the injury argument. But I still feel the 1st team needs a good bit of preseason snaps to polish off the rust.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 02:37 PM)jj22 Wrote: Given the success, and the energy our team has shown are we as a fanbase willing to sacrifice September as preseason from here on out? Patriots used to lose all of their games in September just to go on 10 game win streaks and it did work for them. Are we sold on Zac's preseaon plan now?

It was certainly more the OL learning to come together with, seemingly, a majority on this site not understanding or wanting to. It was an embarrassment to read the posts how Taylor needs to go, the OL, the OC, etc.

Coaches also grow and need to learn about the team they put on the field and that s___t takes time.
Reply/Quote
“Sacrificing” September was why we were still playing to secure the AFCN in week 18. It cost us a chance at the #1 seed.

There was no plan, Joe’s appendectomy and subsequent infection plus preseason OL injuries delayed the development of the off season. Joe especially was not ready to play to his best self. I’m not saying he would have managed the preseason games much differently but circumstances totally screwed up training camp.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I didn't then and still now don't believe our issues were the lack of preseason games. The issue was Joe and the coaches didn't have a great plan in place for the cover 2 defenses they were going to be getting the first quarter of the season. No amount of preseason games were going to show them that because teams aren't scheming for preseason games.

We are past that hump and so I don't think we have anything to worry about, let Zach ruin it however he wants as he has shown he knows what he is doing. Also...if McPherson could have hit some kicks it wouldn't have mattered.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 02:37 PM)jj22 Wrote: Given the success, and the energy our team has shown are we as a fanbase willing to sacrifice September as preseason from here on out? Patriots used to lose all of their games in September just to go on 10 game win streaks and it did work for them. Are we sold on Zac's preseaon plan now?

I think it was really easy to question it early on, but who is to say that 3 all new pieces immediately gel if they played some of the preseason games, and it doesn't even factor that Burrow's appendix actually RUPTURED.  I'm so damn tired of hearing:  "I  had an appendectomy and went to work a few days later".  When an organ ruptures there is a HUGE risk of sepsis in the blood and could be FATAL.  That is why he had the IV antibiotic for some time after the surgery.

There is no way those two things couldn't have a huge impact on how the season would start.  And it isn't like they got blown out in those first two games.  An injured long snapper is something that was so rare, but it cost them week 1.

The bottom line?  Zac has earned the trust to do whatever the hell he thinks is best for this team.  The players responded to it and they have proven his plan works.
Reply/Quote
it's a mixed bag.
would loved to have seen them out there for one series just to get game tape for them too look at and figure out where they need to improve at.
But Collins and Burrow weren't 100%, so better to let (in this particular Pre-season) Volson-Carman duke it out and find your back ups.

This year will be different again, might even flow like last years, as the guys now have a full season of playing together so no need to over do it, maybe stick with one series then sit. I personally don't want our top players playing much in pre-season. Players in the pre-season (back-ups/guys trying to make the team) play with a much more fearless and wreckless approach than the starters would. You don't want those guys repeatedly going after your starters when it doesn't matter who wins.
Reply/Quote
No.

Burrow got sacked 13 times and 20 qb hits in the first two weeks, and the Bengals had to dig themselves out of an 0-2 hole because of that.

They play in the preseason and the Bengals are the #1 seed, Burrow probably has 8 less sacks on the season, and Burrow is also MVP.

EDIT: Tom Brady is 47-19 in Sept.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Hmm I wonder if we are ever going to scrimmage with the Rams again?

[Image: nrx4pdp2aj1f3bs6vxpu.jpg]
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote

No as we started off really slow this season 
Reply/Quote