Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zac vs Shula
So many people seem to recall (falsely) that in the 90's we got blew out a lot. But, we didn't. Shula actually won more games than Zac, but also had a lot of close losses. The teams had talent too. For instance, the 1992 team had Pickens as ROY. Had Harold Green. A rookie QB in Klingler. (And yeah Shula won 2 road games his 1st year. Zac has yet to win 1.)

1992 - Shula's 1st Year
5 wins + 4 losses by a TD or less. Pickens Rookie of the Year. Harold Green Pro Bowl RB. Drafted a rookie QB in Klingler. Won 2 Road Games.
So yeah, you make 1 TD losses wins and he has 9. 274 points for/364 against.

3 wins (3 out of last 6 games), 5 TD or less losses. 6 losses by 8 points or less. No road wins. Klingler was the starter. 187 points for/319 against

3 wins, 7 TD or less losses. 8 by 8 points or less. 276 points for/406 against.

7 wins, 5 TD or less losses. 349 points for/374 points against.

1 win/3 TD or less losses. Coslett takes over after 7 games.

2019 - Zac
2 Wins/7 TD or less losses/8 by 8 or less. 279 points for/420 against.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 01:36 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So many people seem to recall (falsely) that in the 90's we got blew out a lot. But, we didn't. Shula actually won more games than Zac, but also had a lot of close losses. The teams had talent too. For instance, the 1992 team had Pickens as ROY. Had Harold Green. A rookie QB in Klingler. (And yeah Shula won 2 road games his 1st year. Zac has yet to win 1.)

1992 - Shula's 1st Year
5 wins + 4 losses by a TD or less. Pickens Rookie of the Year. Harold Green Pro Bowl RB. Drafted a rookie QB in Klingler. Won 2 Road Games.

3 wins (3 out of last 6 games), 5 TD or less losses. 6 losses by 8 points or less. No road wins. Klingler was the starter. 187 points for/319 against

2019 - Zac
+10000000000000000...
I was thinking about something at work tonight. I was thinking the Zack backers who want him back next year or were borderline trolls,  but I think I get it. I still hate Zack and want him gone but I get it. Look how many times Mike Brown has got it wrong.. It sucks to have to keep starting over when you know they most likely will **** it up again... I mean look at this title " Taylor Vs Shula.... That's God awful right there. They got it really really wrong twice. Kind of amazing they could be this bad if you think about it...
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 01:36 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So many people seem to recall (falsely) that in the 90's we got blew out a lot. But, we didn't. Shula actually won more games than Zac, but also had a lot of close losses. The teams had talent too. For instance, the 1992 team had Pickens as ROY. Had Harold Green. A rookie QB in Klingler. (And yeah Shula won 2 road games his 1st year. Zac has yet to win 1.)

1992 - Shula's 1st Year

2019 - Zac

Excellent post. Prior to the Dolphins game, I was ok with Zac getting 1 more year to prove himself. I'm now firmly on the SackZac bandwagon. But, one of the reasons I was ok with Zac getting a 3rd year was because of all the close losses. This would definitely had me on the bandwagon sooner had I seen this information earlier. Kinda moot, now, for me. But rep anyways.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 02:09 AM)Tony Wrote: +10000000000000000...
I was thinking about something at work tonight. I was thinking the Zack backers who want him back next year or were borderline trolls,  but I think I get it. I still hate Zack and want him gone but I get it. Look how many times Mike Brown has got it wrong.. It sucks to have to keep starting over when you know they most likely will **** it up again... I mean look at this title " Taylor Vs Shula.... That's God awful right there. They got it really really wrong twice. Kind of amazing they could be this bad if you think about it...

I was thinking about how most people wanted Zac fired after the Miami game, but that triggered the 90's. You fire Zac and replace him with Simmons or Golden. Then, say the Bengals go out and win 2 of 4 games. Messes up draft slot for Sewell, but management is like 'Wow, they can win with this guy. We'd be 8-8 or 10-6 if this guy coached Burrow.' Then, they keep that mediocre coach several more years.

We need a coach who can come in and change the culture and structure and not talk about it.

I think a Harbaugh can do that. Obviously a Cowher can. <--I doubt that either of those guys would come here though. That's where we're hamstrung.

Our best and most attainable coach might be a guy that goes to a bad D1 program and turns it around. The skillset that it takes to do that has some overlap to what we need. Of course, they'd need established NFL-caliber coordinators like Gruden and Del Rio.

Maybe like a Matt Campbell at Iowa State is a fit? He's from Ohio.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 10:28 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I was thinking about how most people wanted Zac fired after the Miami game, but that triggered the 90's. You fire Zac and replace him with Simmons or Golden. 

I want Zac gone, now, but I want it done after the season. Unless you are giving the interim HC a chance to earn the position (which would not be fair since he most likely would hire different coordinators), there's no reason to fire the HC before the end of the season AT THIS POINT in the season.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 10:27 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Excellent post. Prior to the Dolphins game, I was ok with Zac getting 1 more year to prove himself. I'm now firmly on the SackZac bandwagon. But, one of the reasons I was ok with Zac getting a 3rd year was because of all the close losses. This would definitely had me on the bandwagon sooner had I seen this information earlier. Kinda moot, now, for me. But rep anyways.

Yeah - I look at close losses especially how we lost so many different ways and think, 'Wow - IF we had the Steelers staff coaching us, this roster would probably be 9-7.'

The NFC East is terrible this year. Terrible. We should have been able to win 2 games minimum there. Then, we played so many other bad teams like the Chargers.

Then games we played well in the 1st half in like the Colts game, their coaches adjusted and shut us down in the 2nd half and dominated us offensively.

Good coaching staffs don't let that happen.

Honestly, and I know people don't like to hear this...with Marvin Lewis, we probably win 7-8 games this year and Burrow doesn't get hurt. I have a feeling Marvin would have an OL Coach here that could run the ball and we would have give the ball to Mixon and Bernard a lot and Perrine when Mixon was injured.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 10:33 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Honestly, and I know people don't like to hear this...with Marvin Lewis, we probably win 7-8 games this year and Burrow doesn't get hurt. I have a feeling Marvin would have an OL Coach here that could run the ball and we would have give the ball to Mixon and Bernard a lot and Perrine when Mixon was injured.

Except if Marvin were still here we would've won more than 2 games LAST year and would've lost out on Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 10:38 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Except if Marvin were still here we would've won more than 2 games LAST year and would've lost out on Burrow.

No doubt. This staff can and may have already did damage to this team that takes years to correct.

The article that talked about some of the coaches not coaching on technique was particularly worrisome. And Zac as the HC oversees that all. He lets it happen or else he'd fire someone.
Reply/Quote