Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zach Ertz
If the Bengals wanted to really help Burrow out, now is the time to offer the Eagles a 2021 1st rounder for Ertz and sign him to an extension:

https://www.nfl.com/news/zach-ertz-howie-roseman-eagles-contract-heated-argument-after-practice

- - - - -

Uzomah/Sample sure as hell aren't the answer and a great TE can do a world of wonder for a young QB, doubly so a young QB with a dubious OL. Burrow having that kind of safety net could be huge.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
You can't offer a first round pick right now if you're the Bengals. They have a chance to be picking top 10 even top 5...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2020, 03:40 PM)Synric Wrote: You can't offer a first round pick right now if you're the Bengals. They have a chance to be picking top 10 even top 5...

Except what's the odds that the player is anywhere as good as Zach Ertz vs the odds that they turn into John Ross?

The only reason why it might be possible to get him (3 straight Pro Bowls) right now is he wants an extension, but the Eagle are looking at -$64.6m in cap space in 2021 based off the expected $175m cap (a $23m drop from this year).

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Meh, save the pick, and the money it's going to take to sign Ertz long term, and continue to invest in OL. The Bengals have plenty of talent at the skill positions, giving Burrow some security back there will allow him to use what he already has.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Really like Ertz, especially his wife. Ninja

But yeah, I save the pick and see what we have with Sample, still think this guy can be good and we have a very deep WR
core to help out Burrow along with Uzo who has looked good in Camp. Agree with Sunset, keep the pick, invest in the OL.
Reply/Quote
I am high on Sample after this weekend. I want to see his usage go way up, as a blocker he really is outstanding but I want to see him get more passes thrown his way and see how he handles it.
Reply/Quote
we need to draft the OT from Oregon if we get another top 5 pick- which is likely even if Joe has a great season.
Reply/Quote
No way in hell I trade a potential top 10 pick Ertz. I wouldn’t trade any first round pick, and probably not a second rounder either. I doubt Philadelphia gets a third for him. He’s been a good player, no doubt, but there are injury concerns there.

Plus if they are that far in cap hell and have Goedert ready to step up, teams will wait the eagles out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 12:32 PM)bengals67 Wrote: we need to draft the OT from Oregon if we get another top 5 pick- which is likely even if Joe has a great season.

For Penei Sewell? You better have a top 3 pick at the very least...and I doubt he gets past pick 2 unless someone desperately needs the second QB on the board behind Lawrence.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 12:30 PM)Au165 Wrote: I am high on Sample after this weekend. I want to see his usage go way up, as a blocker he really is outstanding but I want to see him get more passes thrown his way and see how he handles it.

Funny, I'm the exact opposite.

After the game I was left wondering how the hell can we justify using a 2nd round pick on a guy who just had 1 catch for 7 yards?  

I was really hoping he'd get off to a decent start and prove that last year was a lost year, and he'd show he can contribute in the pass game. Of course, that didn't happen.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 12:52 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Funny, I'm the exact opposite.

After the game I was left wondering how the hell can we justify using a 2nd round pick on a guy who just had 1 catch for 7 yards?  

I was really hoping he'd get off to a decent start and prove that last year was a lost year, and he'd show he can contribute in the pass game.  Of course, that didn't happen.

Because he was used mainly as a blocker and a damn good one at that. The thing that makes Kittle so good is that he is such a good blocker when he chips and releases off the block people are just happy to not be blocked they lose track of him in the routes. I am not saying Sample is in the same universe, I am saying though his excellent blocking should give him a lot of opportunities as he gets more snaps as the main TE.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 12:57 PM)Au165 Wrote: Because he was used mainly as a blocker and a damn good one at that. The thing that makes Kittle so good is that he is such a good blocker when he chips and releases off the block people are just happy to not be blocked they lose track of him in the routes. I am not saying Sample is in the same universe, I am saying though his excellent blocking should give him a lot of opportunities as he gets more snaps as the main TE.

The thing that makes George Kittle so good is that he's had 2,430 yards reveiving over the last two seasons.  An average of 1,215.

Is blocking important?  Sure.  Do you invest 2nd round picks on blocking tight ends?  No.

Until Sample can prove to be anything of value in the pass game then he's just an amazing, distaterous waste of a pick.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 01:11 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: The thing that makes George Kittle so good is that he's had 2,430 yards reveiving over the last two seasons.  An average of 1,215.

Is blocking important?  Sure.  Do you invest 2nd round picks on blocking tight ends?  No.

Until Sample can prove to be anything of value in the pass game then he's just an amazing, distaterous waste of a pick.

You can't attack Sample for not having more catches when he was used to block. They rarely asked him to run a route Sunday let alone catch balls. He was asked to block and he did that very well. 

Sample deserves more snaps in 11 personnel and a few targets. 

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 01:30 PM)Synric Wrote: You can't attack Sample for not having more catches when he was used to block. They rarely asked him to run a route Sunday let alone catch balls. He was asked to block and he did that very well. 

Sample deserves more snaps in 11 personnel and a few targets. 

I'm "attacking" the logic used to draft a tight end in the 2nd round to be a blocking tight end.

If that's because that's all he can do, or if it's just because they choosing to use him that way, it really doesn't matter to me.

You don't take a tight end in the 2nd round to block.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 01:11 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: The thing that makes George Kittle so good is that he's had 2,430 yards reveiving over the last two seasons.  An average of 1,215.

As the point stated, what allows Kittle to get so wide open? It's the scheme that uses his aggressive blocking as part of his release. Again, Sample isn't Kittle but his blocking prowess can allow the team to do some of the same things. The other thing here, and I can't stress this enough, is that opportunity is as much the issue as performance here. I want to see him get more targets to see if he can be a reliable pass catcher, it's not like he is dropping balls. Delanie Walker spent years in SF as essentially a glorified FB ( I know 2nd round blah blah, not what I am talking about here) until they finally let him go catch and figured out he could, I want to see Sample get his targets to see what exactly we have.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 01:39 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'm "attacking" the logic used to draft a tight end in the 2nd round to be a blocking tight end.

If that's because that's all he can do, or if it's just because they choosing to use him that way, it really doesn't matter to me.

You don't take a tight end in the 2nd round to block.

Just use him more in the passing game, that is all.

Once Kittle got used in the passing game, he took off, especially cause he is versatile.

Sample is not a bad pass catching TE, he just hasn't been used like it yet.

This logic makes no sense. You pick a guy like Sample with similar talents to Kittle for this very reason.

Kittle was a steal as a mid round pick...
Reply/Quote
How about Ross and a 3rd for Ertz?
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 10:50 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: How about Ross and a 3rd for Ertz?

With the way Ross is dropping balls, not against this at all. Probably won't be here next year anyways.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 10:50 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: How about Ross and a 3rd for Ertz?

Ross has zero value. A WR that can't catch/doesn't try.

We'd have to offer a 1st with Ross to get some team just to take him off our hands. I'm pretty sure when this year ends and he is no longer a Bengal, he will no longer have an NFL career. He might have a CFL future, but not in the NFL.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 02:19 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Ross has zero value. A WR that can't catch/doesn't try.

We'd have to offer a 1st with Ross to get some team just to take him off our hands. I'm pretty sure when this year ends and he is no longer a Bengal, he will no longer have an NFL career. He might have a CFL future, but not in the NFL.
Don't underestimate a coach's ego and their belief they can fix things. 
Reply/Quote