Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Zampese Year 2
Not a big fan of Zampese and I don't have a lot of faith he's going to improve the offense this season. He's in over his head and it will show again.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2017, 05:11 PM)Au165 Wrote: Boots and waggles don't require much athleticism at all, the Ravens have actually done it with Flacco for years especially when Oher was there. As for Beast Mode I think that is why there is some value in drafting a big back who can get 4 yards running straight ahead each carry. As to the defense, our defense will be better next year you could see signs of it as we got to the end of the year.

I agree with you, about the defense.  The defense seemed to gain momentum as the season wore on.  The likely emergence of Billings and Jackson, along with more Vigil, the defense should be once again, stout.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2017, 10:34 AM)Au165 Wrote: You can hide a lot of flaws on the offensive line with a good downhill running game and then bootlegs and waggles. You will have to move the launch point for Dalton which has the added bonus of being easier throws. I think the gloom and doom stuff is a little over rated. Our O line will be better next year than the one Seattle had on their Super Bowl runs. We need to use the above mentioned strategy along with a lot of smoke screens to slow down rushers. A lot of good teams get away with bad lines through scheming, heck our O line Dalton's rookie year was not good by any means.

Agreed, but you with our line you need to minimize the frequency of Ernie Zampese-Air Coryell 7 step drop back plays that killed us in 2016.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2017, 04:55 PM)snowy Wrote: I'm not expecting a total turnaround, but I'd be okay with real improvement. If the Bengals are going to make such a big deal about valuing versatility, then Zampese can use his versatile players, and use them creatively, instead of cramming them into tiny li'l boxes. A big problem last year was the Bengals' stubborn predictability on offense. 

I'm with you, I just have a feeling Zampese may very well be yet another untouchable chronic underperformer.  It's only been one year, but the red flags are there.  
Reply/Quote
Last year was his first go as OC. If The Bengals had finished in the bottom three I would have worried then. If there's no improvement this year then I will think he's not the right guy for the gig.
[img]http://[Image: power-rangers-dinozords-ranking-tigerzor...mhpcjr.jpg][/img]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2017, 09:25 PM)Bronze Bengal Wrote: Last year was his first go as OC.  If The Bengals had finished in the bottom three I would have worried then.  If there's no improvement this year then I will think he's not the right guy for the gig.

The issue is that him not being the right guy for the gig won't prevent him from being here for 10 years or so.  I realize the guy is our OC whether we like it or not, but it's pretty frustrating that a team with the 4th ranked offense that is trying to keep the window open would go with a rookie OC and hope for the best.

I realize more than just Hue to Zampese took place between 2015 and 2016, but it sure looks like our owner/GM gave one of his lapdogs a job he wasn't qualified to do and the entire team suffered because of it.  I'll give Zampese another year, but it seems pretty logical that he isn't a real NFL OC and a "maybe he'll be good eventually" OC isn't the type of OC a team that is actually trying to compete should appoint as OC.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 11:42 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I've seen a lot of discussion about Paul Alexander and the players themselves but I haven't seen much blame directed towards Ken Zampese for last years struggles.

Let's not forget that last year was his first year running the show.

Will he come back this season with a new and more "Zampesey" playbook, or copy Hue's old playbook with a few wrinkles here and there as he did last year?

It will be interesting to see where the offensive scheme goes from here.

All I know is that with this O-line Zampese is going to have to do a very good job of play calling and game planning if we are going to have any chance at 500.

If the defense can get more pressure and provide more turnovers that will help, but run, run, pass, punt by this offense will wear on everyone and make it a long and miserable year.

Reply/Quote
If the O-line blocks good then it will open up plays downfield.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2017, 09:34 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I realize more than just Hue to Zampese took place between 2015 and 2016, but it sure looks like our owner/GM gave one of his lapdogs a job he wasn't qualified to do and the entire team suffered because of it.  I'll give Zampese another year, but it seems pretty logical that he isn't a real NFL OC and a "maybe he'll be good eventually" OC isn't the type of OC a team that is actually trying to compete should appoint as OC.

Did you say the same thing about Hue after his first year as the Bengals OC?

I think you already disliked Zampese so you see his first year as OC as proof he is a "lapdog" who is "in over his head".  Yet Hue's first season was just about the same yet you thought it was morepromisisng just because you liked Hue.

Really not a lot of differeence between Hues first year as a Bengal OC and Zamp's.
Reply/Quote
I thought aside from pass protection the offense gradually looked a little better every week after the bye. I wanna give him one more chance.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2017, 02:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Did you say the same thing about Hue after his first year as the Bengals OC?

I think you already disliked Zampese so you see his first year as OC as proof he is a "lapdog" who is "in over his head".  Yet Hue's first season was just about the same yet you thought it was morepromisisng just because you liked Hue.

Really not a lot of differeence between Hues first year as a Bengal OC and Zamp's.

I defended Hue's first year as an OC because he had a resume with HC experience and he managed to get a top 10 offense out of Jason Campbell, off-the-couch Carson Palmer, that backup RB who replaced an injured Darren McFadden, and a WR corps of nobodies, not because I liked him.

Hue had a resume that said he was a terrible GM, but could run an effective offense and get a good bit of production out of a bunch of guys who weren't exactly top-tier talent.

My feelings of Hue and Zampese are irrelevant.  Again, I hope Zampese does gangbusters here, but I'm not sure what is supposed to lead me to draw the conclusion that he will.  His success last year?  No.  His success in the past?  No.  So what it is that is supposed to make me feel stupid for doubting the guy?

Experience and past performances matter to me when I'm making a predictive judgment call.  My entire job is based upon analyzing peoples' past behaviors and history and using that as a means to extrapolate future behaviors and performances.  Maybe football is the time when I should just throw away the analytics and decide that every year is a new fresh start and to hell with the past!
Reply/Quote
I have to think he will get better & he definitely has room to improve. With the way the line collapsed last year I'm not sure we could accurately judge his abilities. A;though he has to bear some responsibility in leaving Cedric out there so long. Between his awful play & Nugent's collapse we didn't stand a chance.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2017, 02:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Did you say the same thing about Hue after his first year as the Bengals OC?

It i so hard to give a guy a fair evaluation after one year as an OC. Look back in time and many would have said Bill Belichick was the worst head coach of all time after his time with the Browns. Same for Pete Carroll after his early years as a head coach and DC prior to Seahawks hire.

I did not see offensive scheme issues as an issue a year ago, I saw bad OL execution, I saw new receivers replacing experienced, I saw AJ Green and Bernard get hurt and not play and I saw a kicker killing us and putting us in dire straights with missed kicks. I saw Eifert hurt a lot of the year. The OC can't control bad injuries nor can any coach. There is a reason one guy makes 16 million like Green and a guy like LaFell makes 2.5 million.

I am not ready to throw our OC under the bus for a year we knew would be challenging due to the losses of Jones and Sanu.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I say give him one more year to see what he can do with the offense. Alexander should be on the cutting block as well if the o-line doesnt shape up this season.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2017, 10:19 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Experience and past performances matter to me when I'm making a predictive judgment call.  My entire job is based upon analyzing peoples' past behaviors and history and using that as a means to extrapolate future behaviors and performances.  Maybe football is the time when I should just throw away the analytics and decide that every year is a new fresh start and to hell with the past!

Zampese was succesful as our QB coach (Comback Player of the Year with Kitna, Five Pro Bowl years with Palmer and Dalton), and he has tons of experience working with the best minds in the game (Marty Mornhinweg, Sean Peyton, Mike McCarthy, Mike Martz, and Al Saunders).
Reply/Quote
For all of the horrible season that was last year, if you look at total points put up by the Bengals vs. their combined opponents, the Bengals outscored them 325 to 315 and look at some of the opponents that are considered powerful offenses... That is in Zampese's first year, without Eifert and Green much of the time, with Gio and 2 yd. Jeremy hurt, with Boline playing with a separated shoulder, and the horror show that is Oggie playing RT. I think Zampese is going to be fine, in fact, I expect big things for his career.....
Reply/Quote