Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zampese exonerated?
The best thing that happened to Lazor was Zampese.

Anyone can look appealing next to a turd.
Reply/Quote
Is Lazor the next Don Coryell?  No, emphatically.  That said, Zampese couldn't even hold Bratkowski's headset.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 05:55 AM)kevin Wrote: No, Zampese doesn't get credit because the team he coached through all the training camps still stinks.  If anything some credit to Lasor because you can't throw a whole new play book at them once you are in regular season. 
This is the thing no one seems to understand. Lazor isn't running his offense; he's running Zampese's. Maybe during the bye, he installed some of his own plays, but basically this is Zampese's offense (which is probably some bastardized version of Hue's) with Zampese's terminology with Merv's philosophy (play really well 'til you build a lead then punt on 1st down and absolutely DO NOT MAKE HALFTIME ADJUSTMENTS) but with Lazor calling the play.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 11:49 AM)PhilHos Wrote: This is the thing no one seems to understand. Lazor isn't running his offense; he's running Zampese's. Maybe during the bye, he installed some of his own plays, but basically this is Zampese's offense (which is probably some bastardized version of Hue's) with Zampese's terminology with Merv's philosophy (play really well 'til you build a lead then punt on 1st down and absolutely DO NOT MAKE HALFTIME ADJUSTMENTS) but with Lazor calling the play.

......I really don't see what's so hard to grasp about this.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 12:55 PM)Wyche Wrote: ......I really don't see what's so hard to grasp about this.

I know, right?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 10:01 PM)Utts Wrote: So here we are last in the NFL in offense, after firing Zampese way back in September. I think the offensive scheme here needs a lot of work regardless, but it would seem Zampese was just a scapegoat.

Ultimately I think we had a personnel problem first, and a coordinator problem second.

Of course there were personnel problems but Zampese refused to change and call plays that would help mask our blocking problems. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 11:15 AM)Wyche Wrote: Is Lazor the next Don Coryell?  No, emphatically.  That said, Zampese couldn't even hold Bratkowski's headset.

Hitting below the belt now. lol

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 10:01 PM)Utts Wrote: So here we are last in the NFL in offense, after firing Zampese way back in September. I think the offensive scheme here needs a lot of work regardless, but it would seem Zampese was just a scapegoat.

Ultimately I think we had a personnel problem first, and a coordinator problem second.

Zampese was definitely part of the problem....

Lazor was better but only during the first halfs
Reply/Quote
As of right now the offense is last in yards. Near last in points. Last in 3rd down conversions, both % and total number wise. And last in total 1st downs.

Basically it is the worst offense in the league, even worst than the Browns offense in those categories other than scoring. Browns are the worst scoring team, so at least they arent that bad, but arent far off either.

So I think the OP has some merit to it to be honest. This offense is hot garbage right now. But it was a tad bit hotter when Zampese had it because Eifert was still intact then and they couldnt do anything.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 10:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Lol, no redemption for Zampese, he sucked.  Really.  Mellow

When Lazor took over, things took an uptick, in a serious way.  Not his fault that he had no OL to work with, and players steadily got injured.

(12-19-2017, 10:38 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yup. Lazor isn't going to make anyone terribly jealous, but he did an okay job for coming in after the season started and having no OL/no non-AJ WRs.

Zampese was just really really bad. Not just how the start of '17 was historically bad, but even in 16 they were pretty awful, despite having Whit and Zeitler. They were also terrible in the redzone, and in scoring in general. The Bengals were the 24th scoring offense in 2016.

Judging the offense off the last 2 games feels awfully silly, considering the entire team has quit now. That's not a Zampese/Lazor thing, that's a Marvin thing.

These posts nailed my thoughts.

(12-20-2017, 06:03 AM)Utts Wrote: Does anyone here want Lazor back next year?

Not particularly, no. He did an admirable job with this shit show o-line, but I just want to start from scratch. If someone like Jay Gruden is hired, I want him to be able to pick his own offensive staff at the very least.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 05:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not particularly, no. He did an admirable job with this shit show o-line, but I just want to start from scratch. If someone like Jay Gruden is hired, I want him to be able to pick his own offensive staff at the very least.

"You can pick anyone you want, so long as it's Paul Alexander."  - Mike Brown, trying to make a "pop culture" reference (probably)

[Image: quote-you-can-have-any-color-you-want-as...-24-01.jpg]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Not really sold on Lazor.

In Lazor's first 3 games as OC, the offense averaged 346 per game.

Over the last 9 games, they've been held to 276 or less yards 7 times, less than 200 yards 4 times and less than 165 yards passing 5 times. 

Those numbers are pretty brutal.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 05:12 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: "You can pick anyone you want, so long as it's Paul Alexander."  - Mike Brown, trying to make a "pop culture" reference (probably)

[Image: quote-you-can-have-any-color-you-want-as...-24-01.jpg]

"You can fire any coach you want, as long as it's Paul Alexander." 

[Image: ff-1-brew.gif]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I guess we are forgetting that we are still running on Zampese's plays. We just have someone else calling them. You can see a tiny bit of Lazor's influence in the plays (he loves the zone option plays) outside of that, it looks pretty similar to Zampese's stuff.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 05:17 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: In Lazor's first 3 games as OC, the offense averaged 346 per game.

Over the last 9 games, they've been held to 276 or less yards 7 times, less than 200 yards 4 times and less than 165 yards passing 5 times. 

This is something Tony Romo himself pointed out when he did our game.

The scheme we are running has never changed, just the play calling and tempo of those plays. He even stated, give it a few games, and teams will catch on.

I'd give Lazor an off season to install HIS offense before we blame him.

That being said, he won't get the chance with the new staff coming in.

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 05:17 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Not really sold on Lazor.

In his first 3 games as OC, the offense averaged 346 per game. But...in the last 9 games, they've been held to 276 or less yards 7 times, less than 200 yards 4 times and less than 165 yards passing 5 times. 

I've been judging him on points, rather than yards. The yards are hard to come by with this line. Can't run, struggling to pass. It took some serious creativity to even get points on the board, and Lazor managed to get 20+ on the board in 8 of his first 10 games. I refuse to look at these last 2 games because the team quit...and that's more of a Marvin thing (players realize he's out).

I'm not sold either, but only because it's been too much of a mess this season to judge much of anything outside of Marvin and this o-line. I don't really want Lazor back, but it's no fault of his own. I just want the next coach to fill out his staff with his guys. For all I know, Lazor is a solid coach. 
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 05:30 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I've been judging him on points, rather than yards. The yards are hard to come by with this line. Can't run, struggling to pass. It took some serious creativity to even get points on the board, and Lazor managed to get 20+ on the board in 8 of his first 10 games. I refuse to look at these last 2 games because the team quit...and that's more of a Marvin thing (players realize he's out).

I'm not sold either, but only because it's been too much of a mess this season to judge much of anything outside of Marvin and this o-line. I don't really want Lazor back, but it's no fault of his own. I just want the next coach to fill out his staff with his guys. For all I know, Lazor is a solid coach. 

Agreed on the above.

Team pretty much quit all around, outside of some player performances, watching these games since the Steelers loss are just for the matter of fact. I watched the Steelers/Patriots game and was far more entertaining. Shame, I hate both teams and was hoping Bane would blow the field up...but watching two teams full of players ACTUALLY trying is so nice.

Reply/Quote
Zampeze couldn't even figure out running out of a shotgun, when you have protection issues, is a good thing... the guy was a literal text book definition of clueless.
Reply/Quote