Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zeitler Released! Bengals Interested!
(03-12-2021, 02:22 PM)Sled21 Wrote: You realize we can probably get Zeitler AND another lineman for what Thuney will cost, right? Given Thuney may go down for the season in training camp (in typical Bengals curse fashion) getting 2 for 1 might be the smart move.

Yes, that is why the Zeit signing would be a good one. We can afford another signing or two for the OL...

We get Thuney and it might be all we get as we also need D-Line help and this Draft isn't deep with pass rushing Ends.
Reply/Quote
Yeah, and as much as I want Thuney, if we sign him and no one else, and he gets hurt, we have nothing.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 03:28 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, and as much as I want Thuney, if we sign him and no one else, and he gets hurt, we have nothing.

Very true.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 02:22 PM)Sled21 Wrote: You realize we can probably get Zeitler AND another lineman for what Thuney will cost, right? Given Thuney may go down for the season in training camp (in typical Bengals curse fashion) getting 2 for 1 might be the smart move.

If the Bengals are attempting to break the stereotype of not being significant players in free agency, as well as demonstrating their commitment to protecting Joe Burrow, people need to dispel with the notion of always going cheaper.  If the ownership says they're going to do what it takes to protect Joe, then they need to start looking at best players available, and be willing to sign them for what they are worth.

1 truly good player is significantly more impactful than two bargain players.  People also need to not worry about "if we spend all this money on player "T", as they will likely get hurt in training camp, just like players "X,Y, and Z" did.."  Every player must be judged on an individual basis, and in Thuney's case, I see no real injury history to be overly concerned about.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 03:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If the Bengals are attempting to break the stereotype of not being significant players in free agency, as well as demonstrating their commitment to protecting Joe Burrow, people need to dispel with the notion of always going cheaper.  If the ownership says they're going to do what it takes to protect Joe, then they need to start looking at best players available, and be willing to sign them for what they are worth.

1 truly good player is significantly more impactful than two bargain players.  People also need to not worry about "if we spend all this money on player "T", as they will likely get hurt in training camp, just like players "X,Y, and Z" did.."  Every player must be judged on an individual basis, and in Thuney's case, I see no real injury history to be overly concerned about.

To me Joe Thuney is a way overrated free agent. 

When you look at guards the first thing you should ask is how is his run blocking and Thuney is average. Joe Thuney is a great pass blocker but on the interior of the line you want run blockers.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 03:53 PM)Synric Wrote: To me Joe Thuney is a way overrated free agent. 

When you look at guards the first thing you should ask is how is his run blocking and Thuney is average. Joe Thuney is a great pass blocker but on the interior of the line you want run blockers.

from a NFL team scout, coaches etc.. your opinion is in the minority.. Thuney is considered an above average guard... and we also know timely is always important when it comes to signing players... quality Oline seem to be harder and harder to find... which increases the value of Thuney and price 
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 03:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If the Bengals are attempting to break the stereotype of not being significant players in free agency, as well as demonstrating their commitment to protecting Joe Burrow, people need to dispel with the notion of always going cheaper.  If the ownership says they're going to do what it takes to protect Joe, then they need to start looking at best players available, and be willing to sign them for what they are worth.

This^.  Fans will pass a brick if the Bengals make all these claims about protecting Burrow and then pick up a couple of guys on the cheap (who are just as likely as Thuney or a draft pick to get injured).  Since the team has made comments about players they have progressing, I'm not holding my breath that they're going to be super aggressive in OL FA, but I wouldn't be mad at all with the move.  Even if he got injured, at least they made an attempt to improve by a wider margin.  
Reply/Quote

I understand all that. I also understand they spent huge money to bring in DJ Reader and Trae Waynes last year, and neither made it through the season. When you have depth at a position, you can do that. When the cupboard is bare, like our Oline basically is, you need as many bodies as possible, unless you want one injury to occur to our big new shiny toy and next thing you know we're back to trotting Jordan out there. One guy can only fill one position, no matter how good he is. And if he's hurt, he fills nothing. And lack of injury history means nothing like a history of injury, because anything can happen on any play.
Reply/Quote

Well I agree if said player is worth paying mega bucks but Thuney like Synric said is a bit overrated. We can get Zeit who 
is a great pass blocker for much cheaper and another Guard while still having money for the DL and for a Corner.

A Free Agency of Feiler, Zeit, Rankins, Wolfe, Roby would be better to me than say Thuney and Wolfe.

(03-12-2021, 03:53 PM)Synric Wrote: To me Joe Thuney is a way overrated free agent. 

Agree, I know that Zeit fits the same mold as Thuney as he is not a good run blocker but still, he is cheaper.
Reply/Quote

NFL.com has Thuney rated as the 9th best free agent, and top Guard in this year's free agent class.  What am I missing by trusting nfl.com's ratings?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 04:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well I agree if said player is worth paying mega bucks but Thuney like Synric said is a bit overrated. We can get Zeit who 
is a great pass blocker for much cheaper and another Guard while still having money for the DL and for a Corner.

A Free Agency of Feiler, Zeit, Rankins, Wolfe, Roby would be better to me than say Thuney and Wolfe.

Agree, I know that Zeit fits the same mold as Thuney as he is not a good run blocker but still, he is cheaper.

Would zietler or thuney come in to play left guard or right guard?
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 07:06 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Would zietler or thuney come in to play left guard or right guard?

Yes

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 07:06 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Would zietler or thuney come in to play left guard or right guard?

Thuney can play either well which is why he is more spendy. Zeit is more of a RG though.

It is a good question cause if we got Feiler he is more of a right side of the Line Lineman himself.

Still would leave LG a question if we don't bring back Spain, we might have to use a Draft pick on Guard. 

Trade back and get Vera-Tucker in the first, or get Meinerz or Carman in the 2nd round are other options. 

But either way, I think we need to bring back Spain.
Reply/Quote

17, 14, 14, 17. That's what he was rated as run blocker the last 4 years. 

10, 5, 12, 13 overall. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Zeitler or Gabe Jackson
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2021, 11:57 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: 17, 14, 14, 17. That's what he was rated as run blocker the last 4 years. 

10, 5, 12, 13 overall. 

So, he ranked in the top 1/4 of all qualifying Guards in run blocking?  That's a pretty stark break from the common perception that Thuney is a great pass protector, but only a mediocre run blocker.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 10:22 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, he ranked in the top 1/4 of all qualifying Guards in run blocking?  That's a pretty stark break from the common perception that Thuney is a great pass protector, but only a mediocre run blocker.

I agree and I am not sure why anyone would think a great pass protector(s) in the interior of an OL is not needed for a QB to have a clean pocket so they can step into throws. It is huge!
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 10:22 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, he ranked in the top 1/4 of all qualifying Guards in run blocking?  That's a pretty stark break from the common perception that Thuney is a great pass protector, but only a mediocre run blocker.

Well I don't put much stock in PFF but those ratings are pretty good and consistent.

Makes me think Thuney is a better than average run blocker.

I just want to be able to sign more players, not just Thuney.

Thinking he will command too much to allow us to do this unlike Zeit.

(03-14-2021, 12:44 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree and I am not sure why anyone would think a great pass protector(s) in the interior of an OL is not needed for a QB to have a clean pocket so they can step into throws. It is huge!

Of course it is huge. Thuney is what we need, but at the right price where we can also afford to get pass rushers and a 
Corner to replace WJ3. I just think it is more likely we can fill all these holes with Zeit who is a great pass protector in his
own right.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 05:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well I don't put much stock in PFF but those ratings are pretty good and consistent.

Makes me think Thuney is a better than average run blocker.

I just want to be able to sign more players, not just Thuney.

Thinking he will command too much to allow us to do this unlike Zeit.

Of course it is huge. Thuney is what we need, but at the right price where we can also afford to get pass rushers and a 
Corner to replace WJ3. I just think it is more likely we can fill all these holes with Zeit who is a great pass protector in his
own right.

I don't think corner is that big of a need... Even if we lose Jackson (which we will). Phillips has shown himself capable. Bring back Alexander, and let's see what Waynes has. Trey is already overpaid, and it doesn't make sense to try and sign another to me. Draft one if we need one.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Signs with the Ravens 3 years 22 Million with 16 guaranteed.
Reply/Quote