Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zero sacks for D-Line - Difference in game
(10-14-2018, 07:39 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: The lack of holding penalties happens all of the time when we play Pittsburgh. That's nothing new. We tend to get more pressure than this and even a sack or two. Today, there was none of that. There were a couple of hits on Ben. Not many at all, but there were a couple. I specifically remember 2 players taking him down and I think it was in the 1st quarter. Yes, there were holds that should've been called, but Geno and Dunlap have fought through that before to still get some pressure and make a couple of plays.

No his stat line was 0 sacks, 0 hurries, 0 knockdowns.
Reply/Quote
At this point I have zero faith in our defense to ever stop anyone. Even Forrest Gump if a DC would have taken one look at the mass protect and instantly ditched the zones and played tight man coverage on JuJu and Brown and put a safety man to man on the TE. That removes the quick pass attack and forces their line to hold blocks longer.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Still amazed that they didn't get to fat ben. He had all day to throw while Dalton had somebody in his face every time he dropped back. Better get it fixed cause defense got them beat today.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2018, 07:45 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: No his stat line was 0 sacks, 0 hurries, 0 knockdowns.

That can't be true. He was on his (oversized) @$$ a number of times. Just not actually sacked.
GO STRIPES!!!
Reply/Quote
They played the flats, quick passes, and check downs. Our obvious weakness from the start of the season. We got out coached plain and simple.
Reply/Quote
3rd and 3 and wide open tight ends in the flats is just inexcusable. Horrible defensive playcalling/coaching.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2018, 06:11 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Every time the Steelers OL holds like crazy all game.

Every game the refs ignore it.

Then after every game there's some people on the message board after the game railing on the DL as if this isn't and hasn't been a thing for quite a long time now.

- - - - - - - - -
It amazes me that there somehow still seems to be Bengals fans who haven't gotten the message and keep blaming the DL.

It amazes me that there somehow still seems to be Bengals fans who keep blaming the refs.  Make a play and you don't have to worry about the refs.  Catch the ball, make the interception, make a tackle for crying out loud.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2018, 05:57 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: As is normal with this match up with the Steelers this game came down to both lines.  Our offensive line was ***** slapped by Pitts D-line and our D-line was abused by Pitts O-line, period.

It's a simple game.  Pitt gets this, we don't.  If Dalton had the kind of time Big Ben had we could have scored many more points.  Regardless, our D-line got which is supposed to be a strength was terribly ineffective.

It's very tiresome to watch this year in and year out against Pittsburgh.  Good grief, Tomlin keeps his job just based on his record against Marvin.  Very sad.

Kudo's to Dalton for hanging in there with an organization that consistently fails to see its weaknesses.  Unlike Carson Palmer, Dalton is too nice of a guy to complain.  He shouldn't be, he is an elite talent strapped behind a line of garbage.

Marvin lewis sucks,he needs to go like 10 years ago.cannot beat the stoolers and they will win the division again.The stoolers own this afc north and always will.I so hate to get beat by them and to lose at your house so sucks.Austin and marvin so suck.all fans need to hammer players and coaches all week.Losing to the stoolers is totally unacceptable and Marvin needs to go.He so sucks, he is awlful and the nfl is so laughing at cincy,no respect and its earned believe that.the stoolers will win the division again and the bungles are going NO WHERE. 9 and 7 or maybe 8 and 8.I hope for 8 and 8 so marvin will get fired, we will NEVER have a winning super bowl team with mike brown and marvin here.Never going to happen.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2018, 06:11 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Max protect,  lack of Nickle personal (Lawson needs more time), short quick passes, and screens galore. The Steelers did an excellent job slowing down our pass rush by game plan.

The Steelers were playing chess and old Marv and T Austin were playing checkers. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Long ago when we had far less talented d-linemen rotating in, they had a lot more luck pressuring Roethlisberger. Geno and Carlos were young, Geathers was old, and guys like Rucker and Fanene were rotating in.

I recall Zimmer saying that he liked to utilize a "mush rush" against Ben rather than all out conventional pursuit from the d-line. In this concept, the d-line pushed, but also held their positions around the pocket. This made it a lot harder for Ben to scramble away untouched right after one of our d-linemen got an "almost sack". Eventually, if it worked, the pocket closed around the quarterback and he had fewer options when it came to scrambling. We beat them twice in 2009 using this technique.

Ben is fatter, older, and slower than ever. That said, he's still a master of the sidestep and thrives when scrambling. He did it to us all day Sunday. One move outside and he's free and clear for 3 seconds, scanning the field and taking his time. Meanwhile our d-line is caught in a scrum of bodies well out of reach or cause for concern. If you over pursue him and fail, you're done. This team should know this by now.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2018, 05:57 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: As is normal with this match up with the Steelers this game came down to both lines.  Our offensive line was ***** slapped by Pitts D-line and our D-line was abused by Pitts O-line, period.

It's a simple game.  Pitt gets this, we don't.  If Dalton had the kind of time Big Ben had we could have scored many more points.  Regardless, our D-line got which is supposed to be a strength was terribly ineffective.

It's very tiresome to watch this year in and year out against Pittsburgh.  Good grief, Tomlin keeps his job just based on his record against Marvin.  Very sad.

Kudo's to Dalton for hanging in there with an organization that consistently fails to see its weaknesses.  Unlike Carson Palmer, Dalton is too nice of a guy to complain.  He shouldn't be, he is an elite talent strapped behind a line of garbage.

This is an 8 and 8 team,a 500 club.the reason is this,the O-line is average Hart should have never been brought here.,Poor drafting,leaving pro bowl players for other teams to draft.Stinkin coaching,and Dalton is not accurate enough the whole game.This defense is poorly coaching and stinkin marvin plays way too conservative and keeps telling his players not to get flagged,which makes them hesitate to do any damn thing.Kicking the ball away on 4th and 1 with hubbard blocking and mixon running,I mean com-on.After they get hammered by the chiefs and they will be an embarrassment once again to the nati,the new players will start to see how goofy marvin and his pirates on the sinking boat really are.Hey dumbass Autin,you are 6 games in plus training camp and YOU SUCK,GET OUT OF HERE.YOU ARE NOT AGGRESSIVE AND JUST LIKE OLD MARVIN, you let better players stand on the sidelines,like number 40 and Phillips both should be starting.Ross should have never been drafted,Yes he is fast ,but way to fragile,and he will be hurt off and on all season. Sad Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry stupid idiots.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 04:28 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: This is an 8 and 8 team,a 500 club.the reason is this,the O-line is average Hart should have never been brought here.,Poor drafting,leaving pro bowl players for other teams to draft.Stinkin coaching,and Dalton is not accurate enough the whole game.This defense is poorly coaching and stinkin marvin plays way too conservative and keeps telling his players not to get flagged,which makes them hesitate to do any damn thing.Kicking the ball away on 4th and 1 with hubbard blocking and mixon running,I mean com-on.After they get hammered by the chiefs and they will be an embarrassment once again to the nati,the new players will start to see how goofy marvin and his pirates on the sinking boat really are.Hey dumbass Autin,you are 6 games in plus training camp and YOU SUCK,GET OUT OF HERE.YOU ARE NOT AGGRESSIVE AND JUST LIKE OLD MARVIN, you let better players stand on the sidelines,like number 40 and Phillips both should be starting.Ross should have never been drafted,Yes he is fast ,but way to fragile,and he will be hurt off and on all season. Sad Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry stupid idiots.

I'm picturing a crazy guy downtown standing on a box, screaming nonsense over and over all day long.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 04:28 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: This is an 8 and 8 team,a 500 club.the reason is this,the O-line is average Hart should have never been brought here.,Poor drafting,leaving pro bowl players for other teams to draft.Stinkin coaching,and Dalton is not accurate enough the whole game.This defense is poorly coaching and stinkin marvin plays way too conservative and keeps telling his players not to get flagged,which makes them hesitate to do any damn thing.Kicking the ball away on 4th and 1 with hubbard blocking and mixon running,I mean com-on.After they get hammered by the chiefs and they will be an embarrassment once again to the nati,the new players will start to see how goofy marvin and his pirates on the sinking boat really are.Hey dumbass Autin,you are 6 games in plus training camp and YOU SUCK,GET OUT OF HERE.YOU ARE NOT AGGRESSIVE AND JUST LIKE OLD MARVIN, you let better players stand on the sidelines,like number 40 and Phillips both should be starting.Ross should have never been drafted,Yes he is fast ,but way to fragile,and he will be hurt off and on all season. Sad Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry stupid idiots.

Have a beer, smoke a joint, get a massage, have some sex, or partake in all of them friend. 

You are way too uptight and angry.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/10/17/17986290/bengals-weekly-lineman-analyzing-why-the-bengals-pass-rush-couldnt-take-down-big-ben
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2018, 10:51 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/10/17/17986290/bengals-weekly-lineman-analyzing-why-the-bengals-pass-rush-couldnt-take-down-big-ben

No doubt there were breakdowns in coverage throughout the day, so there is plenty of video to cherry pick.  A similar and far worse assessment could be derived from plays from the D-line.

I think you picked 5 or 6 plays for your assessment, and it was a great assessment btw!  But remember, Ben threw the ball 46 times and on many of these plays he literally sat in the pocket untouched, and worse, not hurried.

Definitely a total team effort in regards to poor pass defense.  But the D-Line is supposed to be the strength of this defense.  Continually rushing 4 and dropping into zone coverage is not very effective unless you can get pressure, which we they didn't for the most part.  Heck, in hindsight, seeing some of the poor decisions Burfict made in coverage he'd have been better acting as a 5th rusher.
Reply/Quote