Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Zimmer quote about Bengals' playcalling
I was reading the post game Athletic articles for the Bengals this morning and decided to give the Vikings' articles a read as well. Get a little perspective from the other side etc etc.

This quote from Mike Zimmer struck me as very interesting.

Quote:On Monday, Zimmer took the blame for poor play calls more than I’ve heard him do before. He said he had studied tendencies for the Bengals and noticed they almost always passed the ball on second down after a run play. So in those situations, he called for defenses that would be better against the pass, which helps explain why the Vikings’ run defense struggled at times.

“They did change a lot,” Zimmer said. “Those are the things you try to study and go on tendencies and figure out what’s going on. Then, in the course of games, you try to adjust.”

https://theathletic.com/2824369/2021/09/14/vikings-week-1-observations-the-positives-negatives-and-remaining-questions/

So, during the game and during the gameday chat, I saw a lot of people (myself included) asking why we ran so much on 2nd down. The ol' run run pass punt strategy felt real at times and I wondered if that was due to protecting Burrow or just being overly conservative.

Given this quote, maybe Zac called the game that way explicitly to dispel this tendency and/or use his past tendencies as an advantage rather than a weakness.

I know when I play Madden and I'm coming up against one of my friends I've played a lot, it's hard not to notice a person's favorite plays in different scenarios.

I wonder how consciously Zac went about calling his plays for the same reason, expecting Zim to know what tendencies he had in his first two years calling plays.

That's all, just an interesting quote and observation from our former DC and, potentially, evidence that Zac is growing as a playcaller :).
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 11:16 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I was reading the post game Athletic articles for the Bengals this morning and decided to give the Vikings' articles a read as well. Get a little perspective from the other side etc etc.

This quote from Mike Zimmer struck me as very interesting.

https://theathletic.com/2824369/2021/09/14/vikings-week-1-observations-the-positives-negatives-and-remaining-questions/

So, during the game and during the gameday chat, I saw a lot of people (myself included) asking why we ran so much on 2nd down. The ol' run run pass punt strategy felt real at times and I wondered if that was due to protecting Burrow or just being overly conservative.

Given this quote, maybe Zac called the game that way explicitly to dispel this tendency and/or use his past tendencies as an advantage rather than a weakness.

I know when I play Madden and I'm coming up against one of my friends I've played a lot, it's hard not to notice a person's favorite plays in different scenarios.

I wonder how consciously Zac went about calling his plays for the same reason, expecting Zim to know what tendencies he had in his first two years calling plays.

That's all, just an interesting quote and observation from our former DC and, potentially, evidence that Zac is growing as a playcaller :).

I'm as hopeful as anyone that Zac can become a good-to-great HC and/or playcaller, but honestly, his strategy was probably more about protecting Burrow than anything else.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 11:35 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I'm as hopeful as anyone that Zac can become a good-to-great HC and/or playcaller, but honestly, his strategy was probably more about protecting Burrow than anything else.

I don't think that's it. They said coming into the season that they were going to lean on Joe Mixon. A lot. I think that's more to do with it than anything else. You also have to remember that bringing in Pollack just didn't give them a new oline coach, but also a run game coordinator. Now, maybe it had a little to do with protecting Burrow (I will agree that was probably the case after he came off limping), but I I think they legit want to run the ball .....and that will open up the passing game too.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't think Zac is that smart.

They changed once Burrow got knocked around and was limping. They went more conservative and ran the ball more to protect him. It's as simple as that.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 12:20 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I don't think Zac is that smart.

They changed once Burrow got knocked around and was limping. They went more conservative and ran the ball more to protect him. It's as simple as that.

But they were running the entire game. Protecting Burrow was most likely part of it after he got dinged late in the game, but there was also a good stretch of the 2nd half where both Higgins and Chase were out with dehydration issues.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Zac knew and admitting during the offseason he needed to stick with the run more. Many fans on here complained all last season about that and then when he sticks with the run game which was actually effective last week people complain.

His play calling was a conscious effort to run the ball more and be more balanced. He probably wanted to protect Burrow too, but not just because of the hit and limp, I’m sure he planned all along to try to ease Burrow back in slowly early this season AND run the ball more anyway because he knows the team needs balance. There were many times last year where we had to throw it all over the place whether fans want to admit it or not.

The blind Zac hatred on this board gets incredibly ridiculous sometimes. People can’t even admit that he wanted to run the ball more and actually did it. Have to call him an idiot for doing what they’ve been complaining about him not doing for years.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 12:36 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Zac knew and admitting during the offseason he needed to stick with the run more. Many fans on here complained all last season about that and then when he sticks with the run game which was actually effective last week people complain.

His play calling was a conscious effort to run the ball more and be more balanced. He probably wanted to protect Burrow too, but not just because of the hit and limp, I’m sure he planned all along to try to ease Burrow back in slowly early this season AND run the ball more anyway because he knows the team needs balance. There were many times last year where we had to throw it all over the place whether fans want to admit it or not.

The blind Zac hatred on this board gets incredibly ridiculous sometimes. People can’t even admit that he wanted to run the ball more and actually did it. Have to call him an idiot for doing what they’ve been complaining about him not doing for years.
I'll stick to calling him an idiot for the 4th down decision on our own 30. It was nice to see the run game work kinda decent. 
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 12:45 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: I'll stick to calling him an idiot for the 4th down decision on our own 30. It was nice to see the run game work kinda decent. 

Every coach would be considered an idiot if we got to choose their worst play all of the game and only focus on that. 

That said, it was an idiot call, and Zac hasn't done much to give himself a ton of grace. 
Reply/Quote
The 'ol "intentionally suck for 2 years so you can catch a team off guard for a Week 1 W in year 3" rope-a-dope. A classic. Works every time.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I like the fact they were more balanced and ran the ball more. I just felt like they didn't attack the defense enough at times. I saw a lot of throws to the line of scrimmage early, when it would have been nice to attack intermediate routes (as we've been highly successful with those passes). They did this more on the drives they scored TDs, and they just got so much momentum going from doing so. It keeps the defense on their heals a bit.

This offense can be very good. I'd like to see a more balanced attack where instead of everything going to the line of scrimmage, it's more balanced of run, intermediate pass, deep shot, line of scrimmage pass. 50% run, 50% pass overall is a good thing.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 12:52 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The 'ol "intentionally suck for 2 years so you can catch a team off guard for a Week 1 W in year 3" rope-a-dope. A classic. Works every time.

the long slow game...      
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 12:20 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I don't think Zac is that smart.

Now that you mention it, between the Cook fumble and an injured Burrow making the drive for the winning FG we actually looked like we were on the winning side of the 2015 playoff meltdown. 

180, dude. Well other than it not being against the Steelers. 
Reply/Quote
I thought it great to see more under center
Snaps with JB. Im.Sure that caught Summer off
Guard too.
Plus I think maybe I.saw one empty
Backfield formation the whole game.?
I would to see more of the TEs involved
In the passing game with some wheel
Or curl routes or even a TE screen
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 12:36 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Zac knew and admitting during the offseason he needed to stick with the run more. Many fans on here complained all last season about that and then when he sticks with the run game which was actually effective last week people complain.

The guy has won like 5 games in two years. I don't hate him, but he's a terrible coach. He literally almost single handedly cost the team the game yesterday. The team has to win despite him instead of him helping them win in any kind of way. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote

who called zach an idiot for calling more run plays this game? 
Reply/Quote
It was very obvious the first couple drives before the Vikings scored the Bengals were trying to ease Burrow back into action. I half way expected a quote by Zac pre-game that he was treating the 1st quarter like pre-season for Joe.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
I'd like to air on the side of cautiously optimistic. The play calling was much more intelligent in this game. 27 pass attempts is a great start, not over doing it and mixed in a few deep shots. Looked like an actual functional NFL offense out there using Mixon and play action and not being predictable.

However, it is one game out of 2 years of really bad displays. It is possible that this is Taylor turning the corner and things are going to be better and I want to believe that, but I want to see him call a good game for a few more weeks before I'm ready to jump on the Taylor now gets it side.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Bengals used to pass more out of necessity per O-line stinking so badly.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 02:44 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: who called zach an idiot for calling more run plays this game? 

Plenty of people complaining about running on 1st and 2nd down
Reply/Quote
It was a good start to the season for Zac. If he can keep it going, he can start reversing his reputation. Saying any more or less than that is probably going too far.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote