Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
and then there were 15...
Scott Walker has decided to drop out of the 2016 GOP primary.

Quote:Short of support and cash, Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin, saying he had been “called to lead by helping to clear the field,” announced Monday that he was suspending his bid for the Republican presidential nomination.

In a brief news conference in Madison, Mr. Walker referred sharply to Donald J. Trump’s influence on the primary contest, saying he hoped his exit would make it possible for “a positive conservative message” to take hold in the crowded race.

“I encourage other Republican presidential candidates to consider doing the same, so that the voters can focus on a limited number of candidates who can offer a positive conservative alternative to the current front-runner,” Mr. Walker said in the short appearance, at which he took no questions. “This is fundamentally important to the future of the party and, more importantly, to the future of our country.”

An extremely graceful exit on the part of Walker. While he was only drawing less than .5% in the latest CNN poll, his move might convince others to do the same to help their party.

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/09/21/scott-walker-quits-2016-presidential-race/
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Wow this surprised me a little. Thought he was in for a little longer.
Think he'll be eyed by one of the Southern or Hispanic candidates as VP.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Trumps campaign had a lot to do with this. He has been stealing the headlines left and right, and was by far the most well known name going into it to begin with. When there is a dense field like this, many just wont be heard over the loudness of others so to speak.

On a side note, anyone notice Ben Carson's latest statement on not voting for a Muslim president. That made headlines for him, (and most Americans probably would agree). He keeps that up, he isnt going away soon.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(09-21-2015, 10:42 PM)Millhouse Wrote: On a side note, anyone notice Ben Carson's latest statement on not voting for a Muslim president. That made headlines for him, (and most Americans probably would agree). He keeps that up, he isnt going away soon.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/155285/atheists-muslims-bias-presidential-candidates.aspx

Most Americans disagree with Carson on that line of bigotry. 

Is there really a chance that your next president is ... Donald Trump ??
(09-22-2015, 07:38 AM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: Is there really a chance that your next president is ... Donald Trump ??

No. The Trump of 2012 was Perry and the Trump of 2008 was Guiliani. Neither was a viable candidate once the primaries really commenced. Hell, the last two winners of Iowa only got 20% of the total vote in the primaries. 

As more people do what Walker is doing, support will go towards your Bushes and Rubios. Fiorina is up in polls, but at the expense of Trump. They make up that perpetual call for an "outsider" that a branch of the big GOP tent always wants. Same with Carson, but part of his support also comes from the Religious Right, so when he drops out, his support will not all go to Trump or Fiorina. Cruz, Huckabee, and Santorum could pick up his supporters too.

Republicans always pick the moderate "straight man". Not straight in the orientation stance...

inb4 Lucie says "you mean Progressive!!!!1!111!!111!!111!!11!1111!!!!"

Define a moderate pat....

If progressives are entrenched as leadership in both parties then who are they working with?

Modrate just means they will spend money both ways.
(09-22-2015, 09:50 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Define a moderate pat....  

If progressives are entrenched as leadership  in both parties then who are they working with?  

Modrate just means they will spend money both ways.

A moderate is someone who sits in the center of the US political spectrum as defined by a generally conservative Republican party on the right and a generally liberal Democratic party on the left. They may be center-right or center-left, but they are not considered extreme or well entrenched in either direction. 

You may define "progressive" as anyone who is not ultra-conservative, but this would be incorrect. Most of the Republicans you claim to be "progressive" are not advocating for liberal policies

(09-22-2015, 03:23 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: A moderate is someone who sits in the center of the US political spectrum as defined by a generally conservative Republican party on the right and a generally liberal Democratic party on the left. They may be center-right or center-left, but they are not considered extreme or well entrenched in either direction. 

You may define "progressive" as anyone who is not ultra-conservative, but this would be incorrect. Most of the Republicans you claim to be "progressive" are not advocating for liberal policies

Progressive isn't just liberal policies. It's about reckless spending. Democrat progressive spend recklessly on domestic programs. Republican progressives spend recklessly on the military and abroad. Even though they are spending differently they are still spending.

a moderate will just spend their way plus a little the other way. Progressive GOP are former democrats . Or as you like to call them. War Hawks/neocons
(09-22-2015, 07:38 AM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: Is there really a chance that your next president is ... Donald Trump ??

There is definitely a great chance that millions of people in this country are braindead enough to nominate him as the Republican candidate; just look at how many people still drive around breathing through their mouths while listening to right wing talk radio.

Will he win the general? I doubt it. Despite the ever-increasing noise they make, the right is shrinking in America.
(09-22-2015, 10:08 PM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: There is definitely a great chance that millions of people in this country are braindead enough to nominate him as the Republican candidate; just look at how many people still drive around breathing through their mouths while listening to right wing talk radio.

Will he win the general? I doubt it. Despite the ever-increasing noise they make, the right is shrinking in America.

I agree that the right is in fact shrinking.
However, the left is, too.
Unfortunately, I think far too many people are becoming lackadaisical and feel that the corporations with big bucks have total control.
The funny thing about if Trump gets elected is that it will force us to realize the system is severely flawed and needs a reboot.
Well, we can only hope people have an epiphany, one way or another.
(09-22-2015, 11:28 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I agree that the right is in fact shrinking.
Quote:A new analysis of Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll data finds a marked increase in the share of registered voters identifying themselves as liberals, and an even bigger drop in the share saying they are conservatives.

In three national polls conducted so far in 2015, the analysis found that 26% of registered voters identified themselves as liberals — up from 23% in 2014. At the same time, the share of voters identifying as conservatives dropped to 33% from 37% in 2014.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2015/06/07/liberals-make-big-comeback-in-2015-poll-analysis-finds/

If you read the whole thing, the self-identified "moderates" are also growing.

In other words, no. The data implies that the right is shrinking while liberalism and centrism is growing.
(09-22-2015, 11:28 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I agree that the right is in fact shrinking.
Unfortunately, I think far too many people are becoming lackadaisical and feel that the corporations with big bucks have total control.
The funny thing about if Trump gets elected is that it will force us to realize the system is severely flawed and needs a reboot.
Well, we can only hope people have an epiphany, one way or another.

This. What was the voter turnout at the last midterm? Lowest since the 40's, wasn't it? I remember that the right was saying the people had spoken loud and clear while the numbers had shown they were quiet and disinterested. I know I don't focus much on national politics because of a lack of any real substance on issues and a lack of any common sense among the candidates and officials. I put more of my energy into state and local politics and government.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(09-22-2015, 10:08 PM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: There is definitely a great chance that millions of people in this country are braindead enough to nominate him as the Republican candidate; just look at how many people still drive around breathing through their mouths while listening to right wing talk radio.

No worries....If Trump wins, the Dems will send out Kanye & Kim in 2020.
(09-23-2015, 11:00 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: No worries....If Trump wins, the Dems will send out Kanye & Kim in 2020.

No one but Kanye likes Kanye.  But he does like himself enough for everyone.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]