Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
anyone else lose some of their zeal for the NFL?
Maybe it comes with age,I'm 48, but it just isn't the same for me. I turned on the GB-Minn game last night and was bored out of my mind. That was for the division, and I was bored senseless. I still like a Sunday afternoon watching football, but I find myself less and less interested. I don't know if it's the game or me.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I have gone through similar times. I think it's age as well. We watch but we also know that it doesn't rate real high on the list of important things.
Reply/Quote
Fantasy football and gambling help with that. I used to only be interested in division games but now if I have a player involved either for me or against me it makes a brutal game more watchable.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2016, 06:05 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Maybe it comes with age,I'm 48, but it just isn't the same for me.  I turned on the GB-Minn game last night and was bored out of my mind.  That was for the division, and I was bored senseless.  I still like a Sunday afternoon watching football, but I find myself less and less interested.  I don't know if it's the game or me.

Watching an NFL game is usually pretty laborious.  Between the ungodly amount of commercials (every touchdown equals at least five minutes of lame commercials), the network broadcasting it's incessant self promotion, the flags, the conferences, the replays, it's next to impossible for there to be any flow.

If you were watching a parade that stopped every fifty feet, you'd probably just walk away.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
It depends on the game for me. If I'm watching a low scoring game where nothing is really happening, I'll just move on. I do get frustrated with the PAT-Commercial-Kickoff-Commercial format. Eight minutes go by and I've seen one play take place.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2016, 06:09 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: It depends on the game for me. If I'm watching a low scoring game where nothing is really happening, I'll just move on. I do get frustrated with the PAT-Commercial-Kickoff-Commercial format. Eight minutes go by and I've seen one play take place.

It's the arrogance that comes from knowing people can't get enough of you no matter what.  The Shield is unassailable.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2016, 06:05 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Maybe it comes with age,I'm 48, but it just isn't the same for me.  I turned on the GB-Minn game last night and was bored out of my mind.  That was for the division, and I was bored senseless.  I still like a Sunday afternoon watching football, but I find myself less and less interested.  I don't know if it's the game or me.

That sucks man. I got you by a year and i love it just as much. I sat and watched the whole game and was quite entertained.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Sorry guys. I didn't realize this was an old man gripefest thread. Ninja

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2016, 06:06 PM)McC Wrote: Watching an NFL game is usually pretty laborious.  Between the ungodly amount of commercials (every touchdown equals at least five minutes of lame commercials), the network broadcasting it's incessant self promotion, the flags, the conferences, the replays, it's next to impossible for there to be any flow.

If you were watching a parade that stopped every fifty feet, you'd probably just walk away.

Agree completely. I said in another thread that the td-commercial-kickoff-commercial is a screw job scam and should be outlawed. 

Having the NFL ticket and Red Zone channel helps with this but even when there are 3 afternoon games going on that's usually not even enough action to avoid the choppiness. 
Reply/Quote
I'm still in my twenties, but sometimes I'll still do things around the house and try to get things done while having the T.V. on, so I don't feel like I was unproductive for four hours  Mellow
Reply/Quote
8 seconds of action followed by 30 seconds of standing or a 2 minute TV time out or a 3 minute comercial block..

And then there are the flags and reviews and injuries....

I'll check out the scores of most games but can hardly watch anything that isnt the bengals playing.... And sometimes even then my concentration waivers.
Reply/Quote
I lost my zeal a long time ago for the NFL.  The meat and potatoes of my football weekends is on Saturday with Iowa and Notre Dame.  Sunday football is just the icing on the cake.  Its especially sweet icing when the Bengals have been doing as good as they have been these past 4-5 years. But if they aren't on TV, which they rarely show the Bengals here in Iowa, I tend to lose interest in the NFL by the end of September. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
I only really watch other teams when I have fantasy players involved.  But when the Bengals are on, everything stops.  I usually prefer to watch them solo so I can concentrate on it.  At the most, I can watch them with one other person who cares as much as I do.  Most any other game is background noise for me.  Unless it has implications for the Bengals.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Games like last night can certainly cause a loss of zeal.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote

Actually, yes.

It is a combination of not wanting to look/sound like a crazy person while watching the game and scaring my family along with realizing the games really don't affect my life at all!   Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote