Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
are Bengals that low on cash or??
(02-03-2024, 02:11 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Those playoff games were in the last 3 years, you are super cherry picking here.  Where were the playoff wins the 31 YEARS prior to 2021 and Burrow? 

We also have not drafted a quality olineman in over a decade.  We could all go on for days with reasons why this is NOT good.  Give me many more cooks.

The main reason is that the Bengals backed into a Hall of Fame caliber quarterback by sucking so badly, and then that said quarterback got his knee shredded and has been battered like a sea wall during a hurricane because the oline.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2024, 02:27 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I am not totally in agreement with you or others here. For many years we picked pretty much in the top half of the 1st round. We drafted players that were consensus "top of the round players" by scouts and draft pundits. Some of those picks didn't pan out. My point is this, other teams would have picked these players if we hadn't. 
Let's not forget that in today's NFL, there is more going into the draft, more info, the way they scout.
 I am not buying into the notion that we need 20 more scouts to garner the same information from watching video of players that all 32 teams have. 

But you have four guys watching all that video. For get having to travel, that’s a ton of video to watch.

And how do you have a director of pro and a director of college, and then only two scouts? You have as many directors as scouts. So one or two guys looks at all the college video? Not to mention discovering things like character, work ethic etc.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2024, 12:05 PM)Millhouse Wrote: The main reason is that the Bengals backed into a Hall of Fame caliber quarterback by sucking so badly, and then that said quarterback got his knee shredded and has been battered like a sea wall during a hurricane because the oline.

Which allowed them to get Chase. I guess that’s a strategy?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2024, 11:45 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: The rape allegations have zero to do with Jackson Carmen not panning out.  Teams miss on draft picks all the time, even those with 20 scouts.

John Ross was just pure stupidity and had Mike Brown written all over it.  I think those days are long gone as more recent drafts have gone really well - especially last year as every single pick ended up playing throughout the year.

Chris Evans was a 6th rounder.  What do you expect a home run?  Not a high percentage of 6th round picks become superstars.  He's played and has a few decent games under his belt.  That's about what you get with a 6th rounder typically.

A few more scouts would be nice but not sure it guarantees better performance on the field.  MB being out of the picture was addition by subtraction.

I never once mentioned Carmen panning out.  We obviously did not know nearly as much as other teams regarding this sisutation and that is embarrassing.   There is no defending this.

The Chiefs took Pacheko in round 7, he is not the norm but at least he had a TON of production in college..  Chris Evans had literally NOTHING except a fast 40 time and taken in the 6th round.

This is Chris Evans in college:
2020:  ONE START, 16 carries for 73 yards.
2019:  SUSPENDED
2018:  TWO STARTS, 18 carries
2017:  TWO STARTS
2016:  ONE START

He could not be trusted at Michigan and could not be trusted here.  7th Rounder Pacheko had over 30 starts and 563 carries in 40 games.

31 years of drafted players and free agents with ZERO playoff wins.  We get the #1 and #5 pick with Burrow and Chase and finally win playoff games and people act like we have always been good selecting players.

Our ridiculously tiny scouting department is indefensible.  In my opinion, we look stupid as hell acting like it doesnt make a difference. 

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2024, 11:45 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: The rape allegations have zero to do with Jackson Carmen not panning out.  Teams miss on draft picks all the time, even those with 20 scouts.

John Ross was just pure stupidity and had Mike Brown written all over it.  I think those days are long gone as more recent drafts have gone really well - especially last year as every single pick ended up playing throughout the year.

Chris Evans was a 6th rounder.  What do you expect a home run?  Not a high percentage of 6th round picks become superstars.  He's played and has a few decent games under his belt.  That's about what you get with a 6th rounder typically.

A few more scouts would be nice but not sure it guarantees better performance on the field.  MB being out of the picture was addition by subtraction.

I think he’s saying the rape allegations took him off the board for a lot of teams, thus we could have taken him much much later than 2nd. We reached big time.

6th round picks need to hit. There are legit players all over the nfl that were drafted outside of the first 2 rounds. When is the last time we had a 6th rounder produce in a big way? I’m not saying we draft terrible, I think we do a decently good job. But there’s no doubt teams like Baltimore, Cleveland, KC, Philly, San Fran
Reply/Quote

I think he’s saying the rape allegations took him off the board for a lot of teams, thus we could have taken him much much later than 2nd. We reached big time.

6th round picks need to hit. There are legit players all over the nfl that were drafted outside of the first 2 rounds. When is the last time we had a 6th rounder produce in a big way? I’m not saying we draft terrible, I think we do a decently good job. But there’s no doubt teams like Baltimore, Cleveland, KC, Philly, San Fran all draft better than us
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2024, 12:51 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: I think he’s saying the rape allegations took him off the board for a lot of teams, thus we could have taken him much much later than 2nd. We reached big time.

That was my interpretation as well. If they had a better scouting department they would have identified the character issue and then dodged drafting an underperforming talent with the round 2 pick.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2024, 09:55 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: That was my interpretation as well. If they had a better scouting department they would have identified the character issue and then dodged drafting an underperforming talent with the round 2 pick.

That's fair.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2024, 11:45 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: A few more scouts would be nice but not sure it guarantees better performance on the field.  MB being out of the picture was addition by subtraction.

I think much of it had to do with being so damn bad in 2019 that we ended up with JB and after suffering the residual of 2020, getting Jamaar Chase in 2021.  I think much of this has fallen into the lap of the Bengals as far as players developing especially with JB, Chase and Tee.

Regarding MB, seems like I still see him every year, everyday on the practice field.  When there's an official statement from the team (ex. JB's contract), it's always Mike Brown that gives it.  I don't know why people think that he is not actively involved in the day-to-day operations of the team.

I live the same experience Katie does as the heir of a family business (construction company).  Trust me, MB hasn't gone anywhere and will meddle in whatever he wants whenever he damn well feels like it.  Make no mistake, he will always be President and CEO of the Bengals until he is dead.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote