Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ryan Stonehouse - P Colorado St
There's been so much talk about punter Matt Araiza, but I'd like to offer up an alternative that should be available with one of those 7th round picks.

Ryan Stonehouse, punter Colorado State

He's had a hefty career of punting at CSU, amassing 244 punts for 11656 yards. The full career average is 47.8 YPP.
This past season, he was second behind Araiza in YPP, putting up 58 punts for 2953 yards at a whopping 50.91 YPP.
Araiza led the NCAA in YPP at 51.2.

If you want to try and get a punting upgrade and not give up such an early pick for Araiza, Stonehouse might be a great option instead.
Also, Stonehouse is a great football name.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
What’s the elevation at Colorado state? I’d imagine that plays a part in his high average. Wonder what his away game stats are. Even then, I’m sure with that average that high he can punt in the NFL, but it’s worth noting. I’d be fine grabbing him in 7 to compete with Drue. I’m fine with trusting whatever the bengals do at punter although I do believe it’s time to move on from Huber. There is a lot more to punting than must of us bother to study. Sometimes it’s just best to trust Simmons on this stuff. If this is the guy he wants then I’m all for it.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2022, 11:57 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: What’s the elevation at Colorado state? I’d imagine that plays a part in his high average. Wonder what his away game stats are. Even then, I’m sure with that average that high he can punt in the NFL, but it’s worth noting. I’d be fine grabbing him in 7 to compete with Drue. I’m fine with trusting whatever the bengals do at punter although I do believe it’s time to move on from Huber. There is a lot more to punting than must of us bother to study. Sometimes it’s just best to trust Simmons on this stuff. If this is the guy he wants then I’m all for it.

Fort Collins is 5000', about 200' lower than Denver.

However, it doesn't seem to make a big difference in punting.

Look at Stonehouse's 2021 game logs - https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/ryan-stonehouse-1/gamelog/2021/

Stonehouse had 6 punts for 313 yards at Toledo. That's a 52.2 average.
7 punts for 358 yards at Iowa. 51.1 average.
On the flip side, he had under 50.0 average multiple times at home:
Vandy - 49.7
SJS - 39.8
Nevada - 47.7
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2022, 12:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Fort Collins is 5000', about 200' lower than Denver.

However, it doesn't seem to make a big difference in punting.

Look at Stonehouse's 2021 game logs - https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/ryan-stonehouse-1/gamelog/2021/

Stonehouse had 6 punts for 313 yards at Toledo. That's a 52.2 average.
7 punts for 358 yards at Iowa. 51.1 average.
On the flip side, he had under 50.0 average multiple times at home:
Vandy - 49.7
SJS - 39.8
Nevada - 47.7

Nice, definitely reassuring if we do grab him. If he’s the guy I certainly won’t be mad. My guess is we roll with Chrisman and an UDFA in camp though and Stonehouse seems like he’ll be picked at some point.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2022, 11:11 AM)ochocincos Wrote: There's been so much talk about punter Matt Araiza, but I'd like to offer up an alternative that should be available with one of those 7th round picks.

He's had a hefty career of punting at CSU, amassing 244 punts for 11656 yards. The full career average is 47.8 YPP.
This past season, he was second behind Araiza in YPP, putting up 58 punts for 2953 yards at a whopping 50.91 YPP.

If you want to try and get a punting upgrade and not give up such an early pick for Araiza, Stonehouse might be a great option instead.

I like Stonehouse and Smokey Monday.  Manifest now!
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2022, 02:50 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I like Stonehouse and Smokey Monday.  Manifest now!

Latent dependency issues doc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2022, 02:50 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I like Stonehouse and Smokey Monday.  Manifest now!

Maybe they'll combine to make...SMOKEHOUSE!  Cool
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I like the kid from Texas. Cameron Dicker. he can k/P, and was solid as a punter in his senior year. I dont think he costs a draft pick either as I think he's UDFA. would be nice competition for Chrisman.
Reply/Quote
Stonehouse would be a more traditional punter anyway with Araiza concentrating on distance in lieu of hang time and pinning teams back.

Now believe Araiza will make the transition, but one never knows and he may be drafted way too early as well.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2022, 11:11 AM)ochocincos Wrote: There's been so much talk about punter Matt Araiza, but I'd like to offer up an alternative that should be available with one of those 7th round picks.

Every Mock I did had Araiza and Stonehouse available in all of the rounds.

Just goes to show you the simulators are tricky to get somewhat realistic.

Would love Stonehouse in the 7th round.
Reply/Quote
It seems like the Bengals are definitely looking at some punter in the draft. If not, then Huber would've been re-signed to compete with Chrisman already. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
IMO we have too many depth needs to draft a punter.. and the fact that there are 2-3 high-quality punters and they know we haven't resigned Huber makes me think we will be inviting one in as a UDFA.
Reply/Quote