Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cleaning furniture question
I just acquired a mid 1930's dresser high boy with brass wheels. Parents moved and they needed to downsize. It was my grandfather's.

My question is...what is the best way to clean it. I don't want to remove any of the natural finish on it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
My guess would be something like Murphy's Oil Soap. As always though when dealing with antiques test a small inconspicuous spot to make sure it doesn't damage the finish.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 03:28 AM)mallorian69 Wrote: My guess would be something like Murphy's Oil Soap. As always though when dealing with antiques test a small inconspicuous spot to make sure it doesn't damage the finish.

yea.  I had a friend mention 'soap'.  He said mix up some Dawn and water.  I just don't know if regular furniture cleaners is what to use.  
Reply/Quote
Belt sander. Gets everything nice and clean, like natural!

Mellow

Try using a gentle soap and water on an area that isn't easily noticed. Just use the soap and water like normal, but only on a small part. If it comes clean and doesn't change the finish, it should be ok to use elsewhere. Oil soaps like Murphy's are also good. If it's serious cleaning (trying to get off mildew or mold or just clumped dust/dirt), then try mineral spirits. Again, use them in an area you likely won't see to make sure it doesn't damage the finish. I would recommend a cloth and not a brush if you're trying to get wax buildup off, as the bristles might get the mineral spirits into any cracks in the finish.
Reply/Quote
It really depends on what you mean by cleaning it. What is on the surface that needs to be cleaned off of it? If it's just dust and small particles of sediment a rag with a very light coating of boiled linseed oil should do just fine. 
If you do use linseed oil be sure to wipe off any excess because as it dries linseed oil becomes gummy.. Clear Danish oil would be good as well..
I'd try to avoid too much soap and water. Water can and will swell wood sometimes with disastrous results. I'd probably try linseed oil cut with a little bit of mineral spirits and wipe it down with a lint free rag..  Try to avoid water if at all possible. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2017, 01:04 PM)grampahol Wrote: It really depends on what you mean by cleaning it. What is on the surface that needs to be cleaned off of it? If it's just dust and small particles of sediment a rag with a very light coating of boiled linseed oil should do just fine. 
If you do use linseed oil be sure to wipe off any excess because as it dries linseed oil becomes gummy.. Clear Danish oil would be good as well..
I'd try to avoid too much soap and water. Water can and will swell wood sometimes with disastrous results. I'd probably try linseed oil cut with a little bit of mineral spirits and wipe it down with a lint free rag..  Try to avoid water if at all possible. 

Follow that advice.

With the age of the piece, you can't be sure that the wood is sealed.  If it's not, you could have damage from swelling of the fibers.  Even if it is sealed, it could be incompatible with water.  Think of the rings that used to be commonplace on coffee and end tables left by glasses that were not on a coaster.  It was the moisture accumulating on the cold glass that did it.

As has been stated already, whatever you do, test it in an inconspicuous area first...
Reply/Quote
Appreciate the input on this one guys. I've decided to do nothing at all to it. Just leave it as is, and dust it as needed. It's in good shape and I wanted to shine it a bit more. I'm kind of leaning toward some kind of oil, as some have mentioned on here. Guess I got some options, Thanks.
Reply/Quote