Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
didnt make enough plays to get over the hump
Quoted by Marvin Lewis last interview with Paul Daugherty on cincinnati dot com. Sorry i dont know how to share it on here or i would. Interesting stuff he said in it though. He claims theres not a leader on defense, the way reggie nelson and Leon hall was. He claims we are missing marvin jones speed on the outside. And im wondering why did he wait so long for core then. He was all in on james wright who isnt as good. He mentions protecting the qb, and the ravens were all over andy. Well why didnt he replace ced or bodine. He doesnt mention Nugent at all. He says all the coaches dont fear for their jobs. He says he knew it would be a hard year with alot of people leaving and they would have to grind. He claims he kept vontaze out, so the defense would get used to playing without burfict in preseason. And mentions we need to run the ball better. Like the denver broncos did last year.

Honestly reading what he says makes me think we are doomed. Can a grown man cry over his team? Lol
Reply/Quote
Also quotes "i cringe and laugh when a free agent wants to come here because we are superbowl contenders. We are only contenders because we work our butts off to be that".

What kind of quote is that, whos he laughing at? We havnt won a playoff game
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2016, 04:25 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Quoted by Marvin Lewis last interview with Paul Daugherty on cincinnati dot com.  Sorry i dont know how to share it on here or i would.  Interesting stuff he said in it though.  He claims theres not a leader on defense, the way reggie nelson and Leon hall was.   He claims we are missing marvin jones speed on the outside.  And im wondering why did he wait so long for core then.  He was all in on james wright who isnt as good.   He mentions protecting the qb, and the ravens were all over andy.  Well why didnt he replace ced or bodine.   He doesnt mention Nugent at all.   He says all the coaches dont fear for their jobs.   He says he knew it would be a hard year with alot of people leaving and they would have to grind.   He claims he kept vontaze out, so the defense would get used to playing without burfict in preseason.   And mentions we need to run the ball better.   Like the denver broncos did last year.

Honestly reading what he says makes me think we are doomed.  Can a grown man cry over his team?  Lol

Here ya go: http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/columnists/paul-daugherty/2016/12/09/doc-marvin-weighs-disappointing/95214944/
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2016, 04:55 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: Here ya go: http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/columnists/paul-daugherty/2016/12/09/doc-marvin-weighs-disappointing/95214944/

Ty sir.now they can read it for theirselves
Reply/Quote
If true, this excerpt from the article suggests all is not well within the locker room:

"He mentioned a mid-season speech to the defense, after a loss to the New York Giants. He talked about the need for selflessness and self motivation. He told the players that day, “I coached what some said was the best defense in the history of the NFL,” the 2000 Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens. “They were together, they were not selfish. They played and practiced their butts off. That’s how you guys used to be. You lost that."

Now, how much of that was just 'motivational' and how much of it was rooting out an actual problem is fuel for the imagination. I say it helps explain what we've been seeing on the field. Uninspired football at best, for most of the season, with the Eagles game showing they got the message. Probably too little - too late. Looks like a lack of focus here on the coaches, for failing to see this kind of problem earlier in the season.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
“We don’t have a dominant guy on defense.’’ He said the defense lacks the leadership provided in previous years by Reggie Nelson and Leon Hall. “We haven’t taken the bull by the horns,’’

Yet they've been saying Burfict is the undisputed leader of the D for years. And after a few games of shaking the rust off Tez has been as dominant as any defensive player in the league. I can't even take Marvin seriously anymore.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2016, 05:46 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: “We don’t have a dominant guy on defense.’’ He said the defense lacks the leadership provided in previous years by Reggie Nelson and Leon Hall. “We haven’t taken the bull by the horns,’’

Yet they've been saying Burfict is the undisputed leader of the D for years. And after a few games of shaking the rust off Tez has been as dominant as any defensive player in the league. I can't even take Marvin seriously anymore.

Exactly, what he says is mind blowing to me. Its depressing. Sounds like a excuse for the year also that he knew it would be hard with everyone leaving. Like what really is going on? I thought he had control of about everything.  Also stephen a smith says even players has said marvin trys to talk them down on price and says look what i make. IIbelieve it. 
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2016, 04:40 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Also quotes "i cringe and laugh when a free agent wants to come here because we are superbowl contenders. We are only contenders because we work our butts off to be that".

What kind of quote is that, whos he laughing at? We havnt won a playoff game

That sounds a lot like Dwight Freeny...who now looks like he made an excellent choice in Atlanta. I know Dallas is the media darling right now, but I think Atlanta is as big a threat as any in the NFC.
Reply/Quote
Nicomo Cosca“We don’t have a dominant guy on defense.’’ He said the defense lacks the leadership provided in previous years by Reggie Nelson and Leon Hall. “We haven’t taken the bull by the horns,’’

It appears Marvin is talking out of both sides of his face.Both statements cannot be true.
Maybe he's senile, shellshocked or bengalized now. Shocked
Reply/Quote
So let me get this straight...

Marvin calls out Dunlap for not being a beast on every snap.

Yet has the rest of the D line who virtually seems non-existent this season, including our beloved Mr. Atkins.

I understand that Carlos set the bar high for wanting the sack record... but...

[Image: th?id=OIP.Mba1a283045116c7cec78a1511c61f...=300&h=300]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Marvin should just write the title of the thread on a poster board and tape it to the wall instead of doing post game pressers.
Reply/Quote
Best thing of it all Mike Brown won't be firing him either. You know what I don't have patience like some of y'all did in the 90s. I'm really close to being done here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Sounds like he is making excuses to help lobby for his job next year to stay intact.

The things he did mention, leadership and such. Believe those blames fall squarely on his own shoulders.

Have been a Marvin supporter his entire tenure but the time has come.

He has had his chance even though I believe he has only had full control since after the 2010 season.

Still ample time.

Losing Nelson and Hall was major blow. But who did not know that it would not be ? Should have never let both go.

Think the leaders that hurt most and are really missing on defense is the departure of Jay Hayes and Vance Joseph.

Why could it have not been PA ? Why ?

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2016, 01:25 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Sounds like he is making excuses to help lobby for his job next year to stay intact.

The things he did mention, leadership and such. Believe those blames fall squarely on his own shoulders.

He has had his chance even though I believe he has only had full control since after the 2010 season.

Still ample time.  

Losing Nelson and Hall was major blow. But who did not know that it would not be ? Should have never let both go.

Think the leaders that hurt most and are really missing on defense is the departure of Jay Hayes and Vance Joseph.

Why could it have not been PA ?  Why ?

Oh no.......you can't let the "well respected" guru leave town! Who will play Mikeys dinner parties?  Think about the guests man.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Segment about how he coached the Ravens defense and how we used to practice like they did and we don't now is so obvious on the field. It seems every play some guy has no idea of what he should be doing. We try to make every tackle with a hit instead of wrapping up. We overplay every single thing.

You can tell the focus is dead
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2016, 06:18 PM)Housh Wrote: Segment about how he coached the Ravens defense and how we used to practice like they did and we don't now is so obvious on the field. It seems every play some guy has no idea of what he should be doing. We try to make every tackle with a hit instead of wrapping up. We overplay every single thing.

You can tell the focus is dead

Leslie Frazier ---> Chuck Bresnahan ---> Mike Zimmer ---> Paul Guenther

Marvin Lewis ---> Marvin Lewis ---> Marvin Lewis ---> Marvin Lewis

Only time the Bengals D has been dominant for any stretch of time is when Zimmer was here. Marvin Lewis, the defensive/linebacker "guru" is the biggest crock.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2016, 05:46 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: “We don’t have a dominant guy on defense.’’ He said the defense lacks the leadership provided in previous years by Reggie Nelson and Leon Hall. “We haven’t taken the bull by the horns,’’

Same here, he is just blaming the players that play their asses of for this team and city.

He should be looking at himself. He is the problem with this team.

He doesn't hold himself accountable or the players that play bad, he goes and insults Burfict without even knowing it here.

Dude needs to GTFO!
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2016, 01:25 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Sounds like he is making excuses to help lobby for his job next year to stay intact.

Still ample time.  

Why could it have not been PA ?  Why ?
Marvy should had had a temper tantrum in Mikey's office about keeping Nelson and Jones. I doubt he did anything close to that.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2016, 04:25 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Quoted by Marvin Lewis last interview with Paul Daugherty on cincinnati dot com.  Sorry i dont know how to share it on here or i would.  Interesting stuff he said in it though.  He claims theres not a leader on defense, the way reggie nelson and Leon hall was.   He claims we are missing marvin jones speed on the outside.  And im wondering why did he wait so long for core then.  He was all in on james wright who isnt as good.   He mentions protecting the qb, and the ravens were all over andy.  Well why didnt he replace ced or bodine.   He doesnt mention Nugent at all.   He says all the coaches dont fear for their jobs.   He says he knew it would be a hard year with alot of people leaving and they would have to grind.   He claims he kept vontaze out, so the defense would get used to playing without burfict in preseason.   And mentions we need to run the ball better.   Like the denver broncos did last year.

Honestly reading what he says makes me think we are doomed.  Can a grown man cry over his team?  Lol

Mike Brown ....right, losing Nelson and Hall lost leadership on D and losing Jones hurt and I'll add in Sanu.....That is Mike Brown.....Keeping Burfict out, he was suspended. You prepare for start of season and Burfict was suspended. .....Most of what Coach Lewis says here is just stating the facts. I see nothing wrong with any of what you say Coach Lewis said....I saw starting the season without Nelson, Hall, Jones, Sanu and Burfict as a problem way back before summer training camp.  We can add in not just losing Hue Jackson but many other coaches in the off season....add in Eifert injuries keeping him out most of year. ....Now some bonehead will come on here and say this is all part of football. Yes, the bad part, the part that loses you games.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Ug, the sooner he's gone the better. It's not the new players who are the problems.

The decisions have been horrible. Let's look at them:

1. Og is an epic fail at RT, so we keep trotting him out there anyways. Presumably because the team spent a 1st round pick on him, which is not a valid reason at all. He finally gets benched after the team's season is all but done and suddenly Dalton has time to find 2nd and 3rd receivers in his progressions.

2. Made Hall wait and wait for an offer, then low ball him. He leaves. Nelson signed a 2 year $10M deal with Oakland. We sure could have kept him at that price.

3. Marv kept Nugent around even though he's clearly two year past retirement.

4. Cody Core has the speed and could have been used, even if sparingly earlier in the season to stretch defenses, route running issues matter less when a guy is screaming down toward the end zone. Gotta cover him even if he's off the mark by 5 yards. Of course, with Og and Bodine on our OL Dalton wasn't getting enough time to wing it deep, so we sort of set our selves up for a weak downfield attack from two sides, no speedster and weak blocking.

This team could have 4 more wins simply by having an average RT and a new kicker. Both could have been filled cheaply.

And now he wants Og on the left side? Og played both left and right tackle in college. If he sucks at the NFL level at RT why should we believe he'll be any better on the left side? We shouldn't and I won't believe it until I see it with my own eyes. What Paul Alexander says makes me believe the opposite must be true.

For Marv to say that we need to run better when he trots this OL out there every week he's sort of pleading guilty to being a moron. Jim Brown would have had a hard time running behind this line.

Reply/Quote