Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dolphins game has damaged confidence
Loss of Eifert, Ross and Bernard were felt by the offense. Add in the fact Bengals coming off a big road win and play Pittsburgh next week, and it had all the makings of a trap game. Ain't no gimmes in the NFL...Bengals pulled out a win on an "off" day and that's a big thing.
Reply/Quote
Any W in the NFL is a great accomplishment.

I don't care who the Dolphin's beat but coming back from a 17-0 deficit and winning 27-17 is an amazing accomplishment.

I have not seen many past Bengal teams win games like the opener against the Colts, the last second thriller in Atlanta and this past Sunday.

I don't recall any past Bengal teams winning three games like these three in the same season.

This coming Sunday is the real test.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 03:21 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Any W in the NFL is a great accomplishment.

I don't care who the Dolphin's beat but coming back from a 17-0 deficit and winning 27-17 is an amazing accomplishment.

I have not seen many past Bengal teams win games like the opener against the Colts, the last second thriller in Atlanta and this past Sunday.

I don't recall any past Bengal teams winning three games like these three in the same season.

I saw a graphic during the game.  That was going to be Dalton's (something like) 29th 4th Qtr comeback.  Solidly ahead of the next closest Bengal QB.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The Dolphins were 3-1 coming and looked decent until the Pats game. This is the type of game this team isn't known for winning. Under Lewis, this was exactly the type of game where the team would fold and it would turn into an ugly loss. Instead, the team turned it around and turned it into a tough W. I'm proud of the boys for yesterdays game. We finally saw some life from the D and they didn't surrender 23+, Dalton was taking hits and still making plays, Mixon was back and looked good (yes, the second half). All in all it was a really good win for the team.

I feel that is the type of win that boosts confidence.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 03:28 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: The Dolphins were 3-1 coming and looked decent until the Pats game. This is the type of game this team isn't known for winning. Under Lewis, this was exactly the type of game where the team would fold and it would turn into an ugly loss. Instead, the team turned it around and turned it into a tough W. I'm proud of the boys for yesterdays game. We finally saw some life from the D and they didn't surrender 23+, Dalton was taking hits and still making plays, Mixon was back and looked good (yes, the second half). All in all it was a really good win for the team.

Yep, and remember 7 points of Miami's were from punt return.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 03:21 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Any W in the NFL is a great accomplishment.

It's the true measuring stick for where we really are.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 03:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I saw a graphic during the game.  That was going to be Dalton's (something like) 29th 4th Qtr comeback.  Solidly ahead of the next closest Bengal QB.
Dalton has 23 game-winning drives, one more than Boomer Esiason had in Cincinnati. It was also Dalton’s 20th fourth-quarter comeback, one more than Esiason had in his entire career and one behind Jim Kelly and Dan Fouts, among others. Needs 23 more to catch Peyton Manning.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 03:39 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: Dalton has 23 game-winning drives, one more than Boomer Esiason had in Cincinnati. It was also Dalton’s 20th fourth-quarter comeback, one more than Esiason had in his entire career and one behind Jim Kelly and Dan Fouts, among others. Needs 23 more to catch Peyton Manning.

Thanks for the correction.  ThumbsUp  I knew that somebody saw it closer than I did.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 03:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Thanks for the correction.  ThumbsUp  I knew that somebody saw it closer than I did.

Actually, I used this site. It is a lot of fun to go through all of the historical stats.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/comebacks_career.htm

Check out where Dalton ranks all time for passer rating.
Reply/Quote
I think we're good. 

2017 confidence:
[Image: shuttle-launch-42312.gif]

2018 confidence:
[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 04:19 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I think we're good. 

2017 confidence:
[Image: shuttle-launch-42312.gif]

2018 confidence:
[Image: giphy.gif]

Glad you didn't post the Challenger flight...   Ninja

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 02:19 PM)sonofstat Wrote: It was but give the Dolphins credit too....Matt Burke called a great game for 3 quarters.  

I'll be honest i underestimated them ...I thought we would win comfortably but they were all over us for 3 quarters.  

Which makes the comeback even sweeter ....we have the more talented team but seemed to be physically and schematically outmatched for long periods - but then we won through.   Whatever happens for rest of season the Falcons and Phins games means they'll always believe that can pull the Win out.

who dey!

Lots of good posts in this thread. I think this really rings true with me. I will be honest and say i underestimated
the Phins, they played better than i thought early by a long shot. I predicted the score but not even close to the
way it happened. I think this gives this team much more confidence.

Like you said, they will never think they are out of any game now.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 03:28 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: The Dolphins were 3-1 coming and looked decent until the Pats game. This is the type of game this team isn't known for winning. Under Lewis, this was exactly the type of game where the team would fold and it would turn into an ugly loss. Instead, the team turned it around and turned it into a tough W. I'm proud of the boys for yesterdays game. We finally saw some life from the D and they didn't surrender 23+, Dalton was taking hits and still making plays, Mixon was back and looked good (yes, the second half). All in all it was a really good win for the team.

Another great post, nice Muskie. Rock On

Definately about as big of a confidence boost of a game you can have.
Reply/Quote
The Fins came in with a good game plan against Dalton and that was to blitz the hell out of him. It worries me that Lazor has yet to cue up a few solid plays to combat that. Quick slants for example. But our QB and team MVP up to this point is a changed guy it seems and isn't getting as rattled back there as he has in the past. I'd once again like to thank Buffalo fans for that. Feeling important is a huge boost to the psyche and that is something Dalton has never gotten much of outside of about half of the Bengals fan base. On the contrary the guy has had to deal with the national media not giving him much respect due to the color of his hair and the team he plays for. Nobody ever talked about him the way they talk (ed) about RG3, Watson, Luck, Garapppologos, Wentz, Prescott, others and the new "it boyz" Mahomes and Mayfield.

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 05:50 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: The Fins came in with a good game plan against Dalton and that was to blitz the hell out of him. It worries me that Lazor has yet to cue up a few solid plays to combat that. Quick slants for example. But our QB and team MVP up to this point is a changed guy it seems and isn't getting as rattled back there as he has in the past. I'd once again like to thank Buffalo fans for that. Feeling important is a huge boost to the psyche and that is something Dalton has never gotten much of outside of about half of the Bengals fan base. On the contrary the guy has had to deal with the national media not giving him much respect due to the color of his hair and the team he plays for. Nobody ever talked about him the way they talk (ed) about RG3, Watson, Luck, Garapppologos, Wentz, Prescott, others and the new "it boyz" Mahomes and Mayfield.

I'm a massive Lazor fanboy and i have faith in him.   

But there were times against Dolphins were it looked like Matt Burke knew exactly what he was going to call.  We just could not get anything going.

I found it interesting that when we were really struggling the old (over) reliance on Andy > AJ started to surface.  Thats the first time we've seen that this year and it can bite Lazor in the ass if we are not careful (like when AD tried to force it into double coverage to AJ in the end zone).

We still have weapons without Eifert and the 2015 success was based on balance...not zeroing in on AJ the whole time (like Zampese)

Reply/Quote
I think some concerns that we've had all off season are unfortunately still a problem.

1. Our o line is not very good. The last few games even Glenn has looked subpar.

2. Our pass defense especially in the middle of the field looks atrocious. Players are consistently wide open.

3. The run game is far from perfect. Highly inconsistent which makes it difficult to sustain drives when you're in 3rd in long.

I'm not sure why people can't acknowledge this. Yes we won and it feels awesome but we have a long way to go.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 12:10 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: The first half was the first time all 3 units played poor since early last season. yes all 3 units stepped it up in the 2nd half but dolphins aren't a good team we shouldn't be trailing to a team like this 17 to nothing at home

Okay, but should the team at least finish the season?  Ya know, for the kids?
Reply/Quote
How many times have we seen the Bengals take a “commanding lead” into half time and get blown out in the second half? Lots, right?

Well, now Cincinnati has the ability to do that to other teams. Embrace it.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 04:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Glad you didn't post the Challenger flight...   Ninja

Hilarious I made sure of that because it was the first thing that crossed my mind.

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 03:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I saw a graphic during the game.  That was going to be Dalton's (something like) 29th 4th Qtr comeback.  Solidly ahead of the next closest Bengal QB.

Well, I'd like to point out that it was the defense that scored those comeback points and it is only those points that won the game. The offense scored fewer points than the defense.

And the defense only gave up 10 points. Teams coughed up 7.

I'm not knocking Dalton here, I'm just giving the credit to the defense.

I am pleasantly surprised however at how many 4th Q comebacks Dalton has had. I'm glad you pointed that out. That's a bonus for him that I didn't know or expect.

Reply/Quote