Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Car Insurance
Since I'm on my own now, I had to go get car insurance, because mine was bundled into the house, which I lost. So I bundle it with my farm property. The agent told me I needed to put the safe driver device in my truck. Anyway I got the device in the mail today and was reading the instruction. Apparently if it detects you're a "not so good driver" your rate can go up. Something my agent didn't tell me. I've never been involved in an accident or had a ticket. I called him and told him, ain't no way I'm hooking this up. Anyone else have to deal with this? Is it mandatory now?
Reply/Quote
No I haven't, at least not in my personal car. However, working in the trucking industry I have access to all hard brakes, hard turns and acceleration, from all drivers and vehicles. Those are the factors that I know of that they can justify rather you are a safe driver. It saddens me to read your post because usually, as bad as it seems, this may be the norm going forward as other insurance companies get on-board. You might want to look at different insurance companies. I dislike insurance companies with a passion because they are thieves. They cover you for sure, yes. However, it's like driving a Camaro off the lot and getting T-boned, only to be replaced with a Pinto due to depreciation. What a scheme they have going.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
No, it's not a standard thing. I don't even think my company offers such a device. That said, it is well documented and no secret that it can make your rates go up or down depending on your driving habits.
Reply/Quote
There are a lot of old and new companies playing in the 'insuretech' space that utilize telematics to adjust your rate up or down based on data about how fast you drive, quickly you stop and number of miles you drive. In the end, the insurance is supposed to be cheaper for good drivers. I am not a fan of this angle either.

SW - are you in OH?
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2020, 11:13 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: There are a lot of old and new companies playing in the 'insuretech' space that utilize telematics to adjust your rate up or down based on data about how fast you drive, quickly you stop and number of miles you drive.  In the end, the insurance is supposed to be cheaper for good drivers.  I am not a fan of this angle either.  

SW - are you in OH?

No, I am in Washington State
Reply/Quote
I love the idea of monitoring drivers so that safe drivers get lower rates.

That is the way it is supposed to work. I don't pay the same health insurance rates as a smoker who is 100 lbs over weight, so I shouldn't have to pay the same car insurance rates as assholes who don't care how they drive.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 12:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I love the idea of monitoring drivers so that safe drivers get lower rates.

That is the way it is supposed to work.  I don't pay the same health insurance rates as a smoker who is 100 lbs over weight, so I shouldn't have to pay the same car insurance rates as assholes who don't care how they drive.

if it doesn't monitor how often they are looking at their phone their speed is hardly an issue.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 01:53 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: if it doesn't monitor how often they are looking at their phone their speed is hardly an issue.

People who are constantly looking at their phones have to make a lot more sudden stops.

And speed is a HUGE issue.
Reply/Quote
The old woman had one in her car on a voluntary basis for a few months. I rode nearly everywhere with her in that period and the only incident that came even close was a hard stop when some fool cut her off in traffic. Her rate went up immediately and out went the device and so did that insurance company.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I'd prefer periodic testing of all drivers. As it sits now you can get a drivers license at 16 and never have to be tested again your entire life as long as you never get a suspension no matter how lousy the habits you acquire over the years. My father had terrible driving habits, but kept the same license for nearly 70 years. He only had to stop driving when he went blind. If he had been tested every ten or twenty years his bad habits wouldn't have gotten as bad when he lost his license for awhile.
Personally I think everyone should face a suspension periodically and have to drive anyway. Let me tell ya..when you're driving under a suspended license you really think about speed, turn signals and so on ESPECIALLY is you see a cop within a few miles in any direction.. This is from some years of experience in the subject at hand. Nervous
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 02:19 PM)grampahol Wrote: I'd prefer periodic testing of all drivers. As it sits now you can get a drivers license at 16 and never have to be tested again your entire life as long as you never get a suspension no matter how lousy the habits you acquire over the years. My father had terrible driving habits, but kept the same license for nearly 70 years. He only had to stop driving when he went blind. If he had been tested every ten or twenty years his bad habits wouldn't have gotten as bad when he lost his license for awhile.
Personally I think everyone should face a suspension periodically and have to drive anyway. Let me tell ya..when you're driving under a suspended license you really think about speed, turn signals and so on ESPECIALLY is you see a cop within a few miles in any direction.. This is from some years of experience in the subject at hand. Nervous

I've been advocating for years to test at 60, 65, 70, and then every other year after 75. Macular degeneration, cataracts, etc, there's just too many health issues at those ages. And there's not a lot police/family can do.

We used to have this one lady who came into the office. In her 70s. Drove everywhere. She couldn't tell who people were from 5 feet away. The police got her license revoked, a relative who didn't want to deal with her got it reinstated with a phone call.

As to the op, my company does t even offer the device. Personally, I would t want one as I live in a rurale area and nobody drives the speed limit.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 02:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote:
People who are constantly looking at their phones have to make a lot more sudden stops.

And speed is a HUGE issue.
Often like this...

[Image: car-van-wreck.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2020, 07:48 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Since I'm on my own now, I had to go get car insurance, because mine was bundled into the house, which I lost. So I bundle it with my farm property. The agent told me I needed to put the safe driver device in my truck. Anyway I got the device in the mail today and was reading the instruction. Apparently if it detects you're a "not so good driver" your rate can go up. Something my agent didn't tell me. I've never been involved in an accident or had a ticket. I called him and told him, ain't no way I'm hooking this up. Anyone else have to deal with this? Is it mandatory now?

I would consider changing insurance companies for your auto insurance.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2020, 07:48 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Since I'm on my own now, I had to go get car insurance, because mine was bundled into the house, which I lost. So I bundle it with my farm property. The agent told me I needed to put the safe driver device in my truck. Anyway I got the device in the mail today and was reading the instruction. Apparently if it detects you're a "not so good driver" your rate can go up. Something my agent didn't tell me. I've never been involved in an accident or had a ticket. I called him and told him, ain't no way I'm hooking this up. Anyone else have to deal with this? Is it mandatory now?

And how come you aren’t using that armed forces insurance I’m always seeing commercials about? They make it seem like you get paid to use it. LOL
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2020, 09:56 PM)michaelsean Wrote: And how come you aren’t using that armed forces insurance I’m always seeing commercials about?  They make it seem like you get paid to use it. LOL

I had them before and they weren't as good, customer service wise, as they project on TV. I don't mind my coverage or the price. In all honesty, I just like being told I have to do something, when I don't. As it turned out I don't have to be "spied" on. Probably the reason I'm single again...
Reply/Quote