Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
euthanizing your pet
I had a husky/chow mix for 17 years. Towards the end her back legs gave out on her and sometimes she would need carried to get to the grass to go the bathroom.
One day she couldn't even stand, and messed in the house. Luckily I was home from college at the time and my dad and I had to make the decision then that it was just time.
There was absolutely no reason to drag it on other than selfish reasons.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2016, 02:12 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I had a husky/chow mix for 17 years. Towards the end her back legs gave out on her and sometimes she would need carried to get to the grass to go the bathroom.
One day she couldn't even stand, and messed in the house.  Luckily I was home from college at the time and my dad and I had to make the decision then that it was just time.
There was absolutely no reason to drag it on other than selfish reasons.

17 years is impressive.

The hardest part is the quiet.  Not hearing them walking around or snoring or all the other things they do.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2016, 02:51 PM)michaelsean Wrote: 17 years is impressive.

The hardest part is the quiet.  Not hearing them walking around or snoring or all the other things they do.  

She was black and white so every shadow you just assumed was her for a few months. 
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2016, 02:51 PM)michaelsean Wrote: 17 years is impressive.

The jingle of a dog's collar. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
damn. sad shit everyone.

Need to go yell at the GSD for barking outside the entire time I was reading this. Then give him a big femur... Because I just read this.
Reply/Quote
To Harley and all others in this thread who have lost beloved pets,my sincerest condolences, many who don't have dogs or cats fail to understand pets have individual personalities like people do. They know the sound of your vehicle, the time you usually come home, your mood, and always know when they are going to the vet for checkups.This thread is heartbreaking only because we care. I suddenly thought of " Brandy " a thirty pound mix, who decided to lick my toes ( I had sandals on ) while under a truck changing the oil, being startled I sat up and banged the noggin on some heavy metal , still see traces of that knot on my head from years ago.....
Reply/Quote
Yeah, the nails on the hardwood was the biggest thing for my parents, being gone.

I have some carpet in my house he scratched at during one of his frustration phases, I never vacuumed over it - lol, I can still see his scratches 5 years later. Also on his paw print in clay that I got, some of his hair is on it that I never cleaned. Tri-color beagle hair.

As tough as it is for all the recent ones here, if you're reading this, it unequivocally helps to get another pet. It won't replace your other dog, but it fills the need gap - there is a puppy or dog out there that needs you and the sad energy you may have will get transferred to something that needs your attention.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2016, 11:05 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Yeah, the nails on the hardwood was the biggest thing for my parents, being gone.

I have some carpet in my house he scratched at during one of his frustration phases, I never vacuumed over it - lol, I can still see his scratches 5 years later. Also on his paw print in clay that I got, some of his hair is on it that I never cleaned. Tri-color beagle hair.

As tough as it is for all the recent ones here, if you're reading this, it unequivocally helps to get another pet. It won't replace your other dog, but it fills the need gap - there is a puppy or dog out there that needs you and the sad energy you may have will get transferred to something that needs your attention.

Oh yeah you have to get a new one.  The one I have now replaced one who replaced a previous one.  I haven't had a lot of luck.  My first Rottie died of a twisted stomach at 6 and my second had a degenerative nerve disease that was paralyzing him from front to back so we had to put him down at age 8.  I should probably move on to a mixed breed but man I love Rottweilers.  Beautiful, loyal and magestic.  And just his presence is one hell of a deterrent.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2016, 11:04 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Oh yeah you have to get a new one.  The one I have now replaced one who replaced a previous one.  I haven't had a lot of luck.  My first Rottie died of a twisted stomach at 6 and my second had a degenerative nerve disease that was paralyzing him from front to back so we had to put him down at age 8.  I should probably move on to a mixed breed but man I love Rottweilers.  Beautiful, loyal and magestic.  And just his presence is one hell of a deterrent.  

Mix breeds are generally healthier. Some inbreeding may occur when trying to get purebreeds.

But by mix breeds i mean mutts... Not York-a-poos or other aboninations to the animal world created by man.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2016, 11:08 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Mix breeds are generally healthier.    Some inbreeding may occur when trying to get purebreeds.

But by mix breeds i mean mutts... Not York-a-poos or other aboninations to the animal world created by man.

Yeah that's what I was meaning.  We will see.  

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2016, 11:08 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Mix breeds are generally healthier.   

With all the bad breeding, in breeding and over breeding now occurring in AKC breeds, it is no longer a generally statement. Dogs from mixed backgrounds are definitely healthier.  I have a pure lab that we paid $500 for. She is very smart, and very sweet. But I am into her for over $5000 in vet bills and she's only 4 1/2. She was having separation anxiety issues also. So we went to the shelter and got a lab/shepherd mutt for $60 to be her companion. Also a very sweet dog, but not so smart. Anyway, that fixed the anxiety problem. He is 6 mos younger than her and I literally have not spent a single penny on him at the vet other than his vaccinations. The idiot is bulletproof. I know thats only one example, but the AKC breed standards have done nothing but hurt the long term health of the recognized pure breeds.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2016, 06:52 PM)Beaker Wrote: With all the bad breeding, in breeding and over breeding now occurring in AKC breeds, it is no longer a generally statement. Dogs from mixed backgrounds are definitely healthier.  I have a pure lab that we paid $500 for. She is very smart, and very sweet. But I am into her for over $5000 in vet bills and she's only 4 1/2. She was having separation anxiety issues also. So we went to the shelter and got a lab/shepherd mutt for $60 to be her companion. Also a very sweet dog, but not so smart. Anyway, that fixed the anxiety problem. He is 6 mos younger than her and I literally have not spent a single penny on him at the vet other than his vaccinations. The idiot is bulletproof. I know thats only one example, but the AKC breed standards have done nothing but hurt the long term health of the recognized pure breeds.

Ironically, of the two dogs I've had both mutts and both ended up being...let's go with special.

My first dog had glaucoma very young and only had one eye most of her life. Aside from that she was generally good until the end.
My current dog, is allergic to the outside world, has hip problems and other fun ailments. 

This isn't what we signed up for with mutts lol
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2016, 07:08 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Ironically, of the two dogs I've had both mutts and both ended up being...let's go with special.

My first dog had glaucoma very young and only had one eye most of her life. Aside from that she was generally good until the end.
My current dog, is allergic to the outside world, has hip problems and other fun ailments. 

This isn't what we signed up for with mutts lol

my dog is having some hip problems... She has trouble hopping back up into the apartment i think the front step is sinking... So i have to give her a little help to get back inside.

And her eyes are kinda glossy.. but shes 11 or at least ive had her for 10 and 1/2 years

and this back/hip injury is the first ive really spent vet money on her since adopting her
Reply/Quote
Me and the wife just went through this process in late October with our St. Bernard, Hercules. He was ten years old. He had suffered with various ailments, sickness and bone issues for quite awhile. In all honestly, we probably held off a little too long in doing it. He was such a huge part of the family, and loved by everyone that ever met him...it was just very hard to accept that the time had come.

Only one of our kids still live at home, but the other 4 all came to see him on his last day. He had been a great friend and companion to all of them through the years. It was a pretty damn emotional. I don't cry often, but I shed a couple that day.

To Harley and the others in this thread, my heart goes out to ya brothers. It's a tough thing to go through.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 04:51 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: My wife and I made the difficult decision to euthanize one of our dogs this week who had cancer and was showing severe declines in quality of life. It was a tough decision to make because she was the best dog ever and we both loved her very much. Unfortunately, we took the dog to the vet and when she laid on the table and the vet stuck her with the needle, she blew a vein. He then stuck her in another leg with a second attempt and the same result occurred. Each time he was only getting a small amount into the veins and the poor dog was not liking getting stuck with the needles. You could see she was struggling to hang on because there was just not enough in her system to put her to sleep. Not to mention she was very scared. My wife was bawling and the dog was shaking and just looking at me with that look wondering what the heck was going on? I could not believe what I was witnessing?

As I tried to comfort my wife and the dog at the same time, the vet continues with the 3rd, then the 4th shot. The 4th was successful and the dog passed within seconds. I still can see the dog looking at me with that look wanting it to stop. My poor wife has been a mess and feels the dog went through torture. In a pain sense,I don't feel the dog suffered much from pain as much as fear and the sticks of the needles. So why am I telling you this? Probably just to get it off my chest a little because its been a very difficult week.

One choice I am confident with is that we were there with her and held her until she was gone. I've been told so many who have euthanized a pet did not have the courage to be in the same room. Not saying its right or wrong, but in my opinion the first thing the dog does when you leave the room is miss you and wonder where you are and why you left? I just can't imagine the poor dog going through all that trauma alone. We had the dogs cremated and my wife picked up the ashes Friday on her way home from work. She told me she petted the bag all the way home and cried. This has hurt her 10x more than it has me and I know how I feel so that sucks.

We have the dog home now where she belongs.

Sorry for your loss sir.
Reply/Quote
I had my dog Baxter put to slep last week. I had him 12 years and he was a year old when I got him from the pound. He was ate up with tumors and cancer. It was time. I was there with my wife and son. I was holding him. I think he was comfortable. The Vet was good and in 10 seconds he was gone and he just relaxed.
It is hard and makes me cry writing this. He always greated everyone at the door everyday. I still expect him to be at the door when I get there. But im sure that will change soon I hope.
Reply/Quote
It is never a good time to say it, but when you do get a new dog, you'll still remember your old dog in different ways - but the new one will force you to use some brain energy to take care of, and it helps heal. We had 1 or 2 months to grieve before that happened. It also reminds you how much different puppies or younger dogs are than older dogs. Sorry for your loss.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
[Image: RainbowBridge.jpg]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2016, 04:29 PM)Bengalfan69 Wrote: I had my dog Baxter put to slep last week. I had him 12 years and he was a year old when I got him from the pound. He was ate up with tumors and cancer. It was time. I was there with my wife and son. I was holding him. I think he was comfortable. The Vet was good and in 10 seconds he was gone and he just relaxed.
It is hard and makes me cry writing this. He always greated everyone at the door everyday. I still expect him to be at the door when I get there. But im sure that will change soon I hope.

It does change.  You don't think it will, but it does.  

Reply/Quote
Black lab. 17 years old this was 2 years ago. Had her cremated and she is home.

No way we were going to let her die alone I laid next to her looking her in the eyes and holding her paw. Still remember the last little lick she gave my hand before she passed.
Reply/Quote