Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted
Just finished watching 13th and I was wondering what everyone else thought about it. The movie takes in depth look at the evolution of systems of oppression and does a good job bringing us from the end of the civil war all the way to the present.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-05-2016, 01:09 AM)treee Wrote: Just finished watching 13th and I was wondering what everyone else thought about it. The movie takes in depth look at the evolution of systems of oppression and does a good job bringing us from the end of the civil war all the way to the present.

Is it in theaters now?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5895028/

Oh, never mind, ^ here it is. I had not heard of it. Sounds interesting.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Sadly, a film that could promote dialogue and progress, such as this, often does just the opposite.

In the current climate I can see the film being attacked by numerous people. The message it delivers, no matter how fact based or objectively presented, will trigger an allergic reaction of denial and anger from many. I hope it is objective and fact based. If it isn't, that will just make things worse than they likely will be anyway.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(11-05-2016, 08:56 AM)xxlt Wrote: Sadly, a film that could promote dialogue and progress, such as this, often does just the opposite.

In the current climate I can see the film being attacked by numerous people. The message it delivers, no matter how fact based or objectively presented, will trigger an allergic reaction of denial and anger from many. I hope it is objective and fact based. If it isn't, that will just make things worse than they likely will be anyway.

You're right. The discussion of race and how one's life is negatively impacted to be a minority seems to almost trigger a lot of people. I personally think that this Pavlovian-like reaction might be caused by certain types of media and how they shape the narrative for their viewers. That's a whole other discussion though.

The movie is actually on Netflix for those who might be interested in watching it.
My coteacher was telling me about it. She said it was pretty powerful.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(11-05-2016, 11:42 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: My coteacher was telling me about it. She said it was pretty powerful.

There is some qualitative commentary amidst the review of the history and I found it to be based largely in logic and sensible feelings. It was very good. I'd recommend it.