Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
favorite 1985 movies
(08-06-2015, 08:19 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I went to the movies one time in grade school with a bunch of friends. A couple of them were dating. They sat in the back row and made out the entire time. When we left one of the girls jeans she was wearing were completely drenched around her crotch area. 

True story. 

Oh, she peed her pants? How embarrassing.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 03:35 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Where have all the writers gone in Hollywood. It's all remakes now .

The writers haven't gone anywhere. Writers don't green-light and finance projects. It's the studio execs that have lost their imagination. It's all about franchises and merchandising. Turning out the same, insipid formula movies ad nauseum. Aliens threatening earth and fill-in-the-blank comic books guys save the day; an idiot stumbles round Manhattan (ever noticed how, in the movies, everyone lives in New York?) looking for Mr.Right with her smat-ass, spunky best friend; Books written for 12 year olds turned into trilogies; Some lunatic catches and hacks up people for the hell of it. Again, and again and again. And, people keep lining up. Small wonder that's what the studios churn out as fast as they can.

I've abandoned the multi-plex for the most part, sticking with small, independent films. It's like having a fine meal compared to the fast food, mostly crap offered by the big studios.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 08:15 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The Breakfast Club maybe one of the most overrated movies of all time. Movie bored me to tears.

Mellow

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 10:02 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Oh, she peed her pants? How embarrassing.

That doesnt seem plausible, more like she spilled her drink instead.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Pee-Wee's Big Adventure
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 04:55 PM)Bryan Wrote: A Nightmare on Elm Street 2 came out in 85. That's arguably the worst one. 

They all sucked after the first one.
I can only agree that yes it sucked.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 08:19 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I went to the movies one time in grade school with a bunch of friends. A couple of them were dating. They sat in the back row and made out the entire time. When we left one of the girls jeans she was wearing were completely drenched around her crotch area. 

True story. 
Interesting because the first time that I watched The Goonies (seventh grade I believe) I was visiting Ohio from Florida for two weeks in the summer and I met a random girl while at the movie and needless to say her shorts seemed quite wet when the movie was over.
Must have been the hilarious banter and comedy of the movie that made them get that way. She shared her large bucket of popcorn with me during the feature though. Sweet girl, never saw her again but will never forget my first viewing of The Goonies. At that age it certainly allowed me to say without any question OH..I owe!
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2015, 10:43 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: The Breakfast Club ranks right up there.  I had a crush on Ms. Ringwald after that flick.

Stallone then ringwald you're all over the map there Ninja
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2015, 12:54 AM)Lawless_1 Wrote: Pee-Wee's Big Adventure

Great movie.  
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2015, 10:29 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Rocky IV and Rambo II would top my list. (Have I got a Stallone crush?)

Its amazing he had time to train in russia to box drogo and rescue PoW's all in the same year.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 11:09 PM)Millhouse Wrote: That doesnt seem plausible, more like she spilled her drink instead.

Popcorn bucket technology has improved for less butter leakage lol
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 06:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Goonies is one of the most overrated movies ever.

Favorite "hits"

Jewel of the Nile
Back to the Future
Fletch
Pee Wee's Big Adventure

Better movies that were not hits.

After Hours (One of the all time best movies that many people have not seen.  A comedy masterpiece from Martin Scorsese)
Brazil (cult classic that a lot of people have probably seen)
The Falcon and the Snowman (based on a true story about 2 young friends who sold security secrets to the Soviet Union)
Fandango (A great coming of age story about 5 guys who take a wild "last" road trip after graduating from college in 1971.  Really good movie.)

**EDIT** forgot Pale Rider.  One of my all time favorite westerns.

Brazil is a great movie. My favorite part was the cameo by Robert de Niro as the repairman.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
My favorites (and not-so favorites)

High-brow favorites:
The Color Purple
Out of Africa
Mask
Brazil
Kiss of the Spider Woman
The Falcon and the Snowman
My Life as a Dog
A Room With a View

Good, serious movies:
Witness
The Breakfast Club
Prizzi's Honor
Pale Rider
Jagged Edge
Enemy Mine
Murphy's Romance
Sweet Dreams
Vision Quest
After Hours

Fun to watch movies:
Back to the Future
The Goonies
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Coccoon
Weird Science
Commando
Pee Wee's Big Adventure
Real Genius
Fright Night
Silverado
Re-Animator
Lifeforce
The Jewel of the Nile
Spies Like Us
The Return of the Living Dead
Silver Bullet

The worst (not even fun to watch because they hurt your brain so much):
A View to a Kill
Rocky IV
Rambo II
Invasion USA
Red Sonja
Day of the Dead
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2015, 01:57 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: High-brow favorites:

Kiss of the Spider Woman

I was in college when that came out and I believe it was the first movie I saw that dealt with a serious homsexual plot line.

It seemed like before that movie (at least in he films I had seen) homosexuals were either clowns or creepy. The guy Al Pacino played in Dog Day Afternoon was kind of a sympathetic character, but he still came off as crazy.

Makes me realize how much things have changed in just 30 years.
Reply/Quote
Loved Fright Night, Better Off Dead and Remo Williams.

Also remember Into the Night being good, especially David Bowie.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2015, 02:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I was in college when that came out and I believe it was the first movie I saw that dealt with a serious homsexual plot line.

It seemed like before that movie (at least in he films I had seen) homosexuals were either clowns or creepy.  The guy Al Pacino played in Dog Day Afternoon was kind of a sympathetic character, but he still came off as crazy.

Makes me realize how much things have changed in just 30 years.

Not about 1985 but your post reminded me of a funny story.

My college roommate and best friend since we were kids. He had a date and was having her over for pizza and a movie. So he rents two movies. And he wanted to look like he knew what was going on so he got on some site to get a top romantic movies. And he got a comedy. His romantic movie was The Crying Game.... Now I knew what this was about and I knew that he didn't know. So I just smiled and wished him luck.

Now what's great is this is a girl he had been out with only a couple of times. And he was way into her and wanted to impress her. So the next day he tells me, after I asked how the movie was, that they were watching the movie and how weird it got at the end. Now he is a buttoned up guy, so his reaction was priceless. He had no idea and he said he made a couple of comments about the girl being nice looking. He said when they showed she was really a he.... He wanted to die.

As he is telling me the story the girl arrived and then she goes into the parts he left out. She had seen the movie before but didn't want to ruin it for him, and liked the fact he made plans. She also said she was watching him for the moment of truth, and said it was all she could do not to laugh. And at this point he was mortified, and she said it was one of the best nights she had in a long time. To this day that story lives on when either of us get together or meets someone new.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2015, 02:18 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: They all sucked after the first one.
I can only agree that yes it sucked.

I like some of the sequels. 3 is okay, 4 meh, 6 just embraced the silliness of the franchise and I enjoyed that. And I loved Wes Craven's New Nightmare. Freddy vs Jason is dumb but fun. I'm in the minority but I enjoyed the reboot.

Reply/Quote
Looking at that list, it was a amazing year for movies. Seems like good films are few and far in between now.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2015, 12:54 AM)Lawless_1 Wrote: Pee-Wee's Big Adventure

Reminds me of one of my favs from back then: Big Pee-Wee's Adventures
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 08:19 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I went to the movies one time in grade school with a bunch of friends. A couple of them were dating. They sat in the back row and made out the entire time. When we left one of the girls jeans she was wearing were completely drenched around her crotch area.
True story.

This is why I come here, for the stories about sexually-aroused grade-schoolers  ThumbsUp

Looking at the list of movies from that year, I'll list the ones I actually paid to see in a theater:

Fletch
Cocoon
Back to the Future
The Emerald Forest
Silverado
Summer Rental
Real Genius
Pee Wees Big Adventure
Warning Sign
Remo Williams
To Live and Die in LA
Spies Like Us
Young Sherlock Holmes

Not all of them classics, certainly, but stil some prety good films.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote