Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
from The Athletic
An article breaking down the Oline performance and how the coaches saw it. 

"When the box score says seven sacks, Zac Taylor and Brian Callahan know what’s coming next. For a team whose offseason — and Super Bowl shortcoming — was defined by overhauling the offensive line and swapping out four new starters, the criticism would sound the same. Seven sacks? Meet the new line, same as the old line."

“You know what? People are going to write the stories about the sacks because we had a lot of them, and until we don’t have them, that should be the story,” Taylor said. “I get it. That’s part of it. But I thought the offensive line did a nice job.”
https://theathletic.com/3589282/2022/09/13/bengals-offensive-line-cordell-volson/

I'd say a lot of what is in here is about what most fans, who take a minute to breath, would say after watching it objectively. Some of it is "excuses"---case in point--how well Cappa and especially Karras played vs the others, but Volson is rookie from an FCS school and it was his first live action with the biggest bullets being fired. 

Collins maybe didn't play as well as most had hoped, but i think he did well considering who he was facing. Jonah was pretty concerning. You can't have an entire side of the line being a problem and the back of his card would indicate that he will get it fixed and be better. 

The big concern, which everyone already knows, will be LG going forward. 

This tweet is (his) personal attempt to combine two different types of metrics and come up with a single numerical grade. Take it how you will but 15th is a decent start, imo. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Any system/formula that creates a stat that tries to say the Bengals pass protection was above average in Week 1 is absolute trash and should be disregarded immediately.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
The line was better one film then there were on the box score. Still not great but not the dumpster fire it would appear and a lot of that had to do with Burrow. Poor checks at the line getting in and out of plays and then holding the ball too long put a lot of stress on the line. Jonah did not play well though against an okay, but not great, Highsmith.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2022, 12:03 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Any system/formula that creates a stat that tries to say the Bengals pass protection was above average in Week 1 is absolute trash and should be disregarded immediately.

Based on 7 sacks or your eye test?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
It wasn't just the offense line. The entire team from special teams and even defense on occasion looked sloppy, unprepared and rusty.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2022, 12:41 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: It wasn't just the offense line. The entire team from special teams and even defense on occasion looked sloppy, unprepared and rusty.

Indeed

They just never looked comfortable. It seemed to me Volson struggled a lot early but settled down some as the game wore on. But overall you could tell they hadn't played together much.
Reply/Quote
The first quarter overshadows the complete game by the oline:

Pressure percentage for the entire game we ranked 10th best.
Without the 1st Qtr we had the 6th best pressure percentage.

Of the 7 sacks:
#1. 1st Qtr, was supposed to be a quick pass - Chase and Hurst both open, Joe didnt make the throw and checked to the 3rd option - Burrow sack.
#2. 1st Qtr, Highsmith beat Jonah with a spin move - Oline sack.
#3. 1st Qtr, Highsmith beat Jonah with a speed rush - Oline sack.
#4. 2nd Qtr, bobbled snap - Burrow sack
#5. 3rd Qtr, play action pass, Volson pulling to try an d reach Watt - Terrible play call sack
#6. 4th Qtr, Heyward from NT stunts and Volson doesnt see it in time - Oline sack
#7. OT, Nickel blitz, Burrow nor Jonah saw it - Burrow/Oline sack

Karras was the 7th highest rated C in pass blocking
Cappa had a pass block score of 72.7

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2022, 01:22 PM)casear2727 Wrote: The first quarter overshadows the complete game by the oline:

Of the 7 sacks:
#1. 1st Qtr, was supposed to be a quick pass - Chase and Hurst both open, Joe didnt make the throw and checked to the 3rd option - Burrow sack.
#5. 3rd Qtr, play action pass, Volson pulling to try an d reach Watt - Terrible play call sack
#6. 4th Qtr, Heyward from NT stunts and Volson doesnt see it in time - Oline sack

I saw stats somewhere that showed our run blocking was pretty bad. They didn't win a lot of blocks.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2022, 01:22 PM)casear2727 Wrote: The first quarter overshadows the complete game by the oline:

Of the 7 sacks:

It seemed we had butterflies the size of bald eagles in that 1st qtr. no chemistry, the lack of preseason showed IMHO. Praying they build from that and get it together now.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2022, 01:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I saw stats somewhere that showed our run blocking was pretty bad. They didn't win a lot of blocks.

Run Block Grades vs Steelers

Volson 64.7
Cappa 64.2
Karras 63.0
Jonah 56.5 
Collins 55.7

Run Block Grades in 2021

Cappa 69.0  (67.5 Pass block)

Karras 67.3 (76.5 Pass block)
Jonah 75.6 (67.5 Pass block)) 
Collins 89.7 (74.3 Pass block)

Once these guys get a few games together I can see them being a top 10-12 oline. 

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2022, 01:43 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Run Block Grades vs Steelers

Volson 64.7
Cappa 64.2
Karras 63.0
Jonah 56.5 
Collins 55.7

Run Block Grades in 2021

Cappa 69.0  (67.5 Pass block)

Karras 67.3 (76.5 Pass block)
Jonah 75.6 (67.5 Pass block)) 
Collins 89.7 (74.3 Pass block)

Once these guys get a few games together I can see them being a top 10-12 oline. 

The stats I saw were block win rates. We were like 40% iirc.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2022, 12:04 PM)Au165 Wrote: The line was better one film then there were on the box score. Still not great but not the dumpster fire it would appear and a lot of that had to do with Burrow. Poor checks at the line getting in and out of plays and then holding the ball too long put a lot of stress on the line. Jonah did not play well though against an okay, but not great, Highsmith.

This. Need to play better on the OL and clean up that box score but Burrow needs to really learn from that outing.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2022, 01:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I saw stats somewhere that showed our run blocking was pretty bad. They didn't win a lot of blocks.

This is where I got frustrated because there were times Burrow checked IN to a run with a loaded box. Often times it was that mis direction pitch thing they were running that didn't work. That seems to have been something they thought they could get from film study but it was not working well at all. It seems like he was pass happy early so he was more likely to check into bad run looks later to create balance rather than take what was there. 

In the 2nd half he checked into a run AFTER they showed blitz and Mixon got smacked taking a handoff for a 2 yard loss. I am not saying the run blocking was great but this is what I mean when Joe was creating stress versus alleviating it for the O line.
Reply/Quote
Look, the Steelers D is not bad, you had a rookie going against Heyward, that’s a tall tall order. Collins can’t shut down watt every single play. Nobody can, that’s why he does what he does and is one of the best DE In the NFL. Now, if our oline gave up 7sacks to a mediocre defense with no all pro DE and DL then we should be worried. But I though aside from Volson being handled by Heyward, they did pretty good. And I think they’ll only get better as the season goes and everyone becomes fluid!
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2022, 05:12 PM)Cosmokramer Wrote: Look,  the Steelers D is not bad, you had a rookie going against Heyward, that’s a tall tall order.  Collins can’t shut down watt every single play.  Nobody can, that’s why he does what he does and is one of the best DE In the NFL. Now, if our oline gave up 7sacks to a mediocre defense with no all pro DE and DL then we should be worried.  But I though aside from Volson being handled by Heyward, they did pretty good.  And I think they’ll only get better as the season goes and everyone becomes fluid!

I agree with this. With Watt healthy, thats the best defense in the league
Reply/Quote

I read somewhere that a vast majority if not all running plays. Joe was behind center or they did a wide set. They sort of telegraph the running place which didn't help
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2022, 12:41 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: It wasn't just the offense line. The entire team from special teams and even defense on occasion looked sloppy, unprepared and rusty.

I’d have to disagree with the part about the defense.When you hold a team to 16 points in 5 quarters of play,that’s not to shabby.The Bengals Offense,since it was struggling,and committed 5 turnovers,put the defense in some awkward situations.

This Bengals defense was the bright spot of the entire game.I thought they appeared to pick up where they left off last season.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2022, 12:41 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: It wasn't just the offense line. The entire team looked sloppy, unprepared and rusty.

Like a Blue Waffle!

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2022, 01:22 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Karras was the 7th highest rated C in pass blocking

Karras and Cappa are solid; I’m not concerned about them at all. Frank Pollack needs to bring the rest of the line up to their standard of play.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2022, 06:48 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Karras and Cappa are solid; I’m not concerned about them at all. Frank Pollack needs to bring the rest of the line up to their standard of play.

Offensive line has been poor for longer than Taylor’s tenure but he sure hasn’t fixed it a lick. It’s on its way but they needed to make a move with a trade early in camp after Carman’s first hint he was not the answer. Relying on Volson was never smart. They also needed a 4th receiver. Darrin Simmons has too much control.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote