Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
great music history series on PBS..."Groundbreaking"
http://soundbreaking.com/about-the-series

Featuring more than 160 original interviews with some of the most celebrated recording artists, producers, and music industry pioneers of all time, Soundbreaking charts a century’s worth of innovation and experimentation, and offers a behind-the-scenes look at the birth of brand new sounds. From the Beatles’ groundbreaking use of multi-track technology to the synthesized stylings of Stevie Wonder, from disco-era drum machines to the modern art of sampling, the series highlights the dynamic tension between the artificial and the natural––between the man-made and the god-given––and explores the way in which that tension has continuously redefined not only what we listen to and how we listen to it, but our very sense of what music is and can be. In the end, Soundbreaking makes us hear the songs we love in a whole new way, and illuminates the sonic alchemy by which the music we listen to becomes a fundamental part of who we are.

8 one hour episodes. Just watched #4 (beat and rhythm tracks) and #5 (sampling), and it seems to be a great series. I am not into the technology of music or recording, but this is more about how technology has shaped and even created entire genres of music.

Lots more info at the link above
Reply/Quote
Definitely going to check this out.

Thanks for the info Fred. ThumbsUp
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I watched most of the series a while back... It is great.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote