Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hard telling who we draft off of Marvin's words
I was going over some highlights on YouTube, and watching the defensive ends because they are in a lot of discussion. And I come across malik McDowell again. At first I didn't like him the first time I saw him but they have better highlights of him now. But I think if we go D line, this is who Marvin will take. He's 6'6 and can play both DE and DT. Marvin liked Chris Jones I think two years ago but he got took before us. I can't see the Bengals taking a not tall and big guy, when we already have two undersized lineman that will be playing Billings and geno.

In interviews I have heard him say we need to protect Andy better, so can Robinson is definitely in play, especially if whit leaves in free agency. I have heard him say we missed Reggie Nelson putting everyone in their spots in other words of his. But he's never drafted a safety high. He loves linebackers, and has drafted rivers at #9 before I can see him drafting Foster. He went with two stud linebackers in 2005 before. So I can see Foster. He mentioned a little bit how we missed speed on the outside wide receiver spot this year, but I dont think he's that gutsy to draft another #1 type of receiver honestly. Even though I really like Corey Davis, and I'd be for getting Mike Williams.

I don't think we will draft any other position then that.
Reply/Quote
If Marvin is going to stay, the least he can do is not talk to the media. I don't know if it helps anything, he's a laughing stock to them and trolling us when he talks so until the season starts I don't know if it's worth deciphering his nonsense or Hobspin's fluff. I already harped on how the OL needs fixed BEFORE the draft at whatever cost, so lets shift gears.

The DL is supposed to be their backbone and team's identity. They've basically had the same DL for the last decade and failed to groom anyone to supplant those guys. Gilberry was let go, came back and played a bunch of snaps at the end of the year. Billings is a favorite of most, but coming off injury with Hardison, and Clarke isn't a bust yet. Unless you see a game changer in the back 7, it looks like DE makes the most sense especially if you consider how rough this year would have been had Dunlap or Geno been hurt. Derek Barnett is a guy that may not have the combine numbers or flash to work himself above 9 but he screams Cincy as a versatile DE that can move inside at times. That's where a lot of people are placing early odds, I'll do the same.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 06:26 AM)phil413 Wrote: If Marvin is going to stay, the least he can do is not talk to the media.  I don't know if it helps anything, he's a laughing stock to them and trolling us when he talks so until the season starts I don't know if it's worth deciphering his nonsense or Hobspin's fluff.  I already harped on how the OL needs fixed BEFORE the draft at whatever cost, so lets shift gears.

The DL is supposed to be their backbone and team's identity.  They've basically had the same DL for the last decade and failed to groom anyone to supplant those guys.  Gilberry was let go, came back and played a bunch of snaps at the end of the year.  Billings is a favorite of most, but coming off injury with Hardison, and Clarke isn't a bust yet.  Unless you see a game changer in the back 7, it looks like DE makes the most sense especially if you consider how rough this year would have been had Dunlap or Geno been hurt.  Derek Barnett is a guy that may not have the combine numbers or flash to work himself above 9 but he screams Cincy as a versatile DE that can move inside at times.  That's where a lot of people are placing early odds, I'll do the same.
I want hooker or Williams at 9 we can get Walker later on.
Reply/Quote
This is a really deep pass rushing class. Taco Charlton in the second would be a great pick and he reminds me of Dunlap. If we went Williams at 9 and Charlton in the 2nd I would be ecstatic.
Reply/Quote
If Robinson is there, I think you take him. This is reportedly a weak OL draft and we desperately need a better OT at LT. Whitworth is likely gone and neither Ogbuehi or Fisher can man LT right now.

Take a guy who was actually productive at LT in college for an elite program. Both Ogbuehi and Fisher were busts before they were even drafted. I still remember balking at the Ogbuehi selection. Landon Collins, Shane Ray, DJ Humphries and even Bud Dupree would have been better selections than a guy who is coming off of a major injury who had notable struggles at LT during college, as he was near the top of the list in terms of sacks allowed in 2014 in the SEC...

I wanted to be optimistic and was hoping all his flaws could be worked out with coaching but then it struck me this year...our coaches are awful.

I mean, look at these weaknesses:
Functional power and anchor are legitimate concerns. Technique flaws make pass protection harder than it has to be. Football leverage isn't as good as expected. Doesn't play with enough bend at impact. His punch in pass pro can be woefully mistimed and he plays with wide hands and some wasted motion in setup. Base tends to narrow when pass rush gets to his high side. Not a powerful tackle and won't generate much push as in-line blocker. Was one of the SEC leaders in sacks allowed in 2014. Tore his ACL in Aggies' bowl game, and won't be able to go through a full pre-draft workout for NFL personnel men.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/cedric-ogbuehi?id=2552355

He hasn't improved on a single one of those things in 2 years. He still has miserable hand placement, punch and wasted motion.

And Fisher is no better. Not only did he come from the least pro ready offense in the entire country, in Oregon, but he also was noted for how many penalties he drew and, surprise surprise, his weaknesses are remarkably similar to Ogbuehi's...lacks power, poor technique, bad hands...

I remember being horrified at the reports that we liked him and were considering him in the first round. Thankfully, we didn't take him in the first, though I wouldn't be surprised if we did had Ogbuehi not been there for some reason.

Enough of these weakling OTs. We were the most successful we've ever been since 1989 because of Whitworth and Smith at OT. 2 big, powerful, strong road graders. Let's not move away from that now. I understand we may need to deal with Ogbuehi or Fisher at one of the spots, but we cannot allow them to take both spots.

Leading up to this draft, I was pretty confident that we'd re-sign Whitworth, but if we are unable to, we absolutely can not leave LT in the hands of these two colossal **** ups of Fisher and Ogbuehi. We need an actually talented player. And if that means drafting Robinson at LT...then so be it. It worked out pretty well for Baltimore and Ronnie Stanley. You can start a rookie at LT if they are truly talented. And that is Robinson in this draft.

It wouldn't be a slam dunk pick, as there are weaknesses in his game, but nothing even close to the weaknesses that Ogbuehi and Fisher exhibit even now.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 05:23 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I was going over some highlights on YouTube, and watching the defensive ends because they are in a lot of discussion.  And I come across malik McDowell again.  At first I didn't like him the first time I saw him but they have better highlights of him now.  But I think if we go D line, this is who Marvin will take.  He's 6'6 and can play both DE and DT.  Marvin liked Chris Jones I think two years ago but he got took before us.  I can't see the Bengals taking a not tall and big guy, when we already have two undersized lineman that will be playing Billings and geno.

In interviews I have heard him say we need to protect Andy better, so can Robinson is definitely in play, especially if whit leaves in free agency.  I have heard him say we missed Reggie Nelson putting everyone in their spots in other words of his.  But he's never drafted a safety high.  He loves linebackers, and has drafted rivers at #9 before I can see him drafting Foster. He went with two stud linebackers in 2005 before.  So I can see Foster.  He mentioned a little bit how we missed speed on the outside wide receiver spot this year, but I dont think he's that gutsy to draft another #1 type of receiver honestly. Even though I really like Corey Davis, and I'd be for getting Mike Williams.

I don't think we will draft any other position then that.

I honestly doubt the Bengals know who they want at this point. There are a bunch of different directions they could go.

I think they need to look at the star RB's too. IF they think that Fournette has Bo Jackson/Adrian Peterson type skills...I think that's hard to pass up. Same with Dalvin Cook.

I think if you can get a star WR that has 1200-1400 yard receiving potential that you have to look at doing that too...kinda like what the Falcons did drafting Julio Jones when they had Roddy White.

One thing I'll say for DE...is it's a bigger need for the future that it even appears now. Dunlap just finished his 7th season. He still has several good years left...but he's eventually going to start to slow down. Hopefully not for 2-3-4 more years.

I look at this pick not as much about the position, but about needing to get an impact player. At the end of the day, if we get a star at RB, WR, DE, S, etc...we're a better team as all of those positions could use upgraded.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 10:47 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I honestly doubt the Bengals know who they want at this point. There are a bunch of different directions they could go.

I think they need to look at the star RB's too. IF they think that Fournette has Bo Jackson/Adrian Peterson type skills...I think that's hard to pass up. Same with Dalvin Cook.

I think if you can get a star WR that has 1200-1400 yard receiving potential that you have to look at doing that too...kinda like what the Falcons did drafting Julio Jones when they had Roddy White.

One thing I'll say for DE...is it's a bigger need for the future that it even appears now. Dunlap just finished his 7th season. He still has several good years left...but he's eventually going to start to slow down. Hopefully not for 2-3-4 more years.

I look at this pick not as much about the position, but about needing to get an impact player. At the end of the day, if we get a star at RB, WR, DE, S, etc...we're a better team as all of those positions could use upgraded.

HB is very deep in this draft. You could get a stud in the 3rd or 4th round. I think it makes the Jeremy Hill decision very interesting going forward.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 10:54 AM)Au165 Wrote: HB is very deep in this draft. You could get a stud in the 3rd or 4th round. I think it makes the Jeremy Hill decision very interesting going forward.

IMO with Hill not playing well the past two seasons compared to how he performed his rookie year, this is a make-or-break year for him.
He's entering a contract year too.

I'm hoping Burkhead is re-signed and I hope to see a RB drafted in the middle rounds to provide insurance in case 2014 was a fluke for Hill.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 11:48 AM)ochocincos Wrote: IMO with Hill not playing well the past two seasons compared to how he performed his rookie year, this is a make-or-break year for him.

I'm hoping Burkhead is re-signed and I hope to see a RB drafted in the middle rounds to provide insurance in case 2014 was a fluke for Hill.

I think Rex leaves to be a 2/1B option somewhere else, money and opportunity will be better away from here. I think we draft a power back similar to Hill in the mid rounds (which is what this draft has a lot of) and we take a wait and see approach with Hill. In the end it is tough to sign two backs to second contracts, so it was an up Hill fight for Hill even if he was performing well.
Reply/Quote
We need to invest on both sides of the trenches in the first 3 rounds. A true pass rotation would be great.
Reply/Quote
Impossible to really talk about the draft until free agency is over.

We have no idea what our needs are going to be. Nothing but wild guesses at this time.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 01:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Impossible to really talk about the draft until free agency is over.

We have no idea what our needs are going to be. Nothing but wild guesses at this time.
Impossible?

News flash everything from the end of the season to the draft is a wild guess.

After watching 16 games of Bengals football I have a pretty solid idea what our needs are. I doubt any realistic options the Bengals will sign will make the teams needs disappear instantly. It's more likely that the Bengals will solve their needs through strictly the draft or a two pronged approach with a cheap FA and the draft.

Point being its a valid discussion.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 08:15 AM)Jpoore Wrote: I want hooker or Williams at 9 we can get Walker later on.

That's a good idea. I think Malik Hooker would be a terrific addition to the secondary but there's another defensive back I noticed and should he declare for the draft I think Cincinnati should take a serious look at Minkah Fitzpatrick from Alabama.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 02:00 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote:  I doubt any realistic options the Bengals will sign will make the teams needs disappear instantly. 

It is not about who they sign.  It is about who they let go.

We don't know if Whit, Zeitler, or Kirkpatrick will be back in '17.  and now there is a good chance Pacman won't be here.

All of those situations have to be resolved before we have any idea who we are going to take in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 11:48 AM)ochocincos Wrote: IMO with Hill not playing well the past two seasons compared to how he performed his rookie year, this is a make-or-break year for him.

I think an actual productive center will make our RB's extremely more productive.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 02:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think an actual productive center will make our RB's extremely more productive.

I don't know that's THE issue, but is an issue. Hill has simply not seemed to regain his one cut form from his rookie year. For a power back he still dances in the hole too much rather than taking the 3 and 4 yards he could get each play running straight ahead. As I said before, there are some really good options available in the 3rd or 4th round that would be worth looking at know Hill probably hits FA after next season and Gio is going to miss some time next season.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 03:14 PM)Au165 Wrote: I don't know that's THE issue, but is an issue. Hill has simply not seemed to regain his one cut form from his rookie year. For a power back he still dances in the hole too much rather than taking the 3 and 4 yards he could get each play running straight ahead. As I said before, there are some really good options available in the 3rd or 4th round that would be worth looking at know Hill probably hits FA after next season and Gio is going to miss some time next season.

Lapham was just quoted on The Lap Hour podcast saying, "If he (Jeremy Hill) wants to run like he's running, lose 30 pounds."
Link - http://espn1530.iheart.com/onair/lance-mcalister-7818/podcast-bengals-line-must-listen-lap-15429690/
I think this is an accurate statement, as it does seem like Hill is trying to be something he's not, which is a shifty back. He's got the size to be a power back and had success making a single cut and hitting the hole hard.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote