Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ibuprofen and Alcohol
(11-13-2015, 12:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: All joking aside, I think this is solid advice.  As long as you are not on prescription strength Ibuprofren or eating OTC motrin like candy all day every day.

I have a bit of chronic pain in one of my knees, but nothing bad enough to consider prescription pain killers.  Since I take them on a pretty regular basis I rotate between Ibuprofen, Naproxin, and Acetaminophen.  I figure they are all pretty safe in the doses I take, but I think too much of anything might have effects over years of use.

I remember when they first discovered Ibuprofrin's anti-inflammatory powers.  It was considered a bit of a wonder drug and pro-athletes were coming back from injuries in half the time it used to take.  Then they discovered that they were causing kidney damage with the massive doses they were using.  Kenny Easley was one of the greatest safeties in NFL history.  He was first team All Pro almost every year and was League Defensive Player of the Year a couple of times.  His career was cut short by kidney disease, and he claimed it was because the Seahawk's medical staff had him taking 20 Advils a day for three months to keep swelling down in his injured ankle.

If you deal with chronic pain, take a look at this:

https://www.bulletproofexec.com/best-anti-inflammatory-herbs-and-spices/

I have a lot of chronic pain but I don't  like pain meds.  The wife of a friend recommended it to me.   It's made a big difference for me.  Takes a week or two to kick in but it really has worked.  Not just a bunch of herbal, new age mumbo jumbo.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2015, 05:19 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Remember Brad,,   You can ask any phramacist these types of questions.  But ive never had an issue the only thing i try and avoid is taking tylenol and an asprin product at the same time or within a few hours of each other as that can cause stomach issues
I do know Tylenol and alcohol is a no no.
Reply/Quote
sippin on some syrupppp
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 11:08 PM)Wyche Wrote: Crush up a couple Oxy Contins.....stir em in with some bourbon and water....THEN start power slammin' some brews.  Wuss..... Ninja
^^^^^ This Brad.

You'll be alright to drink beer.  You just don't want to make a habit out of mixing the two.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
WE DO WE HAVE HERE
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
1)  Where did you get the idea you couldn't mix alcohol and ibubrofen?

2)  Alcohol and ibuprofen don't interect, but if you are taking high doses for long periods of time the combo ma increase your risk of a GI bleed.  But, regular use of high dose ibuprofen has the same risk.

3)  Ibuprofen is not a pain killer except for minor aches and pains, e.g. a minor headache.  The commercials for advil or motrin try to make you believe the pain will disappear for the next 8 hours after taking only 1 or 2 tablets.  That's not going to happen.  Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory, not a pain med.  Your knees hurt from trying to do too much too soon.  If you take ibuprofen regularly the inflammation will go away faster than with rest alone so you're pain free sooner.  As in you might be pain free in 7 days instead of 10 days.
Reply/Quote