Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul Guenther - Why not Blitz more?
I have been saying it for two years now, but I don't know what people see in Paul Guenther. I see posts on this board and elsewhere where people complain about this player or that player, but I want to know when will it become a realization that some of the blame rests on Guenther?

I did not catch the entire game on Sunday, but I watched most of it and from what I saw, Guenther's go to play is: drop in a zone and rush the 4 linemen. This would work if we could collapse the pocket with our front four or get any kind of push. Instead, we get nothing and the QB has all day to throw.

I don't get why Guenther doesn't blitz more. I see other teams do it all the time. Peko and MJ are getting beat in 1 on 1 blocks all day. Geno and Dunlap are getting double teams. Why not blitz a LB or something? I think it can be determined that our LBs are our weakest part of the defense. Why not send them at the QB instead of guarding a RB or TE and giving up 8 to 10 yard gains all day?

One of the better plays of the last playoff game was Burfict blitz that sacked, hurt, and should have been called a fumble on Ben. But we don't see much of that anymore. This zone is easily dissected by opposing QBs and is creating little if any stops or takeaways.
Reply/Quote
They blitzed a lot more the pass two games. We're not getting there and our coverage is to soft in the back end.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 12:04 PM)J24 Wrote: They blitzed a lot more the pass two games. We're not getting there and our coverage is to soft in the back end.

This.  I saw a lot of failed blitz attempts Sunday.  The defense is just doo doo.....although, I must say, I agree with the OP in the games prior.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 12:19 PM)Wyche Wrote: This.  I saw a lot of failed blitz attempts Sunday.  The defense is just doo doo.....although, I must say, I agree with the OP in the games prior.

Yep. It's a double-edged sword...if you blitz and don't get there...you give up big plays...especially with the soft zone that the Bengals play.

Jones has slowed down in coverage. Kirkpatrick isn't a great corner. He's maybe above average. The safeties aren't great in coverage either.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 01:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. It's a double-edged sword...if you blitz and don't get there...you give up big plays...especially with the soft zone that the Bengals play.

Jones has slowed down in coverage. Kirkpatrick isn't a great corner. He's maybe above average. The safeties aren't great in coverage either.

Unfortunately, you're exactly right.

Reply/Quote
If you blitz, then your corners and safety need to hold their assignments, which has not being done. Mostly Williams and Iloka blowing coverages, I don't think those two aren't on the same page most of time.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 01:51 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: If you blitz, then your corners and safety need to hold their assignments, which has not being done. Mostly Williams and Iloka blowing coverages, I don't think those two aren't on the same page most of time.

Agreed, and this makes the loss of Nelson a huge mistake, IMO.

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 01:51 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: If you blitz, then your corners and safety need to hold their assignments, which has not being done. Mostly Williams and Iloka blowing coverages, I don't think those two aren't on the same page most of time.

Even on the one TD pass you saw Jones playing man and Iloka playing zone. It seems our defense is confused out there quite a few times.

Like, for example, rewatch the long TD pass to Demaryius Thomas on 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1. The defense had their hands up and were confused and didn't know what to do. They were looking at the sideline and were given no answers.

It comes down to coaching. Coyle has not been good this year. Which is surprising, because I thought he would do a decent job back here.

And then Guenther? Well. He had a very good 2015 season, but this team has regressed under him in every facet outside of that year.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 01:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. It's a double-edged sword...if you blitz and don't get there...you give up big plays...especially with the soft zone that the Bengals play.

Soft zone is supposed to prevent big plays, but combined with our lack of tackling it almost increases them.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
One thing that I haven't seen or noticed is the edge blitz from a db. I don't know how he pulled it off but Zim was able to dial it up at times where they wouldn't even be noticed or touched and would get a free run causing chaos.
Reply/Quote
I recall many plays in even just the last two games where our defense looked just completely lost just before the snap. Guys in motion on the other team, QBs calling audibles, and our Defense waving hands at each other looking around lost. Many times they were barely set or not set yet when the ball was snapped.

Either the coaching is piss poor or you got a bunch of dummys out there that can't learn from coaches, tape or both. My bets are on the coaching. Jones and Burfict may be knuckleheads with personal fouls, but they are probably two of the football smartest guys on our Defense.

Is someone calling things out that doesn't really know what they are doing and maybe the guy behind them knows less? I think the loss of Nelson hurt us a lot and we are seeing it with the confusion. Really wondering if maybe Nelson was keeping people on correct assignment?

What would explain all of this last minute "omg what am I supposed to?" right before the snap?
Reply/Quote
Depends on the opponent. We blitzed Denver and they beat us badly with big plays.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 08:06 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Soft zone is supposed to prevent big plays, but combined with our lack of tackling it almost increases them.

Exactly if your gonna play off on the zone, you better be able to tackle. We aren't doing that.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I've seen a lot of guys getting on another after giving up a big play. This past game I saw Jones get on Shaw. It's cool to show passion and all that and I have no issue with them doing so but when you are doing it constantly means the defense is not on the same page with each other.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 12:19 PM)Wyche Wrote: This.  I saw a lot of failed blitz attempts Sunday.  The defense is just doo doo.....although, I must say, I agree with the OP in the games prior.

Doo doo is too polite for me...they are a steaming heap of shit.

Adjustments are needed...and for the love of everything that is holy, stop playing 10 yards off receivers with all first round picks at CB.  If they get burned a lot, fine...maybe they will learn a lot.  But right now, you could do that with scrubs that were UDFA.  

It would be like having a stud RDE drafted in the first round and having him drop in to coverage every play...

Start contesting things...stop giving up easy completions that opposing QBs are having their career days against you week after week.  Your defense might just respond with some energy.  
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2016, 12:06 AM)EatonFan Wrote: Depends on the opponent.  We blitzed Denver and they beat us badly with big plays.

We did?  So, the defense got burnt once deep on a miscommunication and once on a really good play by the offensive player and we decide to play 10 yards off the rest of the year?  I'm pretty sure that all the top defenses have been beat deep this year, but I doubt they started to play like a bunch of cowards afterward.

Have you watched how the Cardinals get after opposing teams?  Their offense has been awful, but man, their defense attacks.  It is actually fun to watch and their guys look like they are inspired.  
Reply/Quote
Because by the time the games start, he is going into his "donut coma" and just cannot think due to the sugar crash.
Reply/Quote