Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
if we have to cut Dalton
(03-28-2020, 10:29 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: They dont have to cut him. They could decide to restructure his deal. Same with a few others. You can front load or even back load one to get this years salary down. Takes 2 though. 

Me personally? I wouldnt mind having AD one more year. But it's up to him as well.

Personally I think we just let him go. We done botched any chances of getting a deal. Just cut ties with him, thank him for his service and be done. We aint gonna get anything for him anyway. Plus, I just don't know if we need Dalton mentoring Burrow. This might actually be a case that Burrow needs to learn from the coaches and experience other that a QB that couldn't win a playoff game. Nothing against Dalton. I like the guy, but in the same sense wanting to protect our investment.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think we can trade him still. It just might not be what we want to get.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2020, 10:58 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I think we can trade him still. It just might not be what we want to get.

Possibly, but will probably be a 6th rounder we take a look at and end up either cutting or putting on the practice squad. Maybe not, but probable.

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2020, 09:59 PM)jason Wrote: Yeah that ain't happenin'... Nobody's giving up anything for someone they know a team needs to cut. As well as the team did in free agency, they still mishandled the situation with Dalton. They are the same boobs known as the Brown/ Blackburn family after all.

I have no idea if there were offers for Dalton last year that they rejected or not.  But I have to selfishly say I was glad he stayed and got at least a couple wins.  And I don't care who they came against or when.  We can never live in that oh fer drawer with the Browns.

It was just unfortunate timing with all the QB's out there.  Should they have seen it coming last year?  Maybe.  I still don't care.  I'll give up an extra fourth round pick to stay out of that hall of shame.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2020, 10:32 PM)jason Wrote: Isn't restructuring up to him too?

Yes
He can agree to or not agree to and that could force a cut. 
As it stands, there is no real guarantee that he will be picked up by anyone so a restructure might be the only way he gets paid. Suck it up and try again next year. Better to make a few mil and zero mil.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2020, 06:10 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Yes and hoping for that elusive trade partner which is not looking too promising right now. A little surprised NE or Jax haven't had any buzz on this.  

NE or any team can just wait until Dalton is cut and not have to give up a draft pick. Plus, they can sign him to a cheaper deal. It's smart to just wait for the inevitable.

The Bengals could wait and keep Dalton on the payroll and trade him if and when another team has a starter go down with injury, and some have proposed this idea, but it's a bit of a gamble because the team would have to cut or trade someone else with a decent sized salary to keep Dalton and his contract. Given that Dalton would be a backup and the player the team would need to cut or trade would likely be a starter, it doesn't make sense to go this route.

It's better for everyone to just cut him loose after the draft if no one is willing to pony up a pick for him. At this point any pick is better than nothing, but the team reportedly turned down a 4th round comp pick from Chicago.

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 12:08 AM)BengalChris Wrote: NE or any team can just wait until Dalton is cut and not have to give up a draft pick. Plus, they can sign him to a cheaper deal. It's smart to just wait for the inevitable.

The Bengals could wait and keep Dalton on the payroll and trade him if and when another team has a starter go down with injury, and some have proposed this idea, but it's a bit of a gamble because the team would have to cut or trade someone else with a decent sized salary to keep Dalton and his contract.

It's better for everyone to just cut him loose after the draft if no one is willing to pony up a pick for him. At this point any pick is better than nothing, but the team reportedly turned down a 4th round comp pick from Chicago.

This right here is the reason why they can't possibly keep him.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 12:15 AM)McC Wrote: This right here is the reason why they can't possibly keep him.

I agree. They've basically spent his salary elsewhere, so he's going.

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 12:22 AM)BengalChris Wrote: I agree. They've basically spent his salary elsewhere, so he's going.

Yep.  Nobody wants an 18 million dollar back up.  And even if he fully aware that his future is as a backup, he won't want to renegotiate to do it here.

I do think he'll get a backup job somewhere.

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2020, 10:32 PM)jason Wrote: Isn't restructuring up to him too?

Lol, if you're the franchise QB, and the team makes it known midway through a season that you're not their man going forward, are you really willing to restructure for their benefit?  C'mnon man, get real..   Mellow

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2020, 08:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You didn't read his post correctly.  He was also including the estimated amount that they will spend on rookie contracts, in that $5-$6M over estimation.

You're right. 

I'm still doubtful, though. There's always some veterans who get cut and they make more than $700-800k. If they draft a WR, Erickson is a possible cut after he lost the return job last year. He would open up like $1.8m in cap space. Or maybe they just trade John Ross to someone who thinks they can get him to catch/run hard/run the right routes/stay healthy and save $2.8m.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2020, 10:56 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Personally I think we just let him go. We done botched any chances of getting a deal. Just cut ties with him, thank him for his service and be done. We aint gonna get anything for him anyway. Plus, I just don't know if we need Dalton mentoring Burrow. This might actually be a case that Burrow needs to learn from the coaches and experience other that a QB that couldn't win a playoff game. Nothing against Dalton. I like the guy, but in the same sense wanting to protect our investment.

We can let Dalton go, but I'm not sure how much sense it makes to worry about an NFL QB with a record over .500 and 70 wins coaching Burrow when cutting Dalton leaves us with Dolegala who has never played a snap, Finley who is 0-2 (or is he 0-3? Who cares), a QB coach who doesn't even have a wikipedia entry so I assume he's never been a pro QB, and a HC in Zac Taylor who couldn't even throw a single pass in the CFL.

If success at QB is what you are looking for in a mentor for Burrow, things are going to take a nosedive once he's gone.
Reply/Quote
We need to cut Dre and we will have plenty of $$$
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Cam Newton was cut and no one wanted to sign Winston.

They are both out there now.

Who would trade a decent draft pick for Andy when Cam and Winston are available for no draft pick?

Andy and Dre are both going to get cut which gives them money for rookies and enough to sign someone like Jason Peters and a decent backup QB
like Matt Moore.

The only way Dalton doesn't get cut is if they cut/trade Dre and also trade Carlos which makes no sense unless they have decided that Carlos is not a good long term part of the hybrid 3-4.

Two of these three will be gone.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 10:35 AM)corpjet Wrote: We need to cut Dre and we will have plenty of $$$

Dre gets us back to a balanced checkbook, maybe another cheap signing.  If they want any more descent deals on the market, or extensions for Mixon and possibly Green they have to cur Dalton.  

Nobody has the space or reason to deal even a 7th for Dalton, its hard to see a contract swap match either.  Just comes down to timing of both cuts.  
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 01:00 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Lol, if you're the franchise QB, and the team makes it known midway through a season that you're not their man going forward, are you really willing to restructure for their benefit?  C'mnon man, get real..   Mellow

That's what I'm saying... Not only would I tell them to get ******, I'd take less money to be a backup elsewhere.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 11:31 AM)jason Wrote: That's what I'm saying... Not only would I tell them to get ******, I'd take less money to be a backup elsewhere.

That's because you would be taking it personally. EVERY QB knows they have a shelf life and art some point they are going to be replaced. It's business, it's not personal. 
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 11:37 AM)Sled21 Wrote: That's because you would be taking it personally. EVERY QB knows they have a shelf life and art some point they are going to be replaced. It's business, it's not personal. 

He took less than market value for the team in 2014... 2 seasons later Marvin Jones and Sanu are replaced by Brandon Lafell. Whitworth is replaced by 2 utter busts. Zeitler walks. The Bengals hire an unproven head coach who talks a good game, but doesn't really coach one. The team starts 0-8, and looks really bad doing so. Dalton is benched to see what we have in a 4th rounder... The head coach doesn't turn over play calling responsibility. The same coach who refused to target a TE against the team that couldn't cover a TE. QB sneak from the shotgun on 4th and 1... That coach.

So the implication is that it's Dalton's fault... Oh! AND the team decides to spend on impact free agents on Dalton's way out the door? They do that now that they're at the bottom of the barrel instead of when they were legit contenders 5 years ago? You're right; it is personal.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 11:31 AM)jason Wrote: That's what I'm saying... Not only would I tell them to get ******, I'd take less money to be a backup elsewhere.

Agreed.  Andy is a great guy with a huge heart, but he needs to start looking out for his own best interest.  Unless he simply just wants to retire from football and pursue other interests, which I'm positive that he's smart and talented enough to do.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 01:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Agreed.  Andy is a great guy with a huge heart, but he needs to start looking out for his own best interest.  Unless he simply just wants to retire from football and pursue other interests, which I'm positive that he's smart and talented enough to do.

When you look back on Andy's career, it takes a helluva lot of stretching to come to the conclusion that the Bengals did significant wrong to him.   Yes, they lost weapons and screwed the pooch on his line.  Granted.   Happens all over the league to all kinds of QBs.  Anybody ever heard of Russell Wilson?   Aaron Rodgers?  Andrew Luck?  Were they all disrespected?

But did he ever lose his job after a piss poor game?  Did they draft his replacement after yet another terrible playoff performance? 

They didn't make him the highest paid QB in the league.  No doubt about that.  But should they have?

Going back to last year, when so many claim he should have been traded...the only team I can even think of who needed a QB for a playoff run was the Steelers.  You know, the team that has pretty much owned Andy for his entire career.  Were they gonna make that trade and take take on his salary?  And the Bengals were damn sure never going to help the Steelers get into the playoffs.  Foolish to think they would.

Basically, this idea that the Bengals have done some great wrong to Andy Dalton is utter horse shit.  This is the NFL.  Feelings don't apply.

Reply/Quote