Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
if we have to cut Dalton
(03-28-2020, 05:56 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Can someone explain to me what that exactly means salary cap wise if we are forced to release him? We still have to pay out his contract but it does  not count against the cap ?  does some one else have to sign him and pick up his contract in order for us to not have a salary cap hit?

I don't think the Bengals have to pay Andy one red cent if they cut him and we save all the cap space; I don't think he has a guaranteed contract. That's why you see so many front loaded contracts and big signing bonuses in the NFL. The reason teams haven't traded for Andy is because no one wants to give up anything for him and take on that 17+ million for him in 2020. Andy and his agent could redo his final year and play for less, making a trade more desirable for another team but Andy has to be willing to take less. At this point the Bengals should just hold on to him until after the draft, maybe his stock rises a little, but I doubt it. My guess is, he is cut after the draft and Dalton signs with somebody else for a much lower salary, small to no chance he resigns with us to be Burrow's backup.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 02:10 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: I don't think the Bengals have to pay Andy one red cent if they cut him and we save all the cap space; I don't think he has a guaranteed contract. That's why you see so many front loaded contracts and big signing bonuses in the NFL. The reason teams haven't traded for Andy is because no one wants to give up anything for him and take on that 17+ million for him in 2020. Andy and his agent could redo his final year and play for less, making a trade more desirable for another team but Andy has to be willing to take less. At this point the Bengals should just hold on to him until after the draft, maybe his stock rises a little, but I doubt it. My guess is, he is cut after the draft and Dalton signs with somebody else for a much lower salary, small to no chance he resigns with us to be Burrow's backup.

Totally agree.  Even though Andy doesn't seem like an overly prideful guy, nobody wants to go from top dog to second banana and stay in that locker room after nine years.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2020, 09:26 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Cut him for a bag of Lays Flaming hot potatoe chips.

[Image: 1839970327-qAdyjQo.png]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 02:04 PM)McC Wrote: When you look back on Andy's career, it takes a helluva lot of stretching to come to the conclusion that the Bengals did significant wrong to him.   Yes, they lost weapons and screwed the pooch on his line.  Granted.   Happens all over the league to all kinds of QBs.  Anybody ever heard of Russell Wilson?   Aaron Rodgers?  Andrew Luck?  Were they all disrespected?

But did he ever lose his job after a piss poor game?  Did they draft his replacement after yet another terrible playoff performance? 

They didn't make him the highest paid QB in the league.  No doubt about that.  But should they have?

Going back to last year, when so many claim he should have been traded...the only team I can even think of who needed a QB for a playoff run was the Steelers.  You know, the team that has pretty much owned Andy for his entire career.  Were they gonna make that trade and take take on his salary?  And the Bengals were damn sure never going to help the Steelers get into the playoffs.  Foolish to think they would.

Basically, this idea that the Bengals have done some great wrong to Andy Dalton is utter horse shit.  This is the NFL.  Feelings don't apply.

This.

Dalton kept his starting job here FAR longer than he would on most other teams.

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 03:09 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: [Image: 1839970327-qAdyjQo.png]

Prefer flaming hot but I’ll take it !
Reply/Quote
What is Dalton’s current contract potential? He probably won’t be handed a starting job, maybe signed to complete for a starting job. What’s that worth? 6-10 Mil a year? What are the thoughts of the Bengals trying to sign him to say 2 years to be a Kitna type backup? He could be a mentor and be a very good plan B if there would be an injury or for some odd Bengals type luck that Burrow doesn’t translate to the NFL. He could be a nice insurance policy to have if the price is right.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 04:50 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: What is Dalton’s current contract potential? He probably won’t be handed a starting job, maybe signed to complete for a starting job. What’s that worth? 6-10 Mil a year? What are the thoughts of the Bengals trying to sign him to say 2 years to be a Kitna type backup? He could be a mentor and be a very good plan B if there would be an injury or for some odd Bengals type luck that Burrow doesn’t translate to the NFL. He could be a nice insurance policy to have if the price is right.

No way to know for sure, but imo, the Bengals are only an option for him if there are no other options.  Nobody wants to work where they were just demoted if they have any alternatives.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 05:21 PM)McC Wrote: No way to know for sure, but imo, the Bengals are only an option for him if there are no other options.  Nobody wants to work where they were just demoted if they have any alternatives.

I agree that Andy will want a shot at starting before signing with the Bengals but I’m curious as to if the fans here would want to pay top back up QB money to keep him if it were a possibility.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 08:01 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I agree that Andy will want a shot at starting before signing with the Bengals but I’m curious as to if the fans here would want to pay top back up QB money to keep him if it were a possibility.

In light of the Bengals saying they would spend and did, it seems to me that if they keep Dalton's salary around, fans would almost certainly be thinking that would be money that couldn't be spent on other players.  For that reason, I'd have to think fans wouldn't be too happy about keeping him as a high priced backup.

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 08:04 PM)McC Wrote: In light of the Bengals saying they would spend and did, it seems to me that if they keep Dalton's salary around, fans would almost certainly be thinking that would be money that couldn't be spent on other players.  For that reason, I'd have to think fans wouldn't be too happy about keeping him as a high priced backup.

I do not want a backup QB to make 17 million, but I do want a backup capable of winning if Burrow goes down. Our QB room once AD leaves is way to young. So question is how much will a high caliber back up cost and 2nd question is which 2nd year QB di we cut once sign a back up?

My guess is we keep Finley and back up QB costs us at least 6 million a year or we risk watching our season tank if Joe gets hurt. Bridgewater won like 5 games in a row when Brees went down, our current backups may not be capable of winning one.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 08:21 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I do not want a backup QB to make 17 million, but I do want a backup capable of winning if Burrow goes down. Our QB room once AD leaves is way to young. So question is how much will a high caliber back up cost and 2nd question is which 2nd year QB di we cut once sign a back up?

My guess is we keep Finley and back up QB costs us at least 6 million a year or we risk watching our season tank if Joe gets hurt. Bridgewater won like 5 games in a row when Brees went down, our current backups may not be capable of winning one.

I would think a decent backup could be had for 7-10 million tops.  That seven to ten mil saved could sign more than one player or even one pretty damn good one.

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 11:31 AM)jason Wrote: That's what I'm saying... Not only would I tell them to get ******, I'd take less money to be a backup elsewhere.

And if no one signs you? Then you are basically retired. Cause.its even worse odds that you would be signed the following year after sitting out a year. I'd rather take a pay cut and still make 8 mil per year and with that salary I would be more tradable next year. That is if I want to keep playing. It not then retire now and forget about it.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 08:46 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: And if no one signs you? Then you are basically retired. Cause.its even worse odds that you would be signed the following year after sitting out a year. I'd rather take a pay cut and still make 8 mil per year and with that salary I would be more tradable next year. That is if I want to keep playing. It not then retire now and forget about it.

Exactly. Sit on the bench and put another 8 million in the bank, and if Burrow fails or gets hurt, you're the starter again. Or, look at it this way, sign on as backup, then beat him for the starting gig in camp.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 09:22 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Exactly. Sit on the bench and put another 8 million in the bank, and if Burrow fails or gets hurt, you're the starter again. Or, look at it this way, sign on as backup, then beat him for the starting gig in camp.

With a shortened off season, there won't be time to conduct a QB competition.   Burrow has to pretty much get all the reps.

Reply/Quote
I'm starting to think our best bet is for a trade down the road. Some team is going to take a QB and there's a chance he doesn't pan out. Or gets injured. Then we've got a chance to unload Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2020, 09:46 PM)Benton Wrote: I'm starting to think our best bet is for a trade down the road. Some team is going to take a QB and there's a chance he doesn't pan out. Or gets injured. Then we've got a chance to unload Dalton.

I mentioned the exact same thing about three weeks ago, and the "boards football experts" , decided to "edjumacate" me on how this would never be the case. Then they went on about how 17 mill is too much for a backup QB. I agree! That said, I tried to explain that MB may just decide to keep him, and I gave the reasons.
Obviously, best case scenario for all involved is a trade, but so far 2020 doesn't desire to fit the mold on anything, at all!!!!
Reply/Quote
Re-structure for 8 mil and then trade him at deadline for a pick.

Reply/Quote