Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
if you could have.....
If you could have drafted one player to the Bengals who would it have been?

Anytime in the history of Bengal football if you had the choice. Who would have been that one draft pick you would have taken?

Think about the team around the pick. Whether the pick was available. Needs. Blah blah all that, and tell us why.

If the player would not have been available at our pick. Sell us on the trade you would have worked out to get it done.
Reply/Quote
Ray Lewis. I hate his "I praise the Lord now that I got away with it" ass, but he was the single most dominant player I have ever seen that made every player around him work harder and play smarter.

His performance in the Super Bowl against the Giants was amazing. It was almost like he could have been the only Raven on the field for the defense and he would have been able to stop them.

I can't stand the guy, but I want a Super Bowl win and I think he could have been that spark.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2015, 09:23 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Ray Lewis.  I hate his "I praise the Lord now that I got away with it" ass, but he was the single most dominant player I have ever seen that made every player around him work harder and play smarter.  

His performance in the Super Bowl against the Giants was amazing.  It was almost like he could have been the oinly Raven on the field for the defense and he would have been able to stop them.  

I can't stand the guy, but I want a Super Bowl win and I think he could have been that spark.

Definitely a great choice. First ballot hall of famer for sure.

That would have been interesting because if we took Willie Anderson with first pick. Then traded up to get lewis at pick #26 .

From looks of it the rest of our picks that year after anderson for lewis would have been awesome. And LB was a position of need. I think we had Francis and tovar then.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2015, 09:16 AM)livebythe10 Wrote: If you could have drafted one player to the Bengals who would it have been?

Anytime in the history of Bengal football if you had the choice. Who would have been that one draft pick you would have taken?

Think about the team around the pick. Whether the pick was available. Needs. Blah blah all that, and tell us why.

If the player would not have been available at our pick. Sell us on the trade you would have worked out to get it done.

They (and a lot of other teams) passed on Dan Marino. No question biggest mistake in franchise history.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
Reggie White. Drafted 1st round in the supplemental draft for 1984 by Green Bay.
They finished 8-8 in 83, we finished 7-9.
Would've been a big help to our teams that we fielded in the mid to late 80's. Might have even helped us get to another SB in that time frame before the 90's kicked in.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2015, 09:43 AM)xxlt Wrote: They (and a lot of other teams) passed on Dan Marino. No question biggest mistake in franchise history.

Yes. That year we took a center with our first pick, Dave Rimington, then took a QB our 5th round pick.
Jeff christensen .

In actuality we could have gotten Dan Marino and Charles Mann in that draft.

Although we did have Kenny Anderson still but drafted boomer the very next year.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2015, 09:54 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Reggie White. Drafted 1st round in the supplemental draft for 1984 by Green Bay.
They finished 8-8 in 83, we finished 7-9.
Would've been a big help to our teams that we fielded in the mid to late 80's. Might have even helped us get to another SB in that time frame before the 90's kicked in.

Oh I loved Reggie white. He would break you in half then take a knee and pray for you :)

I didn't realize he was a supp. Draft pick. Definitely worth the risk and would have been great for us.

*edit*
We would have had to given up a 1st round in next draft for selecting him.

We took Eddie brown and Emanuel king in the 1st round that year. I would have swapped the king pick for him. Hands down.
Reply/Quote
Tom Brady or Joe Montana 8 Super Bowls between the two of them...take your pick.
[Image: bey.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2015, 10:15 AM)Steeler Eater Wrote: Tom Brady or Joe Montana 8 Super Bowls between the two of them...take your pick.

2 good picks. Both were heavily overlooked. Slipping very far into the draft And both are hall of fame QBs.
Reply/Quote
Yeah, I agree with picking Dan Marino. With his quick release he wouldn't have needed a great line and when the opposing defense shows blitz, Dan just says "Please!"
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
We didn't have a chance to nab him but I always wondered what our defense would have look like with Revis had the jets not jumped in front of us, more recent.
Child please, kiss the baby.
Reply/Quote
I don't see how drafting a player into this organization would make that big of a difference.

Now, if only Paul Brown made Bill Walsh head coach, that's a different story.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
I'll go recent history and give you one that still bugs me to this date:

Not taking Vince Wilfork at #17 in the 2003 draft. It still drives me nuts to this day. We had a huge need at DT and we moved down to take Chris Perry.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2015, 01:47 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I don't see how drafting a player into this organization would make that big of a difference.

Do you really think that?

You don't think that taking Tony Boselli instead of Ki-Jana Carter would have made a difference? Or Warren Sapp? Or Champ Bailey instead of Akili Smith?
Reply/Quote
I can't blame someone for picking Ray Lewis for his leadership and dominant play, but an elite QB would easily have the greatest impact.

I'd choose Peyton Manning. I'm really not sure if Montana or Brady would've worked out with the Bengals. Manning was pretty much a can't miss. Plus he's never been caught up in a cheating scandal like Brady (twice) and tbh, his playoff numbers are just as good as Brady's. Personally, I think Peyton would have 5-6 rings if he'd been with the Patriots all these years.

Imagine a 5 time MVP QB on some of these Bengals' teams we've had. I don't think 3-4 super bowl wins would be out of the question.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Have to go with Peyton Manning. He would've rendered Bob Bratkowski useless.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2015, 02:26 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I can't blame someone for picking Ray Lewis for his leadership and dominant play, but an elite QB would easily have the greatest impact.

I'd choose Peyton Manning. I'm really not sure if Montana or Brady would've worked out with the Bengals. Manning was pretty much a can't miss. Plus he's never been caught up in a cheating scandal like Brady (twice) and tbh, his playoff numbers are just as good as Brady's. Personally, I think Peyton would have 5-6 rings if he'd been with the Patriots all these years.

Imagine a 5 time MVP QB on some of these Bengals' teams we've had. I don't think 3-4 super bowl wins would be out of the question.

I like manning. What would the trade have looked like for us to be able to move up to get him?

It would have taken a lot but what do you think would be the offer the colts agreed upon to give up their pick.

This was first instance of someone choosing a pick that high. Others we actually could have drafted pretty much, but manning is big.

Step us thru the mega deal you pulled off to get him here.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2015, 01:53 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I'll go recent history and give you one that still bugs me to this date:

Not taking Vince Wilfork at #17 in the 2003 draft.  It still drives me nuts to this day.  We had a huge need at DT and we moved down to take Chris Perry.

Great example
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2015, 01:47 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I don't see how drafting a player into this organization would make that big of a difference.

Head coaching move. To make the difference. Interesting.
Reply/Quote
1993 -

1) Willie Roaf instead of John Copeland
2) Michael Strahan instead of Tony McGee
3 ) Will Shields instead of Steve Tovar
3) John Lynch instead of Ty Parten
Reply/Quote