Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
interior D Line
Did we screw up by not drafting or signing another interior D Lineman that can get after the QB? Was reading all the pre season hype about Zach Carter bulking up etc and ready to make the next step but so far I have not noticed him.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2023, 11:01 AM)kalibengal Wrote: Did we screw up by not drafting or signing another interior D Lineman that can get after the QB?  Was reading all the pre season hype about Zach Carter bulking up etc and ready to make the next step but so far I have not noticed him.

Ossai will be back shortly
Reply/Quote
He didn't make any splash plays that I recall, but PFF had him ranked as our fourth best defender at 69.4 fwiw.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2023, 11:01 AM)kalibengal Wrote: Did we screw up by not drafting or signing another interior D Lineman that can get after the QB?  Was reading all the pre season hype about Zach Carter bulking up etc and ready to make the next step but so far I have not noticed him.

He had a decent game Sunday. I'm just not sure he's a major impact guy. 

Interior defensive line pass rush has been an issue since Larry O left a couple years ago and they haven't done much to address it with proven talent. 

This team is getting to the point where they are REALLY relying on draft picks to take the next step in order to fill holes cheaply. That's one of the effects of having a few guys on the team that are going to take up a lot of the cap. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2023, 11:01 AM)kalibengal Wrote: Did we screw up by not drafting or signing another interior D Lineman that can get after the QB? Was reading all the pre season hype about Zach Carter bulking up etc and ready to make the next step but so far I have not noticed him.

He had a few pressures and tipped the pass (in space, at that) that led to the Dax INT.

He'll be fine.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

Zach Carter had 1 pressure and 1 PD in the game.

BJ Hill had 2 total pressures

Reader had 3 total pressures

Cam Sample had 3 total pressures inc. 1 sack.

Hendrickson had 4 total pressures inc. 1 sack.

Hubbard had 2 total pressures.

In total, 15 total pressures inc. 2 sacks.

Given the fact the Browns only tried to pass 35 times, I feel 15 total pressures is decent, no?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
From what I saw, Carter was much more effective than BJ Hill, who was pushed sideways across the field on a couple of big runs that cutback right through his position. But I only watched that game once and have no interest in going back to watch it again.

Not even saying he should be starting over BJ based on one game, but, so far, Carter does look better than last year's ''meh'' rookie season.

I do love watching DJ Reader push past two guys on almost every single pass play when he's on the field. That guy is such a force on that D-line. It's no wonder why Pratt took off last year when Reader came back from injury.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Bitonio and Teller are two of the best guards in the NFL so I am actually surprised we had as much success inside as we did to be honest.
Reply/Quote

We just don't have enough high picks to address all these spots. DLineman that can get pressure are hard to find in the draft at any pick.

The way the modern NFL is, you need that guy that can collapse the pocket.

Reader is great against the run, but doesn't really get that pass rushing push. Which may help us keep him.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2023, 04:17 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We just don't have enough high picks to address all these spots. DLineman that can get pressure are hard to find in the draft at any pick.

The way the modern NFL is, you need that guy that can collapse the pocket.

Reader is great against the run, but doesn't really get that pass rushing push. Which may help us keep him.

Reader actually does get some pressure, he just never gets the sack.

Last year, he had 23 total pressures on just 396 defensive snaps in the regular season.
BJ Hill had 34 but on more than double the snaps.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2023, 11:37 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Zach Carter had 1 pressure and 1 PD in the game.

BJ Hill had 2 total pressures

Reader had 3 total pressures

Cam Sample had 3 total pressures inc. 1 sack.

Hendrickson had 4 total pressures inc. 1 sack.

Hubbard had 2 total pressures.

In total, 15 total pressures inc. 2 sacks.

Given the fact the Browns only tried to pass 35 times, I feel 15 total pressures is decent, no?

Adding onto this, Hendrickson's 2021 season where he had 14.0 sacks, he had 75 total pressures.
Hendrickson is on pace for being just under 70 total pressures if he stick to ~4 pressures a game.

Javon Hargrave, a very good IDL, had 57 total pressures last year. Buckner had 56 total pressures, and he's considered a very good IDL pass rusher.
So we should expect/hope that a good pass rushing IDL would get to ~50 total pressures if able to play most of the year.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2023, 03:30 PM)Au165 Wrote: Bitonio and Teller are two of the best guards in the NFL so I am actually surprised we had as much success inside as we did to be honest.

Agreed, we need a little more sample size to make good assessments. 
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2023, 04:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Reader actually does get some pressure, he just never gets the sack.

Last year, he had 23 total pressures on just 396 defensive snaps in the regular season.
BJ Hill had 34 but on more than double the snaps.

DJ is double teamed on almost every snap. BJ is not.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2023, 11:04 AM)Wyche Wrote: He didn't make any splash plays that I recall, but PFF had him ranked as our fourth best defender at 69.4 fwiw.

Somebody usually puts a post up on here with PFF ratings after the games. I didn’t see any for the Browns game on here. I guess it was that bad ? I figure the defense had some decent ratings. 
Reply/Quote
Browns have a very good OL. Now the Ravens are coming in wounded, missing 2 starting OL, LT and center. Hopefully our DL can cause some havoc against the Ravens. But, we will have our hands full containing Jackson who can create when things break down.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Let's see how they do vs Ravens depleted OL.
LT Stanley and C Linderbaum ruled out
Reply/Quote
This is probably the best Bengals DL group I have seen.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 01:13 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: This is probably the best Bengals DL group I have seen.

None of them are Geno Atkins.

Atkins, Dunlap, Johnson, Peko, with Gilberry as the first DE off the bench has gotta be it for me.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Bumb
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Extremely disappointed with the DL today. Burrow was the biggest reason we lost, but the pass rush was pretty pathetic against 2 backups. Felt like Lamar had 10 seconds on some of those plays.

Reply/Quote