Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iphone fm transmitter for car
(05-12-2019, 08:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Buying my daughter a car.  Her only requirements were good gas mileage and a USB port so she can play music off her iPhone.  I am looking at Corollas and Civics for about $7K.  Most of these cars are '10 or '11, and many of them don't have USB port.  I looked online and you can get a little gadget called an "iPhone FM transmitter" that you plug into the phone and it will play through the car FM stereo.  Anyone know anything about these things?  Are there and glitches or tricks that I should no about before buying one?

There seem to be 2 different types.  One plugs into the phone and the other plugs into the car power outlet (what used to house the cigarette lighter).  Again, do any of you know the difference or which one works better.

I know this has to be a very common problem now that everyone gets their music from their phones, so I am pretty sure these things work.  But I just know nothing about them and there are tons of options on amazon.

Got one for my 07 pilot and ended up pitching it. Too hard to find a channel in Cincinnati that doesn't have interference from other channels. Plus, as another person said, as you drive signals wax and wane for interference.

This site helped me find the "blankest" https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/vacant but I was unhappy overall with the one that I had that plugged into the cig lighter.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2019, 03:20 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: It has nothing to do with buying a car for your kids now days or back in his day.  It was about buying a car with these added features too, not just happy with the car itself

Still has nothing to do with "back in the day".  Kids have always made requests and the parents that had the means asked their children what they wanted.  Why the hell should I not have asked my daughter what she wanted?

BTW I bought her an 11 year old Corolla.  I know a lot of people I went to school with that got much better cars than that "back in the day".
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2019, 04:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Still has nothing to do with "back in the day".  Kids have always made requests and the parents that had the means asked their children what they wanted.  Why the hell should I not have asked my daughter what she wanted?

BTW I bought her an 11 year old Corolla.  I know a lot of people I went to school with that got much better cars than that "back in the day".

Whatever Rick. You’re being obtuse just to be obtuse. The general gist was was back in the day kids were happy to get a car. Period. Now their only getting a car with c, y and z.

And sure you should have asked what she wanted and good for you for providing her a car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2019, 02:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It has nothing to do with "now days".  Lots of people bought cars for their kids when you were 16.

Yes, yes how could I forget the privileged kids who's parents bought them cars?  All the well to do kids either got really cool new cars, or very nice "hand me down" cars when it was time for Mom or Dad to get a new one.  I wasn't one of those guys, I had to buy my own junker.  At $3.35/hr. that was a lot of saving to get that piece of shit..  We had class separation back in those days, too.  Ninja 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2019, 08:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Buying my daughter a car.  Her only requirements were good gas mileage and a USB port so she can play music off her iPhone.  I am looking at Corollas and Civics for about $7K.  Most of these cars are '10 or '11, and many of them don't have USB port.  I looked online and you can get a little gadget called an "iPhone FM transmitter" that you plug into the phone and it will play through the car FM stereo.  Anyone know anything about these things?  Are there and glitches or tricks that I should no about before buying one?

There seem to be 2 different types.  One plugs into the phone and the other plugs into the car power outlet (what used to house the cigarette lighter).  Again, do any of you know the difference or which one works better.

I know this has to be a very common problem now that everyone gets their music from their phones, so I am pretty sure these things work.  But I just know nothing about them and there are tons of options on amazon.

I have one it works well..  It will charge your IPhone/pad or Pod...   and broadcast it to the FM channel you choose.     So the only downside is having to find a static channel.. generally if you in the same area the same channel will work but when traveling you might have to occansionally adjust.

mine plugs from the cigarette lighter to the device.

plus the biggest thing is it keeps charging the phone or device which is excellent as my ipod is so old it must be plugged in to turn on.

Or get her a car with a tape deck... those things still work and she could use the cig lighter for charging.

only reason I don't use mine anymore is cause I cant find it lol
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2019, 12:48 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: These things are crap Fred.  It will live in her glovebox after about a month.  Book it.

George has the right idea.  Buy an aftermarket stereo that has the desired inputs.  

I installed a aux cord input into my 06 ridgeline, but had to pull a large portion of the dash in order to get to the XM plug I swapped it out for.  Thats an option too, but in this case I think a cheap aftermarket is the best bet.

big difference between a couple 100 dollar stereo and a 10 dollar plug
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2019, 05:41 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: big difference between a couple 100 dollar stereo and a 10 dollar plug

The one I bought my son was $30 on Amazon. I paid $4 extra for an adapter kit that I didn't need (all the connectors worked without any adapting). I liked that it was Bluetooth and he could do hands free calling with it.

Of course, the plug is less of a headache, but I grew up as a poor kid in the 90s... I changed out a ton of radios in crappy Camaros, Mustangs and Silverado trucks.
Reply/Quote
If you send me $100 cash or PayPal, I’ll be express deliver an adaptor your way. You can trust me.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Not sure if this will suit you needs or not Fred, but I just ordered one for myself to go on my travel headphones. I don't own bluetooth headphones, and we had an incident coming back from St. Martin a few weeks ago where the misses and I couldn't watch a movie together because the ipad would not allow both the headphone jack and her bluetooth have audio simultaneously. It will also allow my headphones to pair with my iphone7 that I always forget the dongle adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D8K76F4?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AgEAAAAAAAAAAUXR
Reply/Quote
This is similar to the one i bought. Not sure of the exact brand because it's in my son's car now.

It's a bluetooth receiver. Just pair it to your phone and you can listen to anything on the phone. No need to worry about fm transmitters and finding a good static station, etc. 

https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Bluetooth-Receiver-Microphone-Streaming/dp/B013QJ0W8Q/ref=sr_1_1?hsa_cr_id=9053905360901&keywords=bluetooth+audio+receiver&lp_asins=B013QJ0W8Q%2CB0728GP9XH%2CB01EHSX28M&lp_mat_key=bluetooth+car+receiver&lp_query=bluetooth+car+receiver&lp_slot=auto-sparkle-hsa-tetris&pf_rd_p=3fade48a-e699-4c96-bf08-bb772ac0e242&qid=1558312874&refinements=p_89%3ATaoTronics%2Cp_n_condition-type%3A6461716011&s=gateway&sb-ci-n=brandLogo&sb-ci-v=images%2FI%2F41kqwMjV5RL._SX120_SY120_.jpg&sr=8-1&store_ref=SB_A09320072O64D1BI208UF

I can't say for sure that this one will work for you, just that this is the route you will want to take. 

P.S. Duh. All i had to do was look up what i ordered on my Amazon account...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075JBLGLB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Melba, have a tough time making decisions do ya? The answer to your question was simple. You should have given YOUR car to your daughter and you should of bought another 10 year old vehicle for yourself. Case closed.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2019, 11:12 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: Not sure if this will suit you needs or not Fred, but I just ordered one for myself to go on my travel headphones.  I don't own bluetooth headphones, and we had an incident coming back from St. Martin a few weeks ago where the misses and I couldn't watch a movie together because the ipad would not allow both the headphone jack and her bluetooth have audio simultaneously.  It will also allow my headphones to pair with my iphone7 that I always forget the dongle adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D8K76F4?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AgEAAAAAAAAAAUXR

It is illegal to wear headphones while driving a car.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2019, 11:54 AM)fredtoast Wrote: It is illegal to wear headphones while driving a car.

True, but in your case I was referring to using the stereo phono jack of the bluetooth device to plug into an aux input if the car stereo has one, or even a cassette adapter if that is what you have available.

Just some thoughts to clear your hurdle...
Reply/Quote
Most car radios these days have at least a little hole to plug in ear phones.. Get a double ended plug for it and you can listen to anything from your phone on the car radio. Need a good source of cables and plugs? http://www.monoprice.com  Cheaper and much higher quality han any retailer I know of.. 
Something like this. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-End-3-5mm-TRS-Angled-Headphone-Jack-Audio-Cable-for-TV-MP3-Car-AUX-Sound/223056956062?hash=item33ef3b0a9e:g:QJ8AAOSw~TNbRlyb
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 12:50 PM)grampahol Wrote: Most car radios these days have at least a little hole to plug in ear phones.. Get a double ended plug for it and you can listen to anything from your phone on the car radio. Need a good source of cables and plugs? http://www.monoprice.com  Cheaper and much higher quality han any retailer I know of.. 
Something like this. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-End-3-5mm-TRS-Angled-Headphone-Jack-Audio-Cable-for-TV-MP3-Car-AUX-Sound/223056956062?hash=item33ef3b0a9e:g:QJ8AAOSw~TNbRlyb

That input is what I was referring to with my Bluetooth solution.

iphone 7 and above do not have a headphone jack, so you could plug the lightning dongle into the phone and use male to male cable, but then the phone cannot charge.  That's why I proposed the Bluetooth adapter plugged into that input on the car stereo.

I guess the best solution for Fred's case is going to be dependent on the model of phone.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 01:18 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: That input is what I was referring to with my Bluetooth solution.

iphone 7 and above do not have a headphone jack, so you could plug the lightning dongle into the phone and use male to male cable, but then the phone cannot charge.  That's why I proposed the Bluetooth adapter plugged into that input on the car stereo.

I guess the best solution for Fred's case is going to be dependent on the model of phone.

Thanks.

I have not used male-to-male cable since back in college.  

Not to mention plugging my dongle into anything.
Reply/Quote
Stay away from anything that works with FM transmitter. It's like listening to a FM channel you can't tune in. Either go with aux (can accept bluetooth) or buy her a bluetooth speaker.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote