Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
it's high time we moved on from Whitworth
(10-12-2016, 02:50 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: It's sad to see his career be reduced to being on the Bengals site, but his time is up.

I wouldn't extend him. I could see him having a good year or two in New England, but that's about it. His play will probably regress from here on out.

Then we could roll with Ogbugehi, Fisher, and some new blood. It might be rocky for awhile, but i'm sure a coach not named Paul could coach up some youngins to be good enough for a year or two. This proposal is assuming we get much needed coaching changes after this season. I want to see a culture change in the Bengals next year.

Blasphemy.

I hope Whit never takes a snap in another uniform and when he retires a Bengal, he immediately becomes the o-line coach and HC in waiting.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2016, 11:43 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: Blasphemy.

I hope Whit never takes a snap in another uniform and when he retires a Bengal, he immediately becomes the o-line coach and HC in waiting.

It sounds as if you like the guy, so why in the hell would you wish that on him?  You really want the guy to give up time with his family to sit in meeting rooms with Mike Brown for the next 25 years?  I know, I know... you're saying "Mike Brown is already 80, what are the chances he lives another 25 years"?  The Grim Reaper never dies...
Reply/Quote
I would like to see Whit move to RT and Ced to LT. Ced doesn't have the sand to be a RT in our system. We need big maulers (Andre, Willie, ect...) at RT and Ced might be athletic enough to turn into a fine LT. The get Fischer on a high carb diet until Whit is ready to hang up the cleats.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2016, 12:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I would like to see Whit move to RT and Ced to LT. Ced doesn't have the sand to be a RT in our system. We need big maulers (Andre, Willie, ect...) at RT and Ced might be athletic enough to turn into a fine LT. The get Fischer on a high carb diet until Whit is ready to hang up the cleats.

I might agree with you, but Ogbuehi looks really slow.  Like the NFL game is just too fast for him.  Dalton might get killed with that much pressure coming off his blind side.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2016, 11:33 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I get what the OP is saying.  You want to move on from a player a year early rather than a year late.  It's one of the things Belichick is best at, he always seems to know when to trade or release a guy.  That said, you don't do so when you don't have a replacement.  Chances are that you're already going to be replacing Zeitler and I don't think anyone really knows what we have in Oguehi or Fisher at this point.  Right there you've got two first round picks and a second.  Add in your best lineman, even if you are trying to avoid his decline, and it's just too much to try.

More or less. But it's also because I think it's what's best for both parties. Letting Whitworth shed blood elsewhere might revitalize him for an additional year so he can make that $.  Also, if we get much needed coaching changes, it could be hard for him to readjust from a system where he spent his entire career. Need new blood.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2016, 08:44 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I brought this scenario up, earlier this season.  By moving Whit and Boling each one slot right, you essentially make one of the strongest interior OLs in the league.  They can make an actual pocket for Andy to step up into, while the young, athletic Tackles can chase the DEs around the outside.  In the running game, you could see an incredible resurgence of Jeremy Hill ripping it through the middle of the line.

Wait. This is a brilliant idea. You're saying move Whitworth to left guard, put Boling at center, then leave Zeitler at right guard? Would you put Jake Fisher at left tackle and insert Eric Winston at right tackle?
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2016, 09:02 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Wait.  This is a brilliant idea.  You're saying move Whitworth to left guard, put Boling at center, then leave Zeitler at right guard?  Would you put Jake Fisher at left tackle and insert Eric Winston at right tackle?

Yes, yes I would.

Btw, I'd love to see the Bengals pick up either Thomas or Staley, since they're both being marketed for trade openly. However, giving up a 1st round pick for a top contract player, that is over 30, would just be counterproductive.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2016, 12:09 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I might agree with you, but Ogbuehi looks really slow.  Like the NFL game is just too fast for him.  Dalton might get killed with that much pressure coming off his blind side.

Again, I question the scouting and subsequent drafting of players by these coaches. Sad
Reply/Quote
Just a gut feeling, but I'm thinking Whit retires after this year. He turns 35 in December, which is ancient for an o-lineman, the team is currently struggling some, his position group is struggling, and he just got a concussion. Whit's a smart man, so I think he'll know it's a good time to walk away.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2016, 10:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Just a gut feeling, but I'm thinking Whit retires after this year. He turns 35 in December, which is ancient for an o-lineman, the team is currently struggling some, his position group is struggling, and he just got a concussion. Whit's a smart man, so I think he'll know it's a good time to walk away.

Truth has just been spoken here, I believe.

I'd hate it, but IF Whit does come back for one more year, it would be kind of a surprise to me too. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
Whit is not the problem but do believe it is high time to move along from PA and Bodine too.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2016, 02:50 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: It's sad to see his career be reduced to being on the Bengals site, but his time is up.

I wouldn't extend him. I could see him having a good year or two in New England, but that's about it. His play will probably regress from here on out.

Then we could roll with Ogbugehi, Fisher, and some new blood. It might be rocky for awhile, but i'm sure a coach not named Paul could coach up some youngins to be good enough for a year or two. This proposal is assuming we get much needed coaching changes after this season. I want to see a culture change in the Bengals next year.

The ignorance is strong with this one. Whit is playing as good as he ever has. Whit will leave when Whit wants to leave. If it gets harder for him at right tackle and he wants to continue to play, he can move to guard and dominate that position for another 4 or 5 years. Age is irrelevant when you have his experience and skills. Now if he wants to go that's a different scenario, but no, we are not cutting Whit. He will retire a Bengal....
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2016, 08:44 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I brought this scenario up, earlier this season.  By moving Whit and Boling each one slot right, you essentially make one of the strongest interior OLs in the league.  They can make an actual pocket for Andy to step up into, while the young, athletic Tackles can chase the DEs around the outside.  In the running game, you could see an incredible resurgence of Jeremy Hill ripping it through the middle of the line.

I like this except I'm not sure Boling can play Center well enough after not doing it for so long. If he could, that interior would be immovable.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2016, 10:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Just a gut feeling, but I'm thinking Whit retires after this year. He turns 35 in December, which is ancient for an o-lineman, the team is currently struggling some, his position group is struggling, and he just got a concussion. Whit's a smart man, so I think he'll know it's a good time to walk away.

I could see this happening.  He has made plenty of money, has a wife and young kids, at some point it's not worth the abuse that your body takes.
Reply/Quote
If Whit retires next year Fisher and Ced need to step their games up fast. I still have hope for Ced this is pretty much his rookie year. He missed all of camp last year recovering from the ACL and pretty much all of this years training camp with injuries as well as missing the preseason games. That fact that Fisher is in year two and can't beat out Winston for a backup spot scares me. Hopefully these two improve or this draft will set us back big time.
Reply/Quote
If Big Whit retires Mike is going to have to pay a vet to replace him it is as simple as that.

If not we are doomed.

Reply/Quote
lol Why are people so addicted to youth so much in sports? Cut our best lineman for a rookie just cause? Cmon guy
Reply/Quote
I don't know about this action of moving on.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 12:36 PM)Housh Wrote: lol Why are people so addicted to youth so much in sports? Cut our best lineman for a rookie just cause? Cmon guy

Dudes got a little grey in his beard and the kids want to send him packing. I fear for my future. Ninja

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 09:16 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I like this except I'm not sure Boling can play Center well enough after not doing it for so long. If he could, that interior would be immovable.

He already makes the blocking calls on the OL, not sure that it would be a tough transition for him.  Well, maybe shotgun snaps.  Not sure that UGA ran a high percentage of Shotgun, when he played Center there.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote