Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
latest from hobson
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Hobsons-Choice-staying-grade-true/b2cc04b2-6093-4fc1-b224-a358f0e2c292

1.) Yes I can blame the team for drafting OG because he sucks.
2.) if the Bengal don't trade AJ MC for anything from( if offered) a 3rd to a first their stupid and a comp pick shouldn't stop them from signing a decent backup.(seriously how the f would the front office be swayed by that)
3.) don't expect us to sign Zeitler he didn't even mention it.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2017, 01:21 AM)J24 Wrote: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Hobsons-Choice-staying-grade-true/b2cc04b2-6093-4fc1-b224-a358f0e2c292

2.) if the Bengal don't trade AJ MC for anything from a 3rd to a first their stupid and a comp pick shouldn't stop them from signing a decent backup.(seriously how the f would the front office be swayed by that)

Yep. Whitworth and Kirkpatrick look like the priorities.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2017, 01:21 AM)J24 Wrote: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Hobsons-Choice-staying-grade-true/b2cc04b2-6093-4fc1-b224-a358f0e2c292

2.) if the Bengal don't trade AJ MC for anything from a 3rd to a first their stupid and a comp pick shouldn't stop them from signing a decent backup.(seriously how the f would the front office be swayed by that)

We have never, that I can remember, paid a OG top dollar. Combine that history with Og's suckiness and you get a situation where the team simply is going to pay Whit and look to the draft to select a tackle and a new OG.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2017, 03:48 AM)BengalChris Wrote: We have never, that I can remember, paid a OG top dollar. Combine that history with Og's suckiness and you get a situation where the team simply is going to pay Whit and look to the draft to select a tackle and a new OG.
Look for the O line to still be pathetic in 2017.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2017, 01:21 AM)J24 Wrote: 2.) if the Bengal don't trade AJ MC for anything from a 3rd to a first their stupid and a comp pick shouldn't stop them from signing a decent backup.(seriously how the f would the front office be swayed by that)

I mean if we keep AJ this year and he walks next year and you still get the 3rd round comp pick, OK I see their argument. 

As for the other stuff, ideally we'd draft another Left Tackle this year to give Cedric Ogbuehi some competition. Whit may get re-signed but how long can he stay healthy and play without losing his A game? Maybe take a guy like Adam Bisnowaty in the 3rd. If Ced improves then that's fine too -- you now have an LT backup who can also play Guard. I doubt we'll go that way though. 

Reply/Quote
I don't understand why we wouldn't sign him? We have plenty of money to sign all 3?
Reply/Quote
I was bothered by the lack of a mention on Zeitler. They should certainly try to sign him. Just look what the terrible performance by the offensive line did to the first half of our season for 2016. My god, they can't risk that again, can they?

Now I think Fisher has a chance to make it. It's popular right now to lump him in with Ogbuehi, but I don't think that's fair. I thought he showed some possibilities when he got in there at the end of the season. He screwed up a little, yes, but I think if he started out at right tackle in training camp, he could be ready to hold the spot down by the start of the season. So if you hold onto Zeitler and get some continued improvement from Bodine, we might get some pretty good line play. But starting over at right guard just seems ridiculous.

Just hope they're not thinking of Ogbuehi at guard. I haven't seen anything out of him that indicates he's ready to be on an NFL field. I'd probably hold onto him until his rookie contract is finished, to give him a good shot, but by God he's got to earn it.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2017, 05:02 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: I mean if we keep AJ this year and he walks next year and you still get the 3rd round comp pick, OK I see their argument. 

As for the other stuff, ideally we'd draft another Left Tackle this year to give Cedric Ogbuehi some competition. Whit may get re-signed but how long can he stay healthy and play without losing his A game? Maybe take a guy like Adam Bisnowaty in the 3rd. If Ced improves then that's fine too -- you now have an LT backup who can also play Guard. I doubt we'll go that way though. 

In regards to your point about AJM and the compensatory pick, one advantage to trading him this year is you can decide where he goes.  Next year, he could go to Houston, and I would rather see him somewhere like SF.  

Now if Houston offered their first round pick?  Buh-bye.  
Reply/Quote
"It’s pretty clear looking at the last few years Bengals president Mike Brown is looking to win now."

I spit my coffee halfway across the kitchen after reading this. I'm pretty sure they're gonna do what they always do. Sign a couple bargain basement FA's, they'll retain all the dead weight (A.Jones, Peko, Maualuga, Bodine) cause they can do it on the cheap. All the clowns will stay on the coaching staff. They won't trade McCarron because of losing a comp pick two years from now !

All of which reinforces Hobspin's statement above so much. Ninja Hilarious
Reply/Quote
This team is beyond stupid if they turn down a 3rd rounder or higher for AJM. This team needs all the help it can get asap. Since we all know they will lose at least one starter to FA and not sign anyone (decent) to replace them, then they need all the day 1-2 picks they can get. AJM will not get a 3rd round comp pick for us unless he plays, and plays well, next season. Best we could hope for him would be to sign a 1-2 year 6-8 mil/yr prove it deal. That would likely get us a 4th rounder in 2019!!! We need players to try to fix this thing fast, not guys that won't have a shot at the field until 2019-2020. mike brown will probably be dead by then, so if he really wants to build a winner now is the time to grow a f****** pair
Reply/Quote
Hobson sounds like we might need the 45m cap on Whitworth, Whitworth, Whitworth.

Balls in his court.

As far as Zeitler, we should take his snub of him as a clear sign, but there's no reason we can' t get a deal done. Cutting Jones/ReyM would free up some cap if that's that big of an issue. Not sure what Marvin thinks has changed that would get us a playoff win in 2017.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
So we are drawing our conclusions from Hobson's Choice? The guy most of you relentlessly bash and try to discredit like he actually has something to do with how the team performs.

Once again a lot of people look too hard into what the Bengals choose to share with the public. You would think Hobson just shared our master plan. Hell you would think Hobson is in the room with Tobin and Marvin drawing up the plan.
Reply/Quote
I think Hobs is full of spin. But spin for the FO and a hint of things to come. I believe there's key notes to be taken out of his articles. Especially when it comes to offseason plans. Rather I agree or not.

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2017, 01:53 PM)jj22 Wrote: I think Hobs is full of spin. But spin for the FO and a hint of things to come. I believe there's key notes to be taken out of his articles. Especially when it comes to offseason plans. Rather I agree or not.

With the draft and FA around the corner the Bengals have nothing to gain and something to lose by having Hobson clued in on what the team is going to be doing this off-season and relaying it back to the fans.

31 other teams could be looking at our FAs. If Hobson is Hobspin why wouldn't he use some of that spinning ability to get other teams off of our trail?
Reply/Quote
I've wished for Hobs to be wrong many a offseasons. But he's always right in the end. Spot on on who we want to re-sign, and how the FO breaks down the cap to keep us only able to sign one key free agent, two if we're lucky. When it comes to understanding "model model". Hobs should be trusted.

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2017, 05:13 AM)Jpoore Wrote: I don't understand why we wouldn't sign him? We have plenty of money to sign all 3?

Because not signing him would save a ton of money...for Mikey's wallet.

(01-28-2017, 01:48 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: So we are drawing our conclusions from Hobson's Choice? The guy most of you relentlessly bash and try to discredit like he actually has something to do with how the team performs.

Once again a lot of people look too hard into what the Bengals choose to share with the public. You would think Hobson just shared our master plan. Hell you would think Hobson is in the room with Tobin and Marvin drawing up the plan.

Hobson isn't going to know everything, but the Bengals do influence what he talks about on their site. If he's not mentioning Zeitler, that's a pretty huge omission on his part, and it naturally leads one to believe if he's being omitted for obvious reasons. I'm pretty sure Hobs didn't simply forget about Zeitler. He chose not to mention him for some reason.

I don't personally go to bengals.com anymore, but from past experience reading Hobspin, you can usually get a bead on what the Bengals are thinking if you read between the lines of his articles. For example, he always defends players and coaches who wind up returning. If he doesn't defend/endorse someone, then it's possible they're gone.

Hobs' job is a little different than a typical journalist. Although he probably isn't privy to something like the Bengals draft board, he probably has info that most writers don't, and his job is most likely to put out "news" that the Bengals want their fans to hear.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2017, 11:11 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: "It’s pretty clear looking at the last few years Bengals president Mike Brown is looking to win now."

I spit my coffee halfway across the kitchen after reading this. I'm pretty sure they're gonna do what they always do. Sign a couple bargain basement FA's, they'll retain all the dead weight (A.Jones, Peko, Maualuga, Bodine) cause they can do it on the cheap. All the clowns will stay on the coaching staff. They won't trade McCarron because of losing a comp pick two years from now !

All of which reinforces Hobspin's statement above so much.  Ninja  Hilarious

The last couple of years are probably Mikey's idea of winning now.

I'm sure Mikey boy would like to win, as long as it doesn't require sticking his neck out too far from his comfort zone of extremely small manageable risks and personnel familiarity.

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2017, 02:22 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Because not signing him would save a ton of money...for Mikey's wallet.

Hobson isn't going to know everything, but the Bengals do influence what he talks about on their site. If he's not mentioning Zeitler, that's a pretty huge omission on his part, and it naturally leads one to believe if he's being omitted for obvious reasons. I'm pretty sure Hobs didn't simply forget about Zeitler. He chose not to mention him for some reason.

I don't personally go to bengals.com anymore, but from past experience reading Hobspin, you can usually get a bead on what the Bengals are thinking if you read between the lines of his articles. For example, he always defends players and coaches who wind up returning. If he doesn't defend/endorse someone, then it's possible they're gone.

Hobs' job is a little different than a typical journalist. Although he probably isn't privy to something like the Bengals draft board, he probably has info that most writers don't, and his job is most likely to put out "news" that the Bengals want their fans to hear.

That might be the way it is during the regular season but the Bengals would have to pretty stupid to have Hobson tip our hand during the off-season. If they are thinking that way during the regular season I think it would make sense for them to be aware enough to change gears in the off-season using Hobson in a different way trying to change the way teams are thinking about our approach.

There is just very little reasoning imo to be taking stock in any team's writers opinions or insights this time of year beyond just speculating. The Bengals have never been the type of franchise to give 2 craps about what their fans think about their off-season moves so I don't think they are trying to be people pleasers. If they are going to be influencing Hobson at this point in the year it's probably going to be a misdirection more than true glimpses into the teams plan. But who really knows?
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2017, 02:36 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: That might be the way it is during the regular season but the Bengals would have to pretty stupid to have Hobson tip our hand during the off-season. If they are thinking that way during the regular season I think it would make sense for them to be aware enough to change gears in the off-season using Hobson in a different way trying to change the way teams are thinking about our approach.

There is just very little reasoning imo to be taking stock in any team's writers opinions or insights this time of year beyond just speculating. The Bengals have never been the type of franchise to give 2 craps about what their fans think about their off-season moves so I don't think they are trying to be people pleasers. If they are going to be influencing Hobson at this point in the year it's probably going to be a misdirection more than true glimpses into the teams plan. But who really knows?

Fair points and it's possible either of us are right. Maybe a little of both. Like you say, who knows? I don't think neglecting to mention Zeitler gives away much if anything about the Bengals overall plans. Even if they don't keep Zeitler, it doesn't mean the Bengals are automatically going to take a guard high in the draft. They have options. Maybe not options fans would like, but options nonetheless.

I guess I just don't think opposing teams could gain much out of that info, even if they knew for sure Zeitler was gone. They'll know before the draft anyway. I don't think Hobson really panders to the fan base, but hinting at the possibility of Zeitler leaving might prepare some fans for his eventual departure. That way people aren't raging when they find out.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
The only important things Hobson talks about are the things we should already be conditioned to;

1) The Bengals will draft BPA regardless of need. They will stick to THEIR board (***** joke) and draft who they want.
2) The available cap space for the Bengals that is reported by anyone other than the Bengals is an out and out lie.
3) The Bengals cannot afford to sign their own free agents or any first month free agents from around the league.
4) The Bengals keeping the largest sum for the rookie wage scale, injuries, and rollover as opposed to using it to actually try to win now is smart.

There are probably a couple of other things, but those are spot on every goddamn year. Another 1st round CB that won't see any real playing time until year 3 at the earliest wouldn't surprise me. Neither would drafting a 3-4 end or 3-4 OLB to be a project edge rusher in 4-3. They'll draft whoever their 3 scouts (too much credit?) were able to watch YouTube highlights of even though the players may not be a fit in our system.

The cap space is what it is. As soon as the final hard figures are announced, Hobson will slice and dice at least half of it for rollover, rookies, and injuries. You know that comes straight from the team. Plus, we're lucky if the team even starts "kicking tires" in the first 2-3 weeks of free agency. Who doesn't look forward to coming to town to be lowballed and taken to Wendy's?

Sorry. I'll go ahead and stop while the Bengals are behind. This year, the team will do the same shit they've been doing while trying to have Hobson tell us this is finally the year.
Reply/Quote