Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
long snapper VS Center?
(09-13-2022, 10:39 AM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: Long snapping is a COMPLETELY different skillset. For the long snap, the speed and rotation of the ball are exponentially different than a standard center/qb exchange. Not many people can do this at the pro level consistently, which is why when teams find a good one they hold on to them for 14 years.

This could be far from the end of our Long Snapper problems.Long Snapper is a whole different skill-set.I hope this new guy works out,or we could have a re-play of what happened against the Steelers.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 03:31 PM)pally Wrote: Mitch Wilcox was the emergency long snapper.  He practices it.  But, what he doesn't get is game experience with nerves and adrenaline kicking in. He didn't make any egregious errors. He just doesn't do it regularly enough to have the timing down.  Just like your "emergency" kicker isn't going to be out there trying for a 50 yarder.  Logan Wilson, BTW, is the emergency kicker

Uh, I know he was the emergency LS and practices it. Because of that, the one that was slow is one thing that would be expected.

Pretty sure an emergency 50 yard kick is harder than a backup long snapping. 

It is something that I'm sure that the Bengals and other teams are thinking about have the back up practice more
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
.....Struggled with consistency and snapping the ball last season.....

This was in Trey Hill's bio as a draft prospect.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 12:47 PM)Whatever Wrote: FWIW, Simmons stated that the snap wasn't the issue on the PAT block.  Macpherson's timing was fine on the kick.  He put the blame on the protection on the left side, saying it was maybe 25% Sample's fault.  The other guy out there?  Adeniji.

And Adeniji had his arm knocked down by Highsmith, giving MF an open lane. Sample leaned to his left to get more of Sutton instead of throwing both hands out to help Adeniji, like you see on most PAT attempts. The snap was 1/10th of a second slower than usual and Fitzpatrick only got the fingers of his left hand on the ball. 

I honestly don't know wtf Simmons is talking about or who he's trying to protect/blame but so much of what he said is BS. Shooters timing was fine because he doesn't move until the ball is almost in Huber's hands, regardless of who is snapping. That's where his timing comes from. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 09:11 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: This could be far from the end of our Long Snapper problems.Long Snapper is a whole different skill-set.I hope this new guy works out,or we could have a re-play of what happened against the Steelers.

Since he was neck and neck with Clark in camp I suspect he will be fine.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 06:47 PM)CincinnatiKid Wrote: My son played the position in elementary and high school. We sent him to Rubios long snapping camp which is the premier long snapping and kicker camps. All Rubios does is churn out college prospects. Believe me when I say it’s a entirely different skill set. All I did was observe and I was amazed.

Thanks, makes sense that its a totally different type of snap on rotation, velocity etc. I really never thought about why we need basically 2 positions to snap a ball. 
Reply/Quote
Both the kicker and punter kick the ball...... why have 2..... Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 02:16 PM)Wyche Wrote: Cal was All American, and regarded as the best LS pre draft. I'm not worried either.

This guy might be the most underrated UDFA we have had honestly.

Clark Harris is our best LS ever, but this guy Cal Adomitis could be better and I am not kidding. Mellow
Reply/Quote