Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
making anything good July 4th?
I am off on the 4th. That doesn't happen often and I love it!
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2015, 09:51 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm not making anything this year, but that's because I will be doing plenty of eating. I volunteered to help with my city's celebration this year and I will be assisting with the BBQ cookoff. Real BBQ, mind you. My job in the morning will be to get the competitors all situated in their spots, and then I am going to judge when they are done. I get free food and free beer and it's going to be a glorious day.

No fair...
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2015, 02:23 PM)Harmening Wrote: No fair...

Sure it is. Smirk

I have been doing my best to be more engaged with the community. I have an appointed position on a local board for the city even. So I figured, hey, I'll volunteer to help with the cook off. When they discovered my affinity for pork and especially BBQ, they were offering me a spot on the panel.
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2015, 10:12 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Im going to cheat this time due to limited space. After smoking the ribs for a couple of hours, I was going to foil them with just brown sugar, honey, & squeezeable butter (like I see the BBQ pitmasters do lol), and then finish them in my oven at 275. I did this before, and they were almost fall off the bone with just the right amount of smoke. I think its a great method for beginners like myself that doesnt have a good smoker that keeps even temps.

You're not really cheating.....they quit taking on smoke after about two hours anyway....the second stage of the 2-2-1 is essentially the same thing as you're doing. I foil them, cider, butter, brown sugar, a little of my rub, and honey and back in the smoker at 250. The only difference, after that, I put them back in the smoker without foil to caramelize the last ingredients and "set" the ribs.

Hope you enjoy!

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Hope it doesn't rain. Throwing on some ribs, chicken, stuffed rock fish and jalapeño poppers.
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
Reply/Quote
I'm definitely doing some atomic buffalo turds.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2015, 07:33 PM)Wyche Wrote: You're not really cheating.....they quit taking on smoke after about two hours anyway....the second stage of the 2-2-1 is essentially the same thing as you're doing.  I foil them, cider, butter, brown sugar, a little of my rub, and honey and back in the smoker at 250.  The only difference, after that, I put them back in the smoker without foil to caramelize the last ingredients and "set" the ribs.

Hope you enjoy!

You're making me freakin' drool!  Stop it!   Tongue
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2015, 09:39 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: You're making me freakin' drool!  Stop it!   Tongue

Lol......well, come on down Saturday.....I won't be feeding ribs to forty people, too expensive, but I'll be smoking some Boston Butts for pulled pork.......and yes, I realize how naughty that sounds.  Oh behave! LOL

Reply/Quote
(07-02-2015, 10:02 AM)Wyche Wrote: Lol......well, come on down Saturday.....I won't feeding ribs to forty people, too expensive, but I'll be smoking some Boston Butts for pulled pork.......and yes, I realize how naughty that sounds.  Oh behave! LOL

If I wasn't already having some people over, you'd have yourself a deal.  I loves me some pulled pork too!
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2015, 10:12 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Im going to cheat this time due to limited space. After smoking the ribs for a couple of hours, I was going to foil them with just brown sugar, honey, & squeezeable butter (like I see the BBQ pitmasters do lol), and then finish them in my oven at 275. I did this before, and they were almost fall off the bone with just the right amount of smoke. I think its a great method for beginners like myself that doesnt have a good smoker that keeps even temps.

The "experts" may scoff, but I guarantee your grub will taste great.

To me it is really, really hard to make bad smoked pork.  As long as you don't cook it dry or make it too freaking hot I'll love it.  I like it spicy, but if you want it insane hot use your own extra hot sauce on the side.

Some may be better than other, but to me it is almost all pretty damn good.
Reply/Quote
My friend just text me and said that Montgomery Inn has all-you-can-eat ribs tomorrow, Saturday, and Sunday........... so probably won't do it on the fourth, but it's a hell of a deal!
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2015, 11:30 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The "experts" may scoff, but I guarantee your grub will taste great.

To me it is really, really hard to make bad smoked pork.  As long as you don't cook it dry or make it too freaking hot I'll love it.  I like it spicy, but if you want it insane hot use your own extra hot sauce on the side.

You're right fred.....and all that really matters is that your freinds and family enjoy it....hell with the experts.

Reply/Quote
(07-02-2015, 08:07 PM)Wyche Wrote: You're right fred.....and all that really matters is that your freinds and family enjoy it....hell with the experts.

Bingo.  We always hear of these "rules" of cooking.  Eff that, if I cook it, and my family enjoys it, then I did it the right way.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2015, 11:30 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The "experts" may scoff, but I guarantee your grub will taste great.

Yup! My thing is to make sure it gets enough smoke but not too much, and then be moist and tender come feeding time.  The one thing the experts would scoff at is that they will probably be too tender, but a lot of people like ribs better when the meat just pulls off the bone as opposed to a slight tug on the bite. I try to not let the meat just fall off, but the chances go way up when the ribs get wrapped. And if they do oh well, it's like awesome pulled pork ribs then. 
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(07-02-2015, 08:07 PM)Wyche Wrote: You're right fred.....and all that really matters is that your freinds and family enjoy it....hell with the experts.

Well heres another thing. Once I get the right amount of smoke into whatever it is, then it goes into the oven where I can just forget about it. I dont have to make sure the temp is even, adding fuel, etc. Literally frees up a few hours while the end result is basically no different than finishing it in the smoker. But I also will get my Weber going pretty hot with some wood chunks in it, and will sauce the ribs after they are done in the oven and just place them in there for a few minutes getting that fresh smoke taste to them while making the sauce gooeyer.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(07-02-2015, 11:01 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Well heres another thing. Once I get the right amount of smoke into whatever it is, then it goes into the oven where I can just forget about it. I dont have to make sure the temp is even, adding fuel, etc. Literally frees up a few hours while the end result is basically no different than finishing it in the smoker. But I also will get my Weber going pretty hot with some wood chunks in it, and will sauce the ribs after they are done in the oven and just place them in there for a few minutes getting that fresh smoke taste to them while making the sauce gooeyer.

Yeah....agreed.  I often do the whole thing on the smoker, it's kind of a hobby.....but if I'm pressed for time, or have other things to do, I'll finish it off in the oven.  No shame in it.  In fact, on the rare instances I do brisket, I always finish in the oven in foil because it gives me the best results and brisket is so fickle.

My smoker holds 200-250 temps for up to six hours at a time, depending on ambient temps, though.....so it's not a big deal for me.

Reply/Quote