Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mlb draft
Hard to believe that the draft for baseball is only about a month away. The draft is said to be weak in pitching and stronger in hitters. The Reds draft 7th, and then 49th. The Reds traded a pick in the 30's, a competitive balance pick, to the Yankees this year. Early forecasts are predicting the Reds take the LHP from TCU. Here is a list of some of the top prospects...

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=draft
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Hate to say so, but I wouldn't be too shocked if they pick another 3rd baseman first..even if it's not a top priority.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I don’t really follow College Baseball but it would be nice to get a College starting pitcher that slots in that area.
Reply/Quote
Yea, I don't follow college baseball in the slightest. I would love to see us draft a good college pitcher though. Our starting pitching this year has been surprising, but I still would like to see some young guns coming up through the minors (currently, all we're looking at is Santillan, Gutierrez and eventually Greene as legitimate starting pitching prospects). And all three of them are right handers. So a left handed college pitcher would be quite the valuable prospect!
Reply/Quote
If I remember correctly, after the 2018 draft, Cincinnati commented on selecting mostly field players two years ago, they went with mostly pitching last year and they were going to focus on field players again for this draft. But that was a year ago. They may have seen a couple of stud arms pop up that they didn't expect.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Am I the only one who has a gut feeling Greene will become a relief closer when it's all said and done? He wouldn't be the first pitcher they did that move with.. Too bad he's not Cuban.

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-23-2019, 06:09 PM)grampahol Wrote: Am I the only one who has a gut feeling Greene will become a relief closer when it's all said and done? He wouldn't be the first pitcher they did that move with.. Too bad he's not Cuban.

Maybe that would be a better role for him.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Most draftniks have the Reds picking pitcher Lodolo first out of TCU.. After that it's anyone's guess..  I'd love to see Vaughn or Witt Jr fall to us, but that ain't happening..

Reply/Quote
I'd like to see them get the pitcher from TCU. Get a college arm that won't need to be in the minors for the next 4 years.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2019, 12:38 AM)samhain Wrote: I'd like to see them get the pitcher from TCU.  Get a college arm that won't need to be in the minors for the next 4 years.

some say he is not starter material.  I don't know him.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Reds take Nick Lodolo.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
It makes sense. I like the pick.
Reply/Quote
Keith Law’s projection is mid-rotation or bullpen.
Reply/Quote
Reds grab a shortstop in round 2

49) Reds: Rece Hind, SS, IMG Academy

Anybody got any info on his pre-draft ranking?
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2019, 12:53 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Reds grab a shortstop in round 2

49) Reds: Rece Hind, SS, IMG Academy

Anybody got any info on his pre-draft ranking?

MLB.com had him at 42.  Baseball America had him at 39.  

Big kid at 6'4.  Home run derby winner.  https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/rece-hinds-wins-under-armour-home-run-derby/vi-AABRloj
Reply/Quote
The kid that the Cincinnati Reds drafted in the third round will not likely sign. He was projected to go into mid 30s. If he does it would be quite a signing for the farm system
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(06-04-2019, 03:54 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: The kid that the Cincinnati Reds drafted in the third round will not likely sign. He was projected to go into mid 30s. If he does it would be quite a signing for the farm system

Possibly the same for the second rounder. He’s already committed to LSU. They both have similar profiles as average to below average third basemen with lots of power.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2019, 04:31 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Possibly the same for the second rounder. He’s already committed to LSU. They both have similar profiles as average to below average third basemen with lots of power.

The guy in the 3rd round may be able to play catcher.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(06-04-2019, 03:54 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: The kid that the Cincinnati Reds drafted in the third round will not likely sign. He was projected to go into mid 30s. If he does it would be quite a signing for the farm system

The Reds could just pay him as if he was drafted higher.
Reply/Quote
Draft by the numbers

3 LHP - first two pitchers drafted by the Reds were lefties - 1st and 5th rd
13 RHP
1 1B
3 2B
1 3B
3 SS
1 OF
4 CF
2 RF
8 C