Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mock draft
When I mock offseasons in my own mind sometimes I go "dream scenario," sometimes "what I would do" scenario, and sometimes "what the Bengals might do that won't make me sad" scenario.

This one is the latter. Let me be clear, **I am not advocating anything here**. I'm just trying to work within the parameters of how the Bengals FO typically behaves (last offseason's spending spree notwithstanding. I think the Waynes, Reader and XSF injuries might scare the rabbit back down the hole).

So here are the background assumptions of this mock:

Zac and Turner both retained, Anarumo fired. Aaron Glenn hired away from the Saints as our new DC.

Geno, XSF and Finney all cut.

WJIII, Alexander, Sims, Wilson, Huber, Bullock, Lawson, Perine, Thomas, Spain, Covington, Carter, Allen, Brown and Bledsoe all re-signed. Remember I'm advocating nothing here - just trying to think like the Bengals. Guys like Brown, Covington, etc might get cut in camp anyway, but I figure on these things to bring the roster to 51 to accurately model (using overthecap.com) how much money we have to spend.

Green and Williams and any other FA walk.

Bengals sign 3 mid to lower tier FAs, each in the $3M APY range. I base this on spotrac.com, and my own dot-connecting:

A.J. McCarron (gulp)
Tyus Bowser, OLB from the Ravens. Aids in transition to 3-4, was a great leader at Univ of Houston when our TE coach worked there.
Jermaine Eluemenor, G from the Pats. Yeah I love Thuney too but this is the type of OG the Bengals will sign, and he played for Turner at Texas A&M. Can't you just see it?

Based on my own, admittedly amateur, calculations the cap calculator at overthecap.com, we can do this and still have money to pay rookies and extend Bates, and have an injury pad left over.

This mock is also based on the assumption that a trade down is available, and the other team wants a top QB so we get a bonanza. Yes I know that may not happen, but indulge me here.

I did this at Thedraftnetwork.com, but can't seem to embed it here. You have to imagine an initial trade down with the Eagles, followed by a bunch of other trades up. These weren't all TDN's highest rated guys, I used my own knowledge/opinions too:

6. Ja'Marr Chase, WR, LSU
35. Take your pick of Carlos Basham, Aidan Hutchinson, or Jalen Twyman. I took Basham but regardless a pass rushing 5-tech for our 3-4 looks
38. Jackson Carman, OT, Clemson. To groom behind Hart, and he's from Cincy!
54. Tyler Shelvin, NT, LSU. Massive and raw, but his ceiling is Vince Wilfork (his floor is Pat Sims though). Pair him w/ Reader inside makes us STOUT.
104. Elijah Molden, CB, UW. One of the top slot corners in the draft.
146. James Wiggins, S, UC Bearcats.
181. Ronnie Bell, WR, Michigan.
182. Chris Rumph, Edge, Duke.
247. Chris Wilcox, CB, BYU.

Again, this is the "what might the Bengals really do that wouldn't make me pull my hair out" scenario. My "dream scenario" or "what I would do" scenarios are far better. My only question here is, would you totally hate it?
Reply/Quote
If Peneii Sewell is there they will draft him. No doubt.

If Thuney is not franchised I really believe they will do all they can to sign him.

AJ Green will not be resigned but WJIII will be signed.

I am not sure about Atkins because I really do not know what his deal is.

I hope he is actually injured and if so he will be back next year.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2020, 08:09 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: If Peneii Sewell is there they will draft him. No doubt.

If Thuney is not franchised I really believe they will do all they can to sign him.

AJ Green will not be resigned but WJIII will be signed.

I am not sure about Atkins because I really do not know what his deal is.

I hope he is actually injured and if so he will be back next year.

He's going to have rotator cuff surgery, so he is actually injured, and I agree he will be back next year.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2020, 02:50 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: Geno, XSF and Finney all cut.

WJIII, Alexander, Sims, Wilson, Huber, Bullock, Lawson, Perine, Thomas, Spain, Covington, Carter, Allen, Brown and Bledsoe all re-signed. Remember I'm advocating nothing here - just trying to think like the Bengals. 

This is an interesting exercise but I'm curious as to why you think they will cut XSF but re-sign Spain?

From a playing perspective it would seem to be a sideways move (PFF actually has XSF at 60.1 and Spain at 54.7 this year, which would be a downgrade, admittedly this is a small sample size but pretty much identical to their 2019 ratings). I don't think this would be a financial decision either - XSF costs $2.9m next year in cash with a cap hit of $3.2m but $0.67m in dead money and I doubt Spain would be materially cheaper.

I suspect re-signing both Lawson and WJIII is optimistic, although it makes little sense for a draft and develop team to let them walk.
Reply/Quote
2021 Mock on PFN

CIN

Penei Sewell
OT Oregon
CIN

Dylan Moses
LB Alabama
CIN

Alijah Vera-Tucker
OG USC
CIN

Shaka Toney
EDGE Penn State
CIN

Ambry Thomas
CB Michigan
CIN

Trey Sermon
RB Ohio State
CIN

Dante Stills
DT West Virginia
CIN

Josh Jobe
CB Alabama
Reply/Quote
After re-watching the Steelers game and only seeing a few snaps where they had a three man line(3rd and long), I seriously doubt they move to a 3-4 base.

1) The DTs they have are all pretty good, cutting it down to just one on the field at the same time will be difficult
2) The LBs they have are one 32 year old on a one year deal, a 2nd year player(Pratt), three Rookies and a weak Jordan Evans who is basically relegated to special teams because he makes too many mistakes on defense.
3) I don't see a 3-4 DE on the team except maybe Bledsoe and he's not very good.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Dream scenario would be sign Stanley trade back and draft Chase or Pitt.
Reply/Quote